Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:24 PM

647 posts, read 1,515,696 times

Advertisements

1. How much should I have saved? I'm thinking I'll probably have around $2,000-3,000 saved by then.

2. How hard and how long will it take me to find a job? I know this varies, but I've been told it's a good entertainment/media city. Here's my resume in the first post:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...excluding.html
I also have lots of clerical experience as well.

3. Is it easy to find AirBnB or Couchsurfing there for the first few months?

4. What's the dating scene like for a single guy in his late 20s/mid 30s semi-hipster?

5. How easy is it to make friends there and are people friendly?

Any other advice is much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 06:26 AM

4,336 posts, read 4,686,302 times
I would double your savings estimate at least if you don't have a job to move to.

I know that CMT has recently (as of last week) laid off people who do what you do (or similar).

Nashville is not as cheap as people believe and salaries are generally lower than you'd think.

Probably not the best idea to move without a job.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:44 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,056,310 times
Couchsurfing normally is for 2 - 3 nights. I doubt you'd find someone willing to let you sleep on their couch for 4 months . . . Airbnb DOES have some cheapish options in the $30 a night range. I noted one that would let you stay for $450 a month. Still, by the time you added gas for the car and food, your $2,000 would go pretty quickly. I agree with N.Cal you'll need more "seed" money.

I see you are looking for lots of different cities for your relocation. I'd suggest a road trip. I have done that a few times . . see what 'hits' you.

Pick your top 5 and see how you can string them together on a trip, using some one way Southwest tickets, a rental car, Megabus? I visited Cincinnati, Myrtle Beach, Asheville, and Nashville over a 2 week period. Use couchsurfing for accommodation and to meet some locals.

What it costs to do will save you from moving to the wrong place, which will cost you way more in the long run.

ROAD TRIP!!

PS. Nashvillians are pretty friendly but of course, a lot depends on you in terms of dating and making friends and getting a job. Those are crystal ball type questions . . .

Old 11-15-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I see you are looking for lots of different cities for your relocation. I'd suggest a road trip. I have done that a few times . . see what 'hits' you.

Pick your top 5 and see how you can string them together on a trip, using some one way Southwest tickets, a rental car, Megabus? I visited Cincinnati, Myrtle Beach, Asheville, and Nashville over a 2 week period. Use couchsurfing for accommodation and to meet some locals.
Well, I'd have to quit my job that I'm using to save money in order to take a road trip.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:43 AM

No vacation time??? I don't suggest moving to a city you have never been to. I was all excited about moving do Denver back in my misspent youth and I was SO disappointed! It was FLAT!!! Where are the snow capped mountains??? The pine trees? John Denver???? At the very least, when you think you have made up your mind, spend a weekend there before you hand in your 2 week notice.

At the very least, have a Plan B.

Do you have a rental budget in mind? You'd need probably $800 for a one bedroom if you weren't planning on sharing . . . .

Old 11-15-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
No vacation time??? I don't suggest moving to a city you have never been to. I was all excited about moving do Denver back in my misspent youth and I was SO disappointed! It was FLAT!!! Where are the snow capped mountains??? The pine trees? John Denver???? At the very least, when you think you have made up your mind, spend a weekend there before you hand in your 2 week notice.

At the very least, have a Plan B.

Do you have a rental budget in mind? You'd need probably $800 for a one bedroom if you weren't planning on sharing . . . .
Yeah, I did this with NYC and was surprisingly disappointed, but I do think visiting there and living there are two drastically different experiences, so just visiting won't really show how I like living there.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:54 PM

26 posts, read 29,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
1. How much should I have saved? I'm thinking I'll probably have around $2,000-3,000 saved by then.

2. How hard and how long will it take me to find a job? I know this varies, but I've been told it's a good entertainment/media city. Here's my resume in the first post:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...excluding.html
I also have lots of clerical experience as well.

3. Is it easy to find AirBnB or Couchsurfing there for the first few months?

4. What's the dating scene like for a single guy in his late 20s/mid 30s semi-hipster?

5. How easy is it to make friends there and are people friendly?

Any other advice is much appreciated. Thanks guys.
I am currently in the same boat, except looking to move closer to next fall and will probably have a bit more in my savings than that. I am planning a trip, if nothing else, just for a few days to look at some areas I want to live in. With flight, hotel and possibly a car rental, it shouldn't be entirely too expensive. I can't imagine not checking out the place before moving. I know you said in a more recent post that visiting and living somewhere are pretty different, and I agree with that point. Happy moving, hopefully you find a great place!

Old 11-18-2014, 04:12 PM

Between visiting as a tourist (going to the Ryman, the Grand Ole' Opry, Lower Broad, Cheekwood, the Loveless) and MOVING here, is a 3rd possibility. To visit as a potential resident.

It means you drive around neighborhoods, test commute times, visit grocery stores and see what food prices are, Beer prices, how does a neighborhood look at night? How far is a hospital? Does the grocery store carry your favorite brand of cottage cheese (mine does not!)? Visit a couple of apartment complexes and see apartments in your price range. Meet with a realtor if you are looking to buy - most will at least suggest areas in your price range, if not show you around. Pick up a copy of the local newspaper and freebies. Try the city on for size.

I have moved around a lot and have been able to rule places out just by driving down Main Street or having lunch at a local restaurant.

It's not a perfect science but there are places that will 'hit' you and places where you just don't see yourself living. I think a big move is well worth the price of a visit. Use Airbnb instead of a hotel. Will be cheaper and you can actually meet and talk to a local.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Nashville is not as cheap as people believe and salaries are generally lower than you'd think.
Interesting, because someone in the thread I linked in my original post recommended Nashville because it's cheap.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:59 AM

223 posts, read 580,419 times
Default Cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Interesting, because someone in the thread I linked in my original post recommended Nashville because it's cheap.
Cheap is a relative term. If you come from say New York City, Nashville is cheap. If you come from some other places maybe it's now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville