Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:10 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,070,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksmart View Post
Are tornadoes really that big of an issue there? I never realized they were so problematic in Middle Tennessee.
Kinda. It's not like Oklahoma or Kansas or somewhere like that but they do happen. Tornado Warnings are fairly rare though IMO. The vast majority of storms come and go without them.

I think Mt. Juliet was testing sirens out on Saturday in Providence. I was walking out of the bank and there was an unrelenting loud siren-type of noise going on nearby. Then I realized it was exactly noon so that must have been the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 10:40 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,054,177 times
1. Watch a local TV channel. If cable goes out (or power) I use this Twitter feed (@nashseverewx). It is only "on" when there is an approaching storm. Tells you everything you would hear on the TV in terms of locations and when to go in and out of your "safe place".

https://mobile.twitter.com/nashseverewx

I can get it on my iPhone. I can also sometimes get a live feed on the Channel 4 weather center (on my iPhone) but I prefer to protect my battery life on the iPhone.

2. I DID buy a basic weather radio (Midland WR 120EZ). It DOES sound an alarm and after it wakes me up, I turn on the TV. I turn the radio off after it has woken me up as it DOES tend to be . . . persistent, as previously mentioned.

3. I signed up for a Weather Call service which calls my cell AND (yes I still have one) landline with alerts. You can decide what alerts you want - flooding, thunderstorms, tornadoes, locusts, Justin Bieber's in town, etc. It's $10 a year. I think it might be through Channel 4? DM me if you want the info.

4. We have sirens where I live but they are sort of distant. Certainly wouldn't wake me up but I can hear them if I am awake and alert!

5. On a day when they are predicting a storm, I make sure my iPhone and iPad are fully charged. For info AND entertainment!

6. Also, go to your local Kroger, Public, Whole Foods in the hours preceding the storm and buy milk and bread. Even if you are lactose intolerant. It's 'tradition'!

Old 10-13-2014, 12:21 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,699,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
1. Watch a local TV channel. If cable goes out (or power) I use this Twitter feed (@nashseverewx). It is only "on" when there is an approaching storm. Tells you everything you would hear on the TV in terms of locations and when to go in and out of your "safe place".

https://mobile.twitter.com/nashseverewx

I can get it on my iPhone. I can also sometimes get a live feed on the Channel 4 weather center (on my iPhone) but I prefer to protect my battery life on the iPhone.

2. I DID buy a basic weather radio (Midland WR 120EZ). It DOES sound an alarm and after it wakes me up, I turn on the TV. I turn the radio off after it has woken me up as it DOES tend to be . . . persistent, as previously mentioned.

3. I signed up for a Weather Call service which calls my cell AND (yes I still have one) landline with alerts. You can decide what alerts you want - flooding, thunderstorms, tornadoes, locusts, Justin Bieber's in town, etc. It's $10 a year. I think it might be through Channel 4? DM me if you want the info.

4. We have sirens where I live but they are sort of distant. Certainly wouldn't wake me up but I can hear them if I am awake and alert!

5. On a day when they are predicting a storm, I make sure my iPhone and iPad are fully charged. For info AND entertainment!

6. Also, go to your local Kroger, Public, Whole Foods in the hours preceding the storm and buy milk and bread. Even if you are lactose intolerant. It's 'tradition'!

Nah, bread and milk is only required when snow is predicted. You never know when flurries will keep you trapped in your house for weeks, and you don't want to die of starvation.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:29 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,070,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Nah, bread and milk is only required when snow is predicted. You never know when flurries will keep you trapped in your house for weeks, and you don't want to die of starvation.
Not only are the flurries a dangerous hazard, but don't forget that it'll be so soooo cold that they won't melt for at least 10 days.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:55 PM

AND the schools will be closed for at least 10 days so the malls and movie theaters will be packed!

Old 10-13-2014, 04:34 PM

362 posts, read 642,974 times
Hope everyone is alright. Please stay safe city data friends. Scary night ahead for all of us

Old 10-13-2014, 05:11 PM

Yes, just got a warning about the tornado WATCH on my phone and of course, it is big news ad nauseam on the local TV channels. I know it's important but I wish there was a way they could just chime in when it gets closer . . . rather than hearing what it's doing in Kentucky.

They do tend to over hype . . then it becomes the boy who cried wolf. You get all tensed up and then the storm weakens and we don't even get a drop of rain. And after a while you tend to pay less attention.

Sure is moving much faster than they thought it would move.

Will check in later. Have to go out at 9:30 to pick up my niece from work . . .

Old 10-13-2014, 05:22 PM

7,892 posts, read 12,597,313 times
Just bought my first weather radio a few months ago, it seems to be a good warning system. I have it set to only go off for tornado warnings.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:56 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,210,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksmart View Post
Are tornadoes really that big of an issue there? I never realized they were so problematic in Middle Tennessee.
May be a result of the Nashville floods a few years ago. Made a big mess. There have been enough tornadoes in 15 years to hit downtown Nashville, Goodletsville, & other towns in Middle TN.

The problem is we may have the same frequency as elsewhere, making a 2nd tornado alley, this time in a populated area. The NWS & the news here are in a better to overwarn mode to be better prepared. Not sure if better tech can reduce warnings or be more specific.

You may hear on the news of the bad storm in Alabama, Mississippi, just across the border from TN. Sometimes you hear of a storm in Dallas TX headed east. Would like to have it go somewhere else. All these storms are enough to be on alert to be safe.

Google map has a feature that plots past tornadoes.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:51 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,891,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi shots View Post
Hope everyone is alright. Please stay safe city data friends. Scary night ahead for all of us
Ditto. I just moved out of state 9 days ago, but I'm watching on the Weather Channel. Stay up, stay informed, stay safe. Heed all warnings 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville