U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 01:57 PM

40 posts, read 165,609 times

Advertisements

Anyone know why the website "city-data.com" doesn't show the crime index for Nashville?

I can find the crime index for most other cities under that page. By looking at other sites (FBI Crime Reported webpage) it appears that Nashville has a high crime rate; just would like to figure out if it's high for the population or about normal. Of course if I relocate there I won't be living in the city but I'd like to not get jacked-up on my way to work either.

Still can't figure out which is the better city to relocate to:
Nashville or Knoxville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 02:43 PM

223 posts, read 502,700 times
Nashville's crime rate is about average. Most of it seems to be in a couple areas--Dickerson Rd. and downtown around all the music scene late at night. And domestic. The areas surrounding Nashville are great and usually quite safe.

Don't know Knoxville, really, but I really like the geography of Middle Tennessee. It's a beautiful area as far as land goes, but rapid growth is eating into some gorgeous farmland that once existed.

Best wishes!

Old 11-03-2006, 03:51 PM

408 posts, read 1,375,555 times
Somewhere on here is the post about how Nashville ranked in that National Survey that came out about a week ago. It's not the type of place where you always have to look over your shoulder. But like any place there are the bad parts that you want to avoid.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 PM

8 posts, read 63,213 times
I spent a summer in Nashville and walked (by myself) the downtown/West End area without any concerns. I'm a scrawny white guy, fyi. I would say it is no different than any other city it's size.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:53 PM

63 posts, read 302,546 times
There is a considerable amount of crime here. Once again, it depends on where you live. If you choose to buy the 100k house downtown near the projects, your chance of getting mugged are pretty high. Buy the new 200k house in Antioch, still some worries. Buy the 400k house in Brentwood, not so much worries.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:13 AM

7 posts, read 66,394 times
One thing that disturbs me about Metro Nashville is the size of its Police Department -- only about 1,500 officers. That's a citizen-to-officer ratio of about 420/1 for Metro proper. Chicago (from which I moved in late '03) has a citizen-to-officer ratio of 210/1 -- which translates into MUCH faster response times, even to "quality of life" complaints like excessively barking dogs, loud music (at ANY hour of the day or night), etc. Chicago also patrols using 2 officers per car; Nashville sends their brave men and women out solo -- which I don't like at all.

I bought in Antioch, in a subdivision that's beginning to slide downward. I intend to sell in '07. Our issues here are mainly noise, roaming dogs (same foolish owners, repeatedly) and litter. As an example, one mile west of my subdivision is the infamous Richards Road area -- there are about eight (8) registered sex offenders in that immediate neighborhood, and it's the scene of numerous "shots fired" reports, assaults, domestic calls and burglaries. Nashville is definitely PATCHY. The Police website gives updated report-filing information, based on zip code, patrol number and city council district.

Chicago is "patchy", as well, but in more clearly-defined geographic (i.e., racial) boundary-kinda ways. You knew what types of behaviors to expect based upon which neighborhood you were in. There's less segregation down here. I'm simply in search of a middle-class neighborhood where neighbors are mature and respect one another.

One resource that I failed to check prior to buying here was the public schools test score information. Antioch High School has (or recently had) the second-lowest math and reading test scores of all high schools in the Metro system. Even though I'm single and have no kids, my knowing those numbers alone would've caused me to run screamin' from this area. It doesn't take a scientist to figure out that kids who don't give a flip are being raised by parents who don't give a flip -- and that definitely causes all sorts of "quality of life" issues within neighborhoods.

Last edited by CowboyTim; 12-28-2006 at 02:19 AM..

Old 12-29-2006, 08:40 AM

117 posts, read 374,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTim View Post
One thing that disturbs me about Metro Nashville is the size of its Police Department -- only about 1,500 officers. That's a citizen-to-officer ratio of about 420/1 for Metro proper. Chicago (from which I moved in late '03) has a citizen-to-officer ratio of 210/1 -- which translates into MUCH faster response times, even to "quality of life" complaints like excessively barking dogs, loud music (at ANY hour of the day or night), etc. Chicago also patrols using 2 officers per car; Nashville sends their brave men and women out solo -- which I don't like at all.

I bought in Antioch, in a subdivision that's beginning to slide downward. I intend to sell in '07. Our issues here are mainly noise, roaming dogs (same foolish owners, repeatedly) and litter. As an example, one mile west of my subdivision is the infamous Richards Road area -- there are about eight (8) registered sex offenders in that immediate neighborhood, and it's the scene of numerous "shots fired" reports, assaults, domestic calls and burglaries. Nashville is definitely PATCHY. The Police website gives updated report-filing information, based on zip code, patrol number and city council district.

Chicago is "patchy", as well, but in more clearly-defined geographic (i.e., racial) boundary-kinda ways. You knew what types of behaviors to expect based upon which neighborhood you were in. There's less segregation down here. I'm simply in search of a middle-class neighborhood where neighbors are mature and respect one another.

One resource that I failed to check prior to buying here was the public schools test score information. Antioch High School has (or recently had) the second-lowest math and reading test scores of all high schools in the Metro system. Even though I'm single and have no kids, my knowing those numbers alone would've caused me to run screamin' from this area. It doesn't take a scientist to figure out that kids who don't give a flip are being raised by parents who don't give a flip -- and that definitely causes all sorts of "quality of life" issues within neighborhoods.
Hi CowboyTim,

Just wanted to say that your post has been really informativeas I did not know that Nashville only had 1,500 police officers. I live in Chicago but would like to relocate to the South within the next year. Nashville is one of the cities that I am considering. However, as a single female, the amount of crime there is a concern.It seems that the safer communities are the ones where a person has to be at least upper middle class in order to buy or rent there.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:41 PM

211 posts, read 40,194 times
Truthfully the crime is all centered in the areas with a certain ethnic group dominant. Primarily on Dickerson Pike.

It's kind of sad but that's how it is all over.

Anyway, there's a rising problem with Black and illegal alien gangs, the Tennessean did a large spread on it not too long ago. It's quite sad the size and scope of these illegal alien gangs, the that nobody can do anything about it.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:31 PM

7 posts, read 66,394 times
I'd recommend using the Metro Police website to look at the crime reporting numbers. Visit police.nashville.org.

You'll see that things are particularly busy in east, north and south/southeast Nashville. Of course, these are the most affordable areas as well. I'd advise looking in the Hermitage and Old Hickory areas for something affordable without all the crime-crap. If I'd been wise to the facts when I bought here in '03, I would've headed for those areas.

I've had numerous conversations with Sgt. Chris West, the community affairs coordinator of MNPD South Precinct, as well as 2 personal friends who are Lebanon and Vanderbilt Police Officers. A Mexican branch of an El Salvadoran gang called "MS-13" is growing in Nashville, especially on the southeast side of town (i.e., Nolensville and Murfreesboro Roads, and Antioch). Mexican gang graffiti has been appearing in my subdivision lately (I'm at Una-Antioch Pike just west of Murfreesboro Road).

"The Six" and the "Five Deuces" are spinoff gangs aligned with the infamous Crips from Los Angeles -- they now number about 300 in Nashville and are active mostly on the north and east sides, from my understanding.

Our Police are trying, with renewed efforts at undercover interdiction -- this has been deployed mostly around the Hickory Hollow Mall, Dickerson Road, Gallatin Road and Murfreesboro Road areas. As I stated in my earlier post, though, we've got a 420-to-1 citizen-to-officer ratio, which isn't good. Metro Nashville also occupies over 500 square miles and has lots of undeveloped, forested land (unlike Chicago, my home city).

Incidentally, Chicago is almost exactly 1/2 the land area of Nashville, while being home to 2.2 million. (This means 8 times the density of Nashville -- citizens per square mile.) There are far fewer places for bad guys to hide there, and Chicago has an enormous Police force and much more involved citizenry. Chicago instituted a program known as "CAPS" (Chicago Alternative Policing Strategy) about 20 years ago, encouraging folks to be the "eyes and ears" of the Police, and taking ALL calls seriously -- even if it's just a loud noise complaint. Sadly, lots of people down here will not lift a finger to report things... it amazes and befuddles me.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:55 PM

211 posts, read 40,194 times
Moderator cut: rude The increase in gangs, poverty, crime, non-assimilation, etc are going to just become more and more, and reep bigger benefits, with the coming Hispanic majority of the United States that has grown from from something like 4% to 16% in 20 years.

I for one welcome a Third World Hispanic America and a Muslim Europe. Even though Arabia, Africa, and Asia do not import outsiders only White countries do because it's a benefit to irritaticate our culture, not theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville