Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:04 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
This is part of the problem with a "hot" region. People move to the hot region, oftentimes with little regard for their own personal situation, and they think they can figure it out when they get there. Unless something major were to change in my own situation, there would be no reason for me to move back South, as there is no way I can make what I make working for my current company in Nashville. If I move to HQ near Boston, I'd be pushing six figures. I couldn't make $40k in Nashville. Even after you consider COL, the Boston salary, in my case, is still far superior.
Yes, you get it as you have experienced it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 PM

456 posts, read 586,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Yeah I'm 29 and work downtown. People are thrown off when I tell them I grew up here and am content living cheaper in the suburbs. No one is from here anymore.

lol...yeah, that's the truth. I always chuckle when a "transplant" talks about areas of the city like they are the experts. I always think to myself, "Sorry, I really don't care about your hipster lifestyle in East Nashville".

It still puzzles me how this area is now "cool". I've heard so many people tell me a story along the lines of "well...I was at CMA fest and thought Nashville was a cool town so I moved here". My first reaction is always, "You moved here because of a concert?".

Old 12-19-2014, 01:17 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times
I think Nashville is a beautiful city, and can see why so many people want to live there. I particularly like the downtown area, but have been told that this area is prone to flooding. I did remember reading about the big flood in 2010, but I am sure that city officials have done some things to help prevent this from happening again.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:15 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
lol...yeah, that's the truth. I always chuckle when a "transplant" talks about areas of the city like they are the experts. I always think to myself, "Sorry, I really don't care about your hipster lifestyle in East Nashville".

It still puzzles me how this area is now "cool". I've heard so many people tell me a story along the lines of "well...I was at CMA fest and thought Nashville was a cool town so I moved here". My first reaction is always, "You moved here because of a concert?".
You'd like me, then: I moved to Nashville for three years out of necessity, and then went back northeast where I'm from. I will wait for my award or ticker tape parade -- If only everyone was like me and no one ever moved anywhere!

Old 12-20-2014, 01:19 AM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I think Nashville is a beautiful city, and can see why so many people want to live there. I particularly like the downtown area, but have been told that this area is prone to flooding. I did remember reading about the big flood in 2010, but I am sure that city officials have done some things to help prevent this from happening again.
Not much the city can do when you get 12 inches of rain over 2 days time.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:08 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Not much the city can do when you get 12 inches of rain over 2 days time.

True...

Old 12-20-2014, 07:32 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
[quote=titanspreds_04;37693323]lol...yeah, that's the truth. I always chuckle when a "transplant" talks about areas of the city like they are the experts. I always think to myself, "Sorry, I really don't care about your hipster lifestyle in East Nashville".

Not everybody on the East side is a hipster.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:01 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
[quote=artemis;37708185]
Quote:

Not everybody on the East side is a hipster.

And hipsters live in neighborhoods besides EN!

Old 12-23-2014, 09:23 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

I think it's a cool city and I'm glad it's growing but a lot of the stuff the transplants are into doesn't really appeal to me. Kinda makes feel you a social outcast sometimes to be honest.

I used to always joke that people I met in college would come to Nashville for fun on weekends and then would move here after graduating because they know where to have fun in their down time (Broadway......of course....because that's so "cool") and they didn't want to stay in the college town or move back home. I'm only now noticing that it seems to be the truth rather than a joke. It's actually sort of funny and interesting to watch the evolution of a young transplant as they come here being a cowboy-boot wearing, Broadway partier.....then realize over time that it's not what it's always cracked up to be...and see them start to spread out into other areas like Midtown, East Nashville, etc.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:26 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I LOVE NASHVILLE, best city in America by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville