Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:31 PM

672 posts, read 810,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
My kids are being raised as progressives in WC and I know plenty of other similar families... we flock together ;-)
Quote:
how do you raise progressive kids in Franklin
Hmm, "Progressive Kids" VS "Conservative Kids". Some of you are just nuts.

I tried and still do try to instill good values. To raise "Good Children" to be great people.

I have never let my own politics dictate the discussions with my children. Particularly in High School when debates about topics came up. I would give my opinion, discuss what is being taught and asked what my teen opinions were. I raised them to think for themselves and come to their own conclusions.

Explained my values, presented the other side and encouraged them to ask questions, challenge their teachers with their own questions and opinions.

To discuss raising children and to frame it in a political terms, no-matter your ideology is just messed-up.

As a result I have a mixed bag. A very liberal daughter that disagrees with me on some points and not on others. A very modest daughter that is more conservative on some issues then I. Some issues that she agrees with me on and not on others. Two other daughters that are somewhere in the middle. One is more of a Libertarian. A son and daughter who aren't adults yet.

They are all good kids and young adults. Compassionate with good heads on their shoulders. They are different people who also have different political views, which is a small part of who they are as PEOPLE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
Hmm, "Progressive Kids" VS "Conservative Kids". Some of you are just nuts.

I tried and still do try to instill good values. To raise "Good Children" to be great people.

I have never let my own politics dictate the discussions with my children. Particularly in High School when debates about topics came up. I would give my opinion, discuss what is being taught and asked what my teen opinions were. I raised them to think for themselves and come to their own conclusions.

Explained my values, presented the other side and encouraged them to ask questions, challenge their teachers with their own questions and opinions.

To discuss raising children and to frame it in a political terms, no-matter your ideology is just messed-up.

As a result I have a mixed bag. A very liberal daughter that disagrees with me on some points and not on others. A very modest daughter that is more conservative on some issues then I. Some issues that she agrees with me on and not on others. Two other daughters that are somewhere in the middle. One is more of a Libertarian. A son and daughter who aren't adults yet.

They are all good kids and young adults. Compassionate with good heads on their shoulders. They are different people who also have different political views, which is a small part of who they are as PEOPLE.
Great post and I totally agree. We are raising our children the same way- to be smart, compassionate people who can think for themselves. And to see other people as individuals, not labels.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:37 PM

16 posts, read 54,896 times
Thank you. This all very good food for thought and advice. I appreciate the honesty of your answers and I will weigh it all as we strive to make a very tough decision. I'm confident that the answer with present itself soon enough.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:49 PM

1,683 posts, read 811,803 times
Going by what you "hear around town" - you might want to avoid the more "rural" school zones in Williamson such as Fairview, Page, and Indy.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:35 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
Going by what you "hear around town" - you might want to avoid the more "rural" school zones in Williamson such as Fairview, Page, and Indy.
I disagree with this. I'm zoned for Indy and no plenty of more liberal types that send their kids to Page. Fairview is sort of its on Island and only know a handful of people who live there (they are all great people-but don't know their personal politics)

Old 01-11-2015, 12:38 PM

29 posts, read 56,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlg620 View Post
...My husband and I, along with our 2 young daughters (6 & 2), are considering relocating to Franklin from Brooklyn, NY to gain a better quality, more convenient, and more affordable lifestyle for our young family...
escaping an environment created by the progressive liberal attitude, trying to now find one that still has conservative morals and values; but not willing to accept that your viewpoint is the very root of the reason for you needing to relocate! There just has to be something just wrong with that!

Old 01-15-2015, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,800 times
I'm a liberal, life-long Nashville resident. Married to the same. My husband and I are looking for a new house now, and we would probably move to Egypt before moving to Williamson County. We'd much prefer to stay in the progressive, diverse Davidson County.

I can understand the draw of having grandparents close by. But in terms of neighborhoods, people, culture, values, friends, art, music ... Davidson County wins hands down. Our kids attend a private school, but many (most?) of our friends and neighbors are in public.

My 2 cents.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:25 PM

32 posts, read 20,846 times
Hi guys I'm moving to Williamson county with its low crime and good schools. I say I'm progressive so I want my kids to see people of other skin colors (not necessarily different cultures) but I don't want to deal with the higher crime rates, poorer schools and more social and neighborhood issues involved.

Help me teach my kids 'diversity' by telling me where I can find upper class wealthy children with different skin color.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billparker56 View Post
Hi guys I'm moving to Williamson county with its low crime and good schools. I say I'm progressive so I want my kids to see people of other skin colors (not necessarily different cultures) but I don't want to deal with the higher crime rates, poorer schools and more social and neighborhood issues involved.

Help me teach my kids 'diversity' by telling me where I can find upper class wealthy children with different skin color.
East side of Brentwood. 20+ nationalities at Kenrose Elementary.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:25 PM

20 posts, read 30,286 times
Consider looking at Granbery Elementary in Davidson County - it is a great school and is very diverse. It is located in south Nashville, almost at the Brentwood border. Also, if you are thinking about moving to the more 'liberal/progressive' parts of town, consider checking out charter schools. There are a number of charter schools that are helping students achieve even higher than in Williamson County. After living in NY, I'm sure you are familiar with them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville