Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:14 AM

7 posts, read 61,643 times

Advertisements

Hello... My son's and hubby and I are moving to TN this summer. We are looking at the Sumner County area right above Nashville. My question is how much and how often does it snow there? I have property in Linden and we are building a small vacation house there but we can't live there. I want to live near somewhere big city. Not in the city because we want at least 20 acres. My kids and hubby need property to ride 4 wheelers on. We have that here in Florida.

I am asking about snow because I drive a school bus for a living and I am just curious to know how often and how much I have to deal with the ice and snow.

I saw snow for the first time last February and it was in TN. I am 40 so I guess it is about time I saw snow! My kids never have seen snow. They are 17 and 14.

Thanks in advance.

Sonja
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 12:15 PM

51 posts, read 81,062 times
Can't tell ya from experience. But me and my wife are moving to Knoxville and had also checked into Nashville as well. Seems like they average between 10-15 inches of snowfall anually depending on where you reference online. That most likely means some years they get a few dustings, then some years they get a couple of dustings and a few actual accumulations. Then some years they may get dumped on once or twice. I imagine it would vary from year to year. We are looking forward to moving from the north Dallas area where we get mostly light ice storms and very little accumulations of snow. Knoxville sounds to be much better for getting at least one or two good snowfalls per year most years.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:56 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,783 times
Nashville doesn't get much snow. About two or three years ago there was a snow with maybe 3-5 inches or so. It was gone the next day. Other than that it has mostly been dustings or like an inch for most of the past decade.
Sometimes even the threat of snow will close school. Once (in Knoxville) when I was in middle school we left school during first period and it only rained a little.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:53 PM

71 posts, read 408,465 times
We moved to Hendersonville (Sumner County) in May so we haven't been through a winter yet. But all my friends who have grown up here say it really doesn't snow. I guess up north towards Springfield they get a few inches and people take their kids up there to play in it before it all melts. Since the school district extends so far north, Hendersonville schools will have snow days when it snows in the northern part of the county (even if it isn't snowing here).

However, forecasters are predicting a colder winter and I believe the farmer's almanac calls for a few more inches this year.

Hope that helped!

Old 11-06-2006, 10:33 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStar View Post
We moved to Hendersonville (Sumner County) in May so we haven't been through a winter yet. But all my friends who have grown up here say it really doesn't snow. I guess up north towards Springfield they get a few inches and people take their kids up there to play in it before it all melts. Since the school district extends so far north, Hendersonville schools will have snow days when it snows in the northern part of the county (even if it isn't snowing here).

However, forecasters are predicting a colder winter and I believe the farmer's almanac calls for a few more inches this year.

Hope that helped!
I seem to remember one winter where the Brentwood area got major ice and there were a lot of accidents.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:53 PM

LauraC

Yeah, I responded to the OP with a PM about that

A friend of mine said they had a blizzard-like storm here 5-10 years back and people were just abandoning their cars on the interstates because no one was prepared to drive in the snow. I don't know for sure, of course, because we just moved here earlier this year. But she's grown up in Sumner county, and that's her account of it.

Personally, I hope we get a few days of snow this year. Not enough to be bothersome, but enough to be a novelty for the kiddos...and me !

Old 11-07-2006, 10:58 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStar View Post
LauraC

Yeah, I responded to the OP with a PM about that

A friend of mine said they had a blizzard-like storm here 5-10 years back and people were just abandoning their cars on the interstates because no one was prepared to drive in the snow. I don't know for sure, of course, because we just moved here earlier this year. But she's grown up in Sumner county, and that's her account of it.

Personally, I hope we get a few days of snow this year. Not enough to be bothersome, but enough to be a novelty for the kiddos...and me !
There was a blizzard in 1993 and an ice storm in Middle TN in early 1994. Since then, not much. Just the one mentioned in my previous post on this thread.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:12 AM
RJC

1 posts, read 40,980 times
Default Heavy snow possible

I've lived in Nashville for ten years but I grew up in NE Ohio so I've seen plenty of snow. A couple years back we had a very quick and heavy snow. 10 inches fell over a couple hours. Basically travel stopped. People were stuck on the highway etc. This was a freak storm and it was very unusual. This was a snowfall that would have crippled many cities. For the most part expect two or three light snowfalls a season. The schools will all be closed.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 AM

It snowed last night! Kind of... Just little flurries that melted right before they hit the ground. But that counts, right??!!

Old 11-20-2006, 01:27 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Yes that counts. We had some flurries in Crossville this morning also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville