Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 06:55 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times

Advertisements

I didn't know how many gorgeous women lived in Nashville until i visited the place. Now its one my fav cities in the world!!!! I love the friendly easy going nature of the people as well!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 02:50 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
As I've said multiple times before, in my personal situation, it is much more expensive here, except for (1) real estate (2) gas for the car, and (3) no state income tax. Hence what I have also said multiple times, everyone should run their own personal items to see and not take for a fact the blanket "oh it's so much cheaper here" statements as gospel. Other coworkers from Northern California and Washington DC have found similar issues.
What I am reading here is - sure I paid half a million less for virtually the same amount of house here vs. California and I don't have to pay $10k - $20k in income tax every year by living in Nashville but my auto insurance cost me $100 more per year and my favorite bottle of wine is a full $5 more. Did I mentin that my utilities are marginally more per month in Nashville? Depending on what metro you lived in back in California, sales tax could have actually been more there but if it was less it was only around 1% less.

Unless you took a 50% pay cut to move here, it is almost certainly a fair amount cheaper here than it was there. Seriously, compare the cost of a Sharks game to a Predators game for a little perspective.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:53 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
What I am reading here is - sure I paid half a million less for virtually the same amount of house here vs. California and I don't have to pay $10k - $20k in income tax every year by living in Nashville but my auto insurance cost me $100 more per year and my favorite bottle of wine is a full $5 more. Did I mentin that my utilities are marginally more per month in Nashville? Depending on what metro you lived in back in California, sales tax could have actually been more there but if it was less it was only around 1% less.

Unless you took a 50% pay cut to move here, it is almost certainly a fair amount cheaper here than it was there. Seriously, compare the cost of a Sharks game to a Predators game for a little perspective.
That's on the team. The Sharks have a great fan base and will pay money for the tickets. We have cheap tickets because if they were much more expensive, people would stop going. I've had season tickets for 15 years and love the Preds, but that's just the way it is. Tickets in Winnipeg are the league's 3rd most expensive but I'm willing to bet the COL in Winnipeg isn't off the charts but I may be wrong. But speaking of California, Orange County's team, the Ducks have the 2nd cheapest tickets in the league and their COL is much higher obviously.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:59 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
That's on the team. The Sharks have a great fan base and will pay money for the tickets. We have cheap tickets because if they were much more expensive, people would stop going. I've had season tickets for 15 years and love the Preds, but that's just the way it is. Tickets in Winnipeg are the league's 3rd most expensive but I'm willing to bet the COL in Winnipeg isn't off the charts but I may be wrong. But speaking of California, Orange County's team, the Ducks have the 2nd cheapest tickets in the league and their COL is much higher obviously.
The Preds - Sharks comparison was more of a general 'cost of living' statement. Tickets are just one component. There is parking and concessions too. You can substitute any northern California team for any Nashville team. It's just more expensive there then it is here and it really isn't even close.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:29 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
As I've said multiple times before, in my personal situation, it is much more expensive here, except for (1) real estate (2) gas for the car, and (3) no state income tax. Hence what I have also said multiple times, everyone should run their own personal items to see and not take for a fact the blanket "oh it's so much cheaper here" statements as gospel. Other coworkers from Northern California and Washington DC have found similar issues.
Ok here we go natural gas residential (I mean, really, the contributor specifically itemized power and natural gas utility cost as higher in Nashville if that counts as "similar issue")

S.F. :

Per Therm

Procurement-Baseline: $0.62347 (I) Excess: $0.62347 (I)

Transportation Charge: $0.63196

(I) $1.01114 (I)

Total: $1.25543 (I) $1.63461 (I)

S.F. average : $1.45 -----> http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/GAS_SCHEDS_G-1.pdf

L.A. :

price per therm $1.406 --------> Average Energy Prices in the Los Angeles Area

Nashville:

price per therm $.725 --------> Rate Sheets | Middle Tennessee Natural Gas

See you can't promise exorbitant pension plans without REALLY paying and driving cities like Stockton into bankruptcy.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:45 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Ok here we go natural gas residential (I mean, really, the contributor specifically itemized power and natural gas utility cost as higher in Nashville if that counts as "similar issue")

S.F. :

Per Therm

Procurement-Baseline: $0.62347 (I) Excess: $0.62347 (I)

Transportation Charge: $0.63196

(I) $1.01114 (I)

Total: $1.25543 (I) $1.63461 (I)

S.F. average : $1.45 -----> http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/GAS_SCHEDS_G-1.pdf

L.A. :

price per therm $1.406 --------> Average Energy Prices in the Los Angeles Area

Nashville:

price per therm $.725 --------> Rate Sheets | Middle Tennessee Natural Gas

See you can't promise exorbitant pension plans without REALLY paying and driving cities like Stockton into bankruptcy.
First of all, we didn't even have an air conditioner in SF and in the winter we did not have to run the heater. And that was the case with pretty much everyone I knew. I've said yet again, in my personal situation there are many things that are more expensive in Tennessee. I'm pretty much over this and out.

Last edited by JMT; 09-12-2014 at 06:01 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 10:26 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
I didn't know that the weather forecasters are really excellent at spotting possible tornadoes but SUCK at predicting rain. They are wrong 90% of the time when it comes to rain. 90% chance of rain? And my yard gets NOTHING. I'm going to get one of those diving rods and do it myself from now on!

Last edited by JMT; 09-12-2014 at 06:01 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 10:53 AM

116 posts, read 160,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I didn't know that the weather forecasters are really excellent at spotting possible tornadoes but SUCK at predicting rain. They are wrong 90% of the time when it comes to rain. 90% chance of rain? And my yard gets NOTHING. I'm going to get one of those diving rods and do it myself from now on!

N.Cal - things are more expensive here but you DO like it here, yes? You bought a house? So sometimes there's more to a city's appeal than a lower cost of living. Less traffic, lower property taxes, friendlier people, no earthquakes, etc.
Nashville is more expensive than Northern California? I can't see how thats possible???

Old 09-15-2014, 09:17 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Husband attacked when he refuses to buy wife hat on Broadway. Not making light of spousal abuse here (in this case, the wife attacking the husband), but the subtle hints that they were not native Nashvillians:

a) Outside of Margaritaville
b) He was wearing a cowboy hat

Note to future locals...if you are wearing a cowboy hat on lower Broad, you are not a local.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:10 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Husband attacked when he refuses to buy wife hat on Broadway. Not making light of spousal abuse here (in this case, the wife attacking the husband), but the subtle hints that they were not native Nashvillians:

a) Outside of Margaritaville
b) He was wearing a cowboy hat

Note to future locals...if you are wearing a cowboy hat on lower Broad, you are not a local.
Nailed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: