U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 PM

10 posts, read 6,967 times

Advertisements

Hello i am from califonia and i am concidering moving to nashville. I am 27 and i am a black male. I want to move to a place where i can be with my own race. I love, most of my family is in Memphis but memphis has too much crime fior me. So please if it does can you tell me what side of the city the african american part is in, and hoe may african american comminties are nearby. Is it a large spot, or is it just simply one street? What percentage of the people are black? Im not saying that i dont want to live with other races, infact too much of one race gets annoying. I just want a diverse community which has some african americans. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Me coming to nashville depends on your words!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 PM

624 posts, read 2,826,281 times
Dickerson Pike in East Nashville and also in the Bordeaux area

Old 01-02-2008, 10:15 PM

749 posts, read 1,053,224 times
There are some definite Black enclaves in Davidson County but I would also say a large amount of the Black population is well-dispersed throughout the city. Significant parts of North Nashville have a majority Black population. The neighborhoods around Jefferson Street are majority Black. However, most of these neighborhoods are a bit questionable. The Hope Gardens area, which is along Jefferson Street just to the west of Rosa Parks Blvd. (formerly 8th Ave. N), seems to be showing signs of improvement primarily because of the nearby Germantown and N. Capitol areas have become popular.

Bordeaux is a little further to the Northwest across the Cumberland River. This area is mostly low-income to middle-income working class African-American families. There are rough parts of Bordeaux and some that are okay. The further you get to the north, the better for the most part. The Jordonia/Enchanted Hills area which is actually to the Northeast of Bordeaux (centered around Eatons Creek Rd.) is a pretty nice established community with a large number of Black professionals. The Jordonia area is just now starting to become popular with lots of reasonably-priced new subdivisions going up around the established neighborhoods so look for that area to become more populated as well as more diverse.

There is also a large Black populations in areas of East Nashville as well as along Brick Church Pike and Dickerson Road. Again, for the most part, Nashville's African-American population is scattered throughout the other areas of the city.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 PM

250 posts, read 695,417 times
Default Diversity...

Hi there,

Nashville is such a melting pot of racial and ethnic groups...you can check 2006's numbers regarding the demographic makeup of each county by going here: US Census

You can also check the Nashville Crime Maps (http://pdmap2.police.nashville.org/website/nashville/viewer.htm?Title=Metro%20Nashville%20Crime%20Mappi ng - broken link)site for information about crime in various areas of town.

There are areas where there is a more concentrated populations of caucasians or african americans or asians or hispanics or curds or other ethnic/racial groups. Hopefully the information at the site above will help you.

Will you be renting or buying? And what will be your price range (either monthly rent or purchase price)? We can narrow down possibilities based on price for certain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious... View Post
Hello i am from califonia and i am concidering moving to nashville. I am 27 and i am a black male. I want to move to a place where i can be with my own race. I love, most of my family is in Memphis but memphis has too much crime fior me. So please if it does can you tell me what side of the city the african american part is in, and hoe may african american comminties are nearby. Is it a large spot, or is it just simply one street? What percentage of the people are black? Im not saying that i dont want to live with other races, infact too much of one race gets annoying. I just want a diverse community which has some african americans. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Me coming to nashville depends on your words!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:26 PM

Default price

My price range is any wear between 100k-230k. I am planning on bying because a lot of my family is going to be moving to Nashville. I want them to live in a nice community thats safe for the nine kids. Their are nine because i have 18 family members coming on, brothers, sisters, nephews, uncles, cousins, my parents, and my grandparents. Like i said i dont want to live in an afrcan american community if it is crime filled or poor. Eventually, my family in Memphis, Atlanta, Oakland, Houston, Jackson, mi, and Compton are moving out in Nashville. W are fed up with the crime, it was as if we were the only people in our side of our cities that wanted to live a crime free life. One reason I concidered Nashville becides my family in memphis is that it was rated number 5 in 2007 and number 4 in 2004 in the best places for african americans by blackenterprise. Another reason is that i heard Nashville is the gospel capitol of the USA. Is that true? I also heard it is rich is Jazz and Blues culture. My family and I love country music!!! One thing i dont understand is that id nashville is 30% african american, why is it know for being a white city with nothing to do but listen to country? At least in California the rumor is that everyone is white. Is that true? Please I have until February to decide!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 PM

6,300 posts, read 15,672,101 times
There's a very active black community in Nashville (although I believe the percentage is closer to 20% than 30%--I'd have to go look to be sure). There are three predominantly black universities, including a medical school that once graduated 2/3rd of the black doctors and dentists in the country (I assume that's changed somewhat now). Also, a few years ago both the vice-mayor (leader of the city council) and the Chief of Police were black. The music scene is diverse here, but jazz and blues are probably not as important now as it once was. At one time the Jefferson Street area was like a mini Harlem with all the clubs.

Remember that the people in California who have never been here learned most of what they know about Nashville from movies and TV shows and that type of thing. People from out-of-town are sometimes surprised to find that almost NO ONE wears cowboy hats here. Cowboy hats are only worn by some of the music people as part of their persona, or for fun when going to something like the Wildhorse Saloon to dance the Cotton-Eyed Joe. You could actually go all year and not see anyone with a cowboy hat.

But, in any event, you need to come visit and look around before deciding to move. I would suggest that to anyone thinking of moving to Nashville or any other city.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
There's a very active black community in Nashville (although I believe the percentage is closer to 20% than 30%--I'd have to go look to be sure). There are three predominantly black universities, including a medical school that once graduated 2/3rd of the black doctors and dentists in the country (I assume that's changed somewhat now). Also, a few years ago both the vice-mayor (leader of the city council) and the Chief of Police were black. The music scene is diverse here, but jazz and blues are probably not as important now as it once was. At one time the Jefferson Street area was like a mini Harlem with all the clubs.

Remember that the people in California who have never been here learned most of what they know about Nashville from movies and TV shows and that type of thing. People from out-of-town are sometimes surprised to find that almost NO ONE wears cowboy hats here. Cowboy hats are only worn by some of the music people as part of their persona, or for fun when going to something like the Wildhorse Saloon to dance the Cotton-Eyed Joe. You could actually go all year and not see anyone with a cowboy hat.

But, in any event, you need to come visit and look around before deciding to move. I would suggest that to anyone thinking of moving to Nashville or any other city.

A few years ago? I thought he was still the vice-mayor.?

Old 01-03-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
A few years ago? I thought he was still the vice-mayor.?
No, he gave up the seat to run for mayor. He finished third, I believe, out of a field of about eight.

Would you be interested in contacting him if I can get his e-mail address?

Old 01-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
No, he gave up the seat to run for mayor. He finished third, I believe, out of a field of about eight.
So is going to be the vice-mayor now or is he done with politics?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
So is going to be the vice-mayor now or is he done with politics?
I think he's working at Tennessee State University now (but I'm not sure). His father was something like the sports director or coach there years ago; the basketball arena is named the Gentry Center after him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville