Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 02:30 PM

116 posts, read 159,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
You're in a pretty safe area.

Chances are you won't have any problems, but since you've got so much invested in your house, etc., it wouldn't hurt to protect it.

Our former neighbors moved up to Portland, and figured they wouldn't need an alarm system. They came home from work one day & found their home had been completely trashed by burglars. You never know ....
Yikes - in all honesty, and in my opinion only, having lived in Philly proper, NY border (in NJ) Florida and MA - a guard dog is your best bet. I have two - a GSD and Komondor - you can't get passed these dogs if you tried - excellent at deterring any potential burglaries or property damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 02:39 PM

362 posts, read 644,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poety View Post
Yikes - in all honesty, and in my opinion only, having lived in Philly proper, NY border (in NJ) Florida and MA - a guard dog is your best bet. I have two - a GSD and Komondor - you can't get passed these dogs if you tried - excellent at deterring any potential burglaries or property damage.
I have two pugs that are a handful. Don't think he would ever go for another since he didn't want these 😞
But I agree......guard dogs are the best. One of the houses that was burglarized behind me now has a bull mastiff

Old 09-14-2014, 02:58 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,725,840 times
I have two GSDs myself.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I have two GSDs myself.
Thats probably enough alarm system LOL

Old 09-14-2014, 04:07 PM

65 posts, read 197,289 times
Any dog that barks is good enough. Even small dogs will put up a good front when behind a door. A "guard dog" is many times more likely to bite someone other than a criminal. If you go that route be sure to have good home insurance and be willing to pay more for your "agressive breed".

The fear industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. Burglars usually don't kick in front doors and walk into your house like the Hulk...and if they did they would still have 30 seconds to a minute to grab something before the alarm goes off, then the alarm company calls you, then they call the police, and 20 minutes later the police show up if they aren't too busy.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by think365 View Post
Any dog that barks is good enough. Even small dogs will put up a good front when behind a door. A "guard dog" is many times more likely to bite someone other than a criminal. If you go that route be sure to have good home insurance and be willing to pay more for your "agressive breed".

The fear industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. Burglars usually don't kick in front doors and walk into your house like the Hulk...and if they did they would still have 30 seconds to a minute to grab something before the alarm goes off, then the alarm company calls you, then they call the police, and 20 minutes later the police show up if they aren't too busy.
Very true - my GSD bit our town cop

Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,272,590 times
This is an excellent article with Home Security Tips (lighting, landscaping, doors, windows, security systems, etc.)

http://ci.show-low.az.us/departments...urity_tips.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: