Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 01:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolitanTN View Post
Which one is this?
There are two proposals, HCA and Bridgestone both moving their corporate HQs:

Bridgestone to bring 1,700 jobs, 30-story tower to SoBro

HCA breaks ground in North Gulch - Nashville Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 01:54 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,100 times
Where is HCA headquartered at right now?

Old 11-17-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Where is HCA headquartered at right now?
Behind Centennial Park (basically 25th and Charlotte).

Old 11-17-2014, 02:00 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
From my understanding their have been a couple of proposals for new tallests since the batman was built. For whatever reason, they didn't get built.

There was the amp, which caused more public outcry than it should have.

There was some bible theme park a out a half decade ago. When it didn't pass in Murfreesboro, it went to Lebanon. Same story.

Think about it, we could have had a couple new tallests, a brt line, and a theme park. That would have put us in a new tier, or at least leveled the playing field with a city like Charlotte.

At least our MSA is growing and we are receiving a lot of national attention at the moment. And we are experiencing a building boom. But aside from the 505 building that probably won't happen, nothing that could bridge the gap between Nashville and say Indy, Cindy, Charlotte, or Columbus is being built.
It's called the Batman? I've never been there, but pictures of the skyline have always made me think the Batman looks like a stingray.

Edit: Well, I just googled 'stingray' and I was surprised to see that stingrays don't have horns. I was thinking they did. So Batman it is.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
It's called the Batman? I've never been there, but pictures of the skyline have always made me think the Batman looks like a stingray.
It's known locally as "the Batman building."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Nth8QgvmEA...0/battower.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...81-d5w666a.jpg

Old 11-17-2014, 02:09 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Which one is this?
Nashville

Old 11-17-2014, 02:11 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There are two proposals, HCA and Bridgestone both moving their corporate HQs:

Bridgestone to bring 1,700 jobs, 30-story tower to SoBro

HCA breaks ground in North Gulch - Nashville Business Journal
HCA isn't moving. Parallon and SCRI, their subsidiaries, are consolidating at the Capitol View site.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:23 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I believe the AMP project failure is the biggest of those 3 issues you mentioned. The leaders in this area must engage in some inspired thinking when it comes to the issue of mass transit. And I include halo counties like Sumner, Rutherford, Wilson, and Williamson in this too. We are already at (or nearing) a saturation point with traffic and unless there is a convenient mass transit system put in place, the growing pains will only be more severe. I'm of the "if you build it, they will come" opinion on mass transit. The AMP might not have been the cure-all, but it certainly would have helped instill more of a mass transit culture on our city.

Personally, I don't quite get the Freudian obsessesion with tall buildings. Years ago I thought the Signature Tower was a great idea and would be great for the city. However, I'm much more impressed today in the quantity (but not the antiseptic style) of new mid sized buildings like the Pinnacle, and the proposed Bridgestone and Marriott properties. I think part of the tall building obsession comes with a civic pride/ego of asserting ourselves as a major player in the region maybe? That little brother syndrome we have often had with Atlanta and/or Charlotte possibly? But personally, I'd much rather have more mid sized buildings with unique architectural elements than a single 70 story behemoth.

Theme park...sure, if one was built I'd take my kids and we'd have a good time. And at some point I wouldn't be surprised if a Six Flags type park wasn't constructed somewhere outside the city simply to capitalize on us being a tourist destination and our own population growth. But to put it as a necessary element for the city to live out its potential seems arbitrary to me, personally.

We've defintely got a long way to go to live out our potential, I'll concede. But I don't think we can throw in the towel based on that criteria.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
HCA isn't moving. Parallon and SCRI, their subsidiaries, are consolidating at the Capitol View site.
Thanks for the clarification.

I agree with Don that "tall buildings" are not the only sign of a great city.

I would like to quantify Nashville's potential so I know how to answer.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:52 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would like to quantify Nashville's potential so I know how to answer.
Good point...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville