Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 02:42 PM

12 posts, read 10,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I have a small house - 1500 sq ft, in Franklin.

Water, electricity, and gas run me $200 a month on average. More when it's really hot or really cold, less during in between months, but that's how much I budget. (so maybe $100 each?)

If you can split rent, that would be great - so maybe $700 each?

Internet alone might run $50. TV & internet maybe $125? There are all those 'bundles' when you start out with service.

Other costs would be:
Cell Phone
Health Insurance
Renters Insurance (cheap and worth it)
Car Insurance
Car maintenance
Gas for the car

Housing is the biggest chunk of your budget and if you can split rent and utilities, $40,000 should be good!

Thanks!

Yeah I factor in the other costs and tried to estimate rent and utilities.(I was much higher in my own estimates)

I just wanted to make sure that $40k would be enough to live and still be able to have fun, mostly on the weekends. Or be able to go away for a weekend/week. Sometimes it's hard for me to believe the online calculators when they say making $40,000 in TN is equivalent to $55k here in NJ as far as cost of living is concerned covering everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 03:10 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Sometimes they are not overly accurate but I know New Jersey is an expensive state. Property taxes (which you don't have to worry about yet) are very high . . NJ is #1. BUT you will find wages here lower, too. So be sure that you can really get that $40,000 salary.

Electricity is cheap here - New Jersey (in 2014) was 14.01 cents per kilowatt hour and Tennessee was 9.50 cents.

Apartment might pay water/sewer/garbage????

Best of luck!

PS. No state income tax but sales tax is kinda high - can be as high as 9.75%.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:39 PM

Yeah property taxes here are ridiculous. When searching in the past jobs were about 30-40k depending on the job/company. Luckily the company my father works for is in need of employees in positions I would work and he's confirmed a starting pay.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:45 AM

456 posts, read 586,811 times
40K is fine for TN but you're not going to live lavishly or think you can take vacations frequently.Apartments here are about 1000 a month or higher. Cost of living is a lot higher here in Nash Metro than it was 10-15 years ago. Buying a car or large purchase will cost at least 9.25% or higher in sales tax alone. Groceries typically carry a 7% or so tax as well.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
40K is fine for TN but you're not going to live lavishly or think you can take vacations frequently.Apartments here are about 1000 a month or higher. Cost of living is a lot higher here in Nash Metro than it was 10-15 years ago. Buying a car or large purchase will cost at least 9.25% or higher in sales tax alone. Groceries typically carry a 7% or so tax as well.
Considering property tax for the house we live in now is about $9,500 a year compared to $1,500-$2000 there, I can deal with sales tax being 2-3% more. I do more weekend trips which only add up to a few $100 for the whole trip.

The apartment my father got in I believe Murfreesboro is $1020 or $1050 a month for what they call a "deluxe" 2 bed room 2 bath. I would be lucky to get a 1 bed room apartment for that cost where I live now.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:30 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z33mike View Post
Considering property tax for the house we live in now is about $9,500 a year compared to $1,500-$2000 there, I can deal with sales tax being 2-3% more. I do more weekend trips which only add up to a few $100 for the whole trip.

The apartment my father got in I believe Murfreesboro is $1020 or $1050 a month for what they call a "deluxe" 2 bed room 2 bath. I would be lucky to get a 1 bed room apartment for that cost where I live now.
Commuting to Nashville from Murfreesboro along I-24 will suck. Murfreesboro is cheaper, but you'll pay for it in wear/tear, gas, and time. I personally wouldn't want to do it.

While Nashville is still cheaper than most of NJ, property values and rents are rising, fast. Nashville is super hot and lots of people are moving there from the northeast looking for cheap, country living, only to find a busy, growing city that isn't significantly cheaper than where they came from.

$40k should be doable assuming you have some skill level, but it's not a lot of money in Nashville. A LOT of people are moving there, so there is a lot of competition for jobs, more than you may expect. I wouldn't feel comfortable paying $1k/month in rent on a $40k income. It might be doable if you have no debt and have very inexpensive tastes.

I would be cautious before making the move, especially if you're in a relatively comfortable spot in NJ. Nashville is a lot of fun, but it takes a good amount of money to enjoy it.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:57 AM

Well I am not moving to Nashville or even working in Nashville, not sure how that came about so sorry for any confusion. Right now I travel 63 miles to and from for work while paying tolls on the highway which is $2.50 per day. Traffic is horrible here due to being close to NYC and the beaches, I couldn't begin to explain how bad it is.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:43 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Are you working in Murfreesboro? 40K is plenty to live comfortably in Murfreesboro. You could also look at Smyrna. That would put you halfway between the Boro and Nashville if you think you will want to go to Nashville regularly for entertainment, eating out etc. And Smyrna is probably a little cheaper than Murfreesboro.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Are you working in Murfreesboro? 40K is plenty to live comfortably in Murfreesboro. You could also look at Smyrna. That would put you halfway between the Boro and Nashville if you think you will want to go to Nashville regularly for entertainment, eating out etc. And Smyrna is probably a little cheaper than Murfreesboro.

Yes, right near the Amazon center off of 24 and Joe B Jackson pkwy.

I live about 30-45 minutes to NYC depending on where you want to go if I hit no traffic. I do not need to live in a city, I prefer not to, but I still want to be near it. I am trying to stay in an area that isn't too much different than what I am used to here. Stores and all that stuff being few minutes away. I do not mind driving 10-15 mins to the stores and 5 minutes after is open land.

When I was there and when I talked to a realtor, I saw that I could get what I am looking for as far as that goes. Living near any schools wouldn't be an issue because I do like to have fun once in awhile and there will be plenty of people my age probably with similar interests all around.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:00 PM

456 posts, read 586,811 times
If yoy are living all the way down I24 @ joe jackson you are probably in for a culture shock. I hope you enjoy good ole' rednecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville