Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:22 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,693,231 times

Advertisements

Part of what makes this question difficult is that it feels like there are two different issues here.

There are a LOT of different kinds of churches here, from start-up "faith groups" that meet in an empty storefront each week to the gamut of various denominations.

Some churches that SEEM laid-back in the "Come as you are! Wear jeans to church! We have a rock band!" kind of way are VERY pentecostal and conservative in their teaching, while some of the organized denominations that have organ music and gray heads in the pews may have very liberal beliefs.

Finding the right place will take earnestness on your part, patience and a lot of visits.

Having said that, I have a friend who attends Brookmeade Congragational Church, and while it is small it is welcoming.

Progressive Christianity | Brookmeade Congregational Church, UCC

I've also heard good things about 2nd Presbyterian.

http://secondpresbyterian.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 12:17 PM

427 posts, read 1,304,550 times
You might try Vine Street Christian near Vanderbilt.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:28 PM

99 posts, read 229,590 times
We have lived her for 3 years and have been looking for something like this as well. The problem we have found is the churches that are more open minded seem be very traditional in other ways, which we don't like. Would love to find a true "come as you are , wear jeans and be yourself" with rock band included, but also not held to conservative views on women and marriage.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:06 PM

374 posts, read 691,246 times
How about an old liberal church - Unitarian Universalist?

Old 12-15-2014, 11:11 PM

63 posts, read 99,149 times
That's a rough one - progressive churches tend to tie themselves to a denomination for various reasons. So yes, while there are progressive churches in Nashville and throughout the US, they're all generally aligned to a denomination and thus tied to that denomination's tradition to a degree.

Nondenominational churches generally exist b/c they disagreed with the progressive attitude of denominations, thus they broke off and went at it on their own. So finding a progressive one is going to be tough.

That said, here are some ones I suggest you take a look at - look at their websites, call them, talk to their members on Facebook, visit them on a Sunday, etc.

Glendale Baptist Church

Metropolitan Interdenominational Church - more or less an exclusive African-American church. Certain members of society would find it problematic to not know this ahead of time. That said, they're really affirming and their ministries team does a lot of great work, especially their HIV/AIDS prevention and education efforts.

Holy Trinity Community Church - I've never attended but I've spoken with people that have and they enjoy it. I do believe it's affiliated with the United Church of Christ but individual churches in the UCC denomination vary to large degrees since they get to express their own views. Their gallery shows worship services where it looks like nearly everyone is in jeans and tshirts/polos so there's that. Certainly one that I'd check out.

Unity of Nashville (Unity of Nashville) - I know absolutely nothing about this denomination or the church specifically. Here's the Wikipedia page on it (Unity Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). So, you'll have to check it out on your own.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:13 PM

63 posts, read 99,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
How about an old liberal church - Unitarian Universalist?
I got the impression they were looking for a strictly Christian church. But there are some decent UU options in Nashville.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:49 AM

104 posts, read 190,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balatro View Post
I got the impression they were looking for a strictly Christian church. But there are some decent UU options in Nashville.
This is correct, we're looking for a Christian church. Liberal and Christian don't have to be mutually exclusive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville