Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:37 PM

17 posts, read 46,056 times

Advertisements

After looking at housing cost, I have to admit I am very surprised at the cost of housing in middle Tennessee. I still really like the midtown area and west end. Franklin has the accolades from what I can tell but it seems like ultra suburbia. I like a little more culture and diversity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 09:55 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,700,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revktbakes View Post
After looking at housing cost, I have to admit I am very surprised at the cost of housing in middle Tennessee. I still really like the midtown area and west end. Franklin has the accolades from what I can tell but it seems like ultra suburbia. I like a little more culture and diversity!
Well, you just mentioned three of the most expensive areas.

You won't even get economic diversity.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:49 AM

145 posts, read 203,635 times
Quote:
So i just got a promotion and will need to relocate from america's finest city to Nashville. I am looking for places to live where my kids can get the best education. So far we really like the area around Vanderbilt and they are one of my biggest clients.

My daughter is 5 and in Kindergarten. She is currently in a Chinese Immersion program here in San Diego. We would like to continue this type of language immersion if possible and I was told there is a Chinese immersion program at Eakin Elemenary.

My son is 6, in first grade and has Cerebral Palsy. I was also informed about Harris Hillman special education school which is close to Eakin and Vanderbilt.

We arent tied to any area because I work from home and my wife is a stay at home mom but I would like some input on these two schools or other options for education.

We will rent for a year and purchase once we decide on a place to live. Schools are really the biggest determining factor. Our budget is 2500.00 max for a 3 bedroom.
yes

Old 09-23-2014, 08:37 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,641,966 times
Quote:
Franklin in particular and Williamson County in general are very: white, wealthy, conservative. I have a very liberal friend who lives in Thompson Station (one of Williamson County's less affluent areas but still very nice) and the county politics drive her nuts. Nashville would be a better fit for you I think. People rave about Franklin (it's very historical and has picturesque, Main Street qualities) but it's not for everyone. Especially if you are looking for diversity. Just FYI - I'm from Nashville and live in Los Angeles (moved back to Nashville for 2011/12 and came back because of my job - but visit often and keep up with news, etc).

A lot of Nashville is suburban but it's more varied and diverse. Still, we aren't talking about real walkable neighborhoods for the most part. It's subdivisions designed with cars in mind. East Nashville is just being gentrified and there are areas that are still dangerous just blocks from the gentrified section. The Vanderbilt/West End area is nice and diverse (lots of college students from around the world). This area had two main streets - 21st Ave S. which turns into Hillsboro Road, and West End Ave which turns into Harding Road. Farther out Hillsboro Rd. is Green Hills, a very upscale area with a mall and a lot of shopping. Harding Road goes to Belle Meade - where upscale is an understatement (where the "old" money lives). Both are lovely, white, and conservative.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:14 PM

17 posts, read 46,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Franklin in particular and Williamson County in general are very: white, wealthy, conservative. I have a very liberal friend who lives in Thompson Station (one of Williamson County's less affluent areas but still very nice) and the county politics drive her nuts. Nashville would be a better fit for you I think. People rave about Franklin (it's very historical and has picturesque, Main Street qualities) but it's not for everyone. Especially if you are looking for diversity. Just FYI - I'm from Nashville and live in Los Angeles (moved back to Nashville for 2011/12 and came back because of my job - but visit often and keep up with news, etc).

A lot of Nashville is suburban but it's more varied and diverse. Still, we aren't talking about real walkable neighborhoods for the most part. It's subdivisions designed with cars in mind. East Nashville is just being gentrified and there are areas that are still dangerous just blocks from the gentrified section. The Vanderbilt/West End area is nice and diverse (lots of college students from around the world). This area had two main streets - 21st Ave S. which turns into Hillsboro Road, and West End Ave which turns into Harding Road. Farther out Hillsboro Rd. is Green Hills, a very upscale area with a mall and a lot of shopping. Harding Road goes to Belle Meade - where upscale is an understatement (where the "old" money lives). Both are lovely, white, and conservative.
That was well written Spikett. I think we are dead set on Hillsboro/West-End are unless my wife changes her mind before we leave in a few weeks.

We are taking a scouting trip to find someplace to live next weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville