Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:01 AM

53 posts, read 75,788 times

Advertisements

DC, I go to Navarre regularly, it takes me about 6:20 drive time plus stoppage - usually a bit under 7 hours total. Navarre Beach has 6 high rise condo complexes, many low rise buildings, and homes. Restaurants are Navarre's weakness, there are several 2 star type places but if you are looking for quality dining you have to go to Fort Walton, Pensacola or Destin. Check out NavarreBeachLife.com for the webcam and more info.

To better avoid the summer check in/check out traffic congestion, look for a Sunday to Sunday rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 01:26 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,284,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Please do report back! We are starting to plan for our trip next June and I'd love to know what construction looks like. I recall construction around that planned community on 331 that (I think) sits between I 10 and the bay. There was absolutely no reason for it...no wreck, some cones/barrels but no active construction. Then it sped up for a few miles and slowed down to a complete stop before the bridge over the bay. No construction on the bridge, but construction just before it. There was some active construction in that area. Nothing like being within striking distance of your destination, stuck in construction traffic, with 2 kids melting down in the backseat to get you in the vacation spirit!

I've never been to Navarre. How does it compare with some of the sleepier 30A communities like Blue Mountain? Are there high rises or is everything low rise like 30A?

Have a safe trip! Hope it stays warm for you.
Navarre is by far the gulfs best kept secret. It is very "alone" if thats what you're looking for. As other posters have said, food is a little weaker there, but its not a far drive down the gulf coast hwy to Pensacola beach where you can eat whatever. Several local haunts on the north side of the bay there are really good, they just don't look like high end places.

I'll let you know about the traffic up until Freeport, then I head west towards Niceville from there. 331 bridge needs some rework, but I never had much of an issue. If Destin is where you're headed, just do the same and turn west in Freeport towards Niceville and take the midbay bridge over. 2 or 3 dollar toll, but worth beating the traffic if the 331 bridge is congested.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:52 PM

222 posts, read 635,750 times
Just throwing my vote in for Navarre Beach too. If I'm going to that general area, then it's Navarre for sure. Love it! If you have more time to drive--say double the drive, I'd say head on down to Anna Maria Island. It's just a fantastic place with no high rises and a great view directly west for some spectacular sunsets.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:02 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,697,368 times
I think Destin is a quicker drive, but only by about 30 minutes.

If you haven't been to GS before, you should definitely try to eat at Lambert's Café in Foley (home of the throwed rolls) and Lulu's (owned by Jimmy Buffet's sister). We also like the Floribama- a bar on the beach and Tacky Jacks for breakfast. And if you have time, visit the Naval Museum in Pensacola. It's free and really good.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I think Destin is a quicker drive, but only by about 30 minutes.

If you haven't been to GS before, you should definitely try to eat at Lambert's Café in Foley (home of the throwed rolls) and Lulu's (owned by Jimmy Buffet's sister). We also like the Floribama- a bar on the beach and Tacky Jacks for breakfast. And if you have time, visit the Naval Museum in Pensacola. It's free and really good.
Closer to drive to Sikeston if you want to eat at Lamberts. JMO

Lulus is good, but nothing beats some of the small hole in the wall places along the gulf coast. Nicks, Tradwinds, several others I've been to. The prices are better, the food is just as good if not better then the chain restaurants.

I haven't been to Lamberts in a few years, but a friend of mine flys his plane over from Clarksville and said they aren't as good as they used to be. YMMV

Old 11-11-2014, 12:55 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,429,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
And if you have time, visit the Naval Museum in Pensacola. It's free and really good.
Second this... And if you can really time things well, the Blue Angels do practice runs along the coast certain times of the year.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:46 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,697,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Closer to drive to Sikeston if you want to eat at Lamberts. JMO

Lulus is good, but nothing beats some of the small hole in the wall places along the gulf coast. Nicks, Tradwinds, several others I've been to. The prices are better, the food is just as good if not better then the chain restaurants.

I haven't been to Lamberts in a few years, but a friend of mine flys his plane over from Clarksville and said they aren't as good as they used to be. YMMV
The Sikeston location is closer to here, but since she is planning to be in Gulf Shores, she will be really close to the Foley Lamberts.

We've eaten at both locations this year and the Lamberts in Foley was much better than the original one in Sikeston.

I wouldn't consider Lambert's a chain, there are only two locations. None of the places I listed are chain restaurants.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:29 AM

It took me 7 hours and 15 minutes to get from Clarksville to the beach taking 331 south of Montgomery. No real construction, no major issues this time of year. I'm sure during the summer it will back up, but if you take C6 road to hwy 20 then west to Mid Bay, you could avoid the 331 bridge.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:32 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,373,633 times
CountryGirl2B= - update?

Old 11-17-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest455 View Post
I have looked at that route. I always take 231 trough Troy, Dothan etc.

Might have to try it sometime.
Depending on the part of Nashville one lives in, you could shave 20 to 40 minutes off of that number.

So if someone lives on the north side of Franklin, for instance, it would shorten the route by a good 40 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville