U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 02:46 PM

17 posts, read 28,051 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I've been searching through here and have found so much helpful information. I was hoping maybe you all could give me a little guidance with our upcoming Nashville move and if the areas I'm researching are logical for us. I really appreciate the help! I'm a bit lost! Lol!

Quick background: Moving from Mobile, Al (we have only been there 3 years, and I'm not exactly a big fan of Mobile). I'm originally from San Diego, husband is from Baton Rouge. We lived in New Orleans for a few years (loved it). My husband was offered a promotion that has him working in Nashville, zip code, to be exact, is 37204 (where is this by the way? Berry Hill?). We have a 7 month old baby girl, so we are looking for a quiet, generally safe area, but still like being near a major city with lots of culture and things to do (such as Nashville!). Trying to stay around $200,000 to buy. We may end up renting (preferably a house) hopefully under $1400.

I have narrowed it down to Spring Hill and Mt Juliet with that price range and it seemed the most reasonable commute to his work though I'm sure we will encounter traffic. Spring Hill and Mt Juliet seem nice, though lacking in the "things to do" category for us. I have a feeling it may feel a bit like Mobile, actually, but we figure we are close enough to enjoy other areas in and around Nashville as well.

Have I overlooked other options? Am I searching in the right direction? We plan on visiting in a few weeks and are expected to move within the next 2 months. Thanks for any insight and guidance you may have for us!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 06:19 PM

456 posts, read 464,941 times
First of all, welcome to Nashville! I'm sure you'll find lots of things to do in both the city and the suburbs.

-I'm a little concerned that your budget is 200k and you are only looking in Spring Hill or Mt. Juliet. If your budget is 200K, you might want to look at Smyrna, Murfreesboro, Goodlettsville or Bellevue. I would personally recommend Smyrna or Goodlettsville (Sumner side), but all above mentioned areas are nice places.

-200K and below in Mt. Juliet would get you a modular homes, townhome or a small/older house in an older area of town (Realtracs confirms this). My guess is that Spring Hill would be the same. Perhaps 250k-400k would be more appropriate for both areas.

-I'm not sure where you are commuting to, but Mt. Juliet would be much closer to Nashville than Spring Hill.

-If you are looking for something like New Orleans...I assure you, Mt. Juliet or Spring Hill will look like a very conservative Mayberry.

Best of luck in your house hunting!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,509,626 times
37204 includes the 100 Oaks area that has been transformed by Vanderbilt. Need an address to be more specific as a small/ large buisiness area to work.

Very near I-440, I-65, & Thompson Lane/Briley Parkway.

You have most of the city to choose from with Bellevie to the west. Spring Hill may be a little far south but you could avoid the Franklin/Brentwood area.

With a young child, you could check out one of the apartments in Bellevue until you find something more permanent. A lot of my neighbors fit this description. You can get a nice 2-3 bed unit.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:43 PM

114 posts, read 111,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spricey11 View Post
Hello everyone! I've been searching through here and have found so much helpful information. I was hoping maybe you all could give me a little guidance with our upcoming Nashville move and if the areas I'm researching are logical for us. I really appreciate the help! I'm a bit lost! Lol!

Quick background: Moving from Mobile, Al (we have only been there 3 years, and I'm not exactly a big fan of Mobile). I'm originally from San Diego, husband is from Baton Rouge. We lived in New Orleans for a few years (loved it). My husband was offered a promotion that has him working in Nashville, zip code, to be exact, is 37204 (where is this by the way? Berry Hill?). We have a 7 month old baby girl, so we are looking for a quiet, generally safe area, but still like being near a major city with lots of culture and things to do (such as Nashville!). Trying to stay around $200,000 to buy. We may end up renting (preferably a house) hopefully under $1400.

I have narrowed it down to Spring Hill and Mt Juliet with that price range and it seemed the most reasonable commute to his work though I'm sure we will encounter traffic. Spring Hill and Mt Juliet seem nice, though lacking in the "things to do" category for us. I have a feeling it may feel a bit like Mobile, actually, but we figure we are close enough to enjoy other areas in and around Nashville as well.

Have I overlooked other options? Am I searching in the right direction? We plan on visiting in a few weeks and are expected to move within the next 2 months. Thanks for any insight and guidance you may have for us!
Have you considered Woodbine, Radnor, or Glencliff? These are communities to the north and south of Thompson Lane, bordered by Nolensville Rd. (basically the first "neighborhoods" out of Berry Hill in that direction) The area is rapidly growing and you are literally minutes from downtown, while still in a suburban setting. I could see you possibly liking the vibe over there. Competitive market, though.

ETA: The zipcodes would be 37210 and 37211 over there.

Last edited by Siamese Kitty; 03-05-2015 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 03-05-2015, 11:14 PM

"Conservative Mayberry" Lol!! Love the description. That was definitely a thought that crossed my mind, but figured I could think of it as an interesting social experiment? The husband actually would be totally okay with that, me... in theory, I could adjust.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I had a feeling you all could steer us in the right direction. We may be adjusting our budget as well, just being a bit cautious as we also own our home in Mobile and Nashville is new to us. I'll check out these other neighborhoods which may be a better fit! You guys are great! Off to do some midnight research!

Old 03-07-2015, 04:21 PM

2,887 posts, read 5,940,492 times
Check out the Melrose area as well.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:15 PM

Hi all! It's me again. Thanks for all the suggestions! We are actually in Nashville right now. Today we looked at houses in Smyrna and Murfreesboro. We like the feel of Murfreesboro- saw a few homes in Savannah Ridge neighborhood (is anyone familiar with this neighborhood?). Our budget is now 250k which opens up some more options. Do you all have any suggestions that are like this neighborhood? It doesn't have to be Murfreesboro, though we did like that Murfreesboro felt a little more like a city, rather than quiet country. Brick exterior, new-ish construction within last 10 years or so, we like trees, maybe sidewalks (though not a necessity), fenced in backyards (though I suppose we could always put up a fence), easy access to interstate.

Thanks for your time and help!

Old 03-22-2015, 06:30 AM

3,674 posts, read 6,073,840 times
I have heard that the Murfreesboro - Nashville commute on 24 is horrible. Have you looked at Spring Hill or some of the other closer to Nashville suggestions in this thread?

Old 03-22-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I have heard that the Murfreesboro - Nashville commute on 24 is horrible. Have you looked at Spring Hill or some of the other closer to Nashville suggestions in this thread?
I thought Spring Hill was farther than Murfreesboro? I may be getting my maps mixed up lol! We are heading to Goodlettsville today and Mt Juliet. It seemed closer to Nashville the houses were older but I'll look again! Thanks for your help!

Old 03-22-2015, 06:48 AM

50,000 posts, read 48,225,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spricey11 View Post
I thought Spring Hill was farther than Murfreesboro? I may be getting my maps mixed up lol! We are heading to Goodlettsville today and Mt Juliet. It seemed closer to Nashville the houses were older but I'll look again! Thanks for your help!
In terms of straight distance, both are equally far from Nashville ... Around 35 miles. Spring Hill is south via I-65, Murfreesboro is southeast on I-24.

They both have difficult commutes, with the I-24 commute generally acknowledged to be the worst in the area. But plenty of people do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or