Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 05:08 PM

161 posts, read 520,864 times

Advertisements

Perhaps this question has been asked to death, and you can certainly point me in the direction of another thread if that's easier and less annoying!

I'm taking a trip to Nashville later this month with a couple of friends, and we'll be staying in East Nashville. We have a rough idea of which touristy places to check out, but would also like to spend some time exploring the East Nashville scene. We're not interested in "new" country, but very keen on both alt-country/Americana and more traditional country and bluegrass. I'm also pretty into indie rock. Can any of you recommend venues or local performers we might want to keep an eye out for? Please do suggest venues down-town as well! We'd like to check out some interesting performers, but not necessarilly (or at least not strictly) tourist places/cover bands. Any suggestions?

Also looking for good barbecue and good coffee!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 05:18 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
One of my favorite places in Nashville: Full Moon Saloon

Old 03-08-2015, 08:10 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Good starting point: Nashville Concert Calendar

BBQ _ Edley's on Main in EN. I also like Peg Leg Porker between SoBro and the Gulch. Martin's is also good (on Belmont Blvd.)

Coffee _ multiple places! ZolliKoffee inside Jakalope Brewery on 8th. Crema (a big pretentious for me). Barista Parlour in EN and also in the Gulch. Garage Coffee in Marathon Village. Frothy Monkey - 12 South and downtown. Red Bicycle in Germantown. Bongo Java in EN and also in the Omni Hotel.

That should get you started.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:13 AM

69 posts, read 87,193 times
What is the date of your visit?

Check the Nashville Scene website.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:47 AM

161 posts, read 520,864 times
We'll be there March 15 - 21.

Thanks for all the suggestions and please do keep 'em coming!

Relieved to see Nashville has no shortage of good coffee!

Old 03-09-2015, 02:06 PM

69 posts, read 87,193 times
Things you won't find a shortage of in Nashville:

Trends
Goodwill buys
Coffee
Car lots
Unaffordable housing (for everyone)
Lots and lots and lots of transients relocating because it's cool even though they really have no idea...
The myth of "Music City"

However, I digress.

East Nashville has become kind of a world to its own self, huh? It's really not any different than the rest of the city except it's on the other side of the river.

Look at an area called 5 Points. They've got bars, coffee shops (the other Bonjo Java or whatever it's called), stores, etc.

Also off of Eastland they have coffee shops (Portland Brew, I think) along with shops and things.

Quite frankly, these 2 little areas pretty much hold in them everything that makes East Nashville whatever it is. Wait! I forget the area where Mitchell's Deli is; but all that's over there are bars and restaurants. The rest is like every other booming neighborhood in America. You know, houses, apartments, cars, people, a Piggly Wiggly. Good times.

Venues: The 5 Spot, FooBar, The East Room, Turn 1, any number of know or unknown house venues such as Tower 2. Eastside Music Supply is about the only music retailer over there. The Groove and Fond Object have records and such.

Unfortunately (not my thing), we have an over abundance of the sort of Americana music you've mentioned. Seems like every third band in this city is that stuff. Wouldn't be able to tell you who to check out but if you can find just 1 of those bands, you'll easily find the rest. Likely the absolute best of those bands is Tumbleweed Company.

Your indie bands here are so indie and so cool that they don't bother to tell anyone about themselves. I know because I've played with them and booked their gigs WHEN they do actually do it. Indie is such a nebulous and broad term that it would be hard to give you suggestions.

Downtown... just look at the Ryman and walk down Broadway. You'll get everything you need there.

Other people have covered other parts of the city but you might check these venues: The Basement, Exit/In, Mercy Lounge/Hi Watt/Cannery Ballroom.... Local psyche band Droneroom is having a tape release at Betty's on the west side on the 15th.

And as N. Cal already mentioned, not only are just one or two of these places a little pretentious... they all are. It's a new trend growing among the youth here along with entitlement. You see it a lot among the artists and musicians here. Makes me sad.

Hope you have a good visit. Nashville is a nice place and it's really booming. The people are of a mixed variety in terms of really cool vs. total jerk. The bigger we get the more jerks we get, but it makes sense. Always usually something going on here somewhere most nights. Couple of parks in and around town. LOTS of bars so if you like to drink and wander around, you'll be peachy-keen here.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:29 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.rn.chandler View Post
Things you won't find a shortage of in Nashville:

Trends
Goodwill buys
Coffee
Car lots
Unaffordable housing (for everyone)
Lots and lots and lots of transients relocating because it's cool even though they really have no idea...
The myth of "Music City"

However, I digress.

East Nashville has become kind of a world to its own self, huh? It's really not any different than the rest of the city except it's on the other side of the river.

Look at an area called 5 Points. They've got bars, coffee shops (the other Bonjo Java or whatever it's called), stores, etc.

Also off of Eastland they have coffee shops (Portland Brew, I think) along with shops and things.

Quite frankly, these 2 little areas pretty much hold in them everything that makes East Nashville whatever it is. Wait! I forget the area where Mitchell's Deli is; but all that's over there are bars and restaurants. The rest is like every other booming neighborhood in America. You know, houses, apartments, cars, people, a Piggly Wiggly. Good times.

Venues: The 5 Spot, FooBar, The East Room, Turn 1, any number of know or unknown house venues such as Tower 2. Eastside Music Supply is about the only music retailer over there. The Groove and Fond Object have records and such.

Unfortunately (not my thing), we have an over abundance of the sort of Americana music you've mentioned. Seems like every third band in this city is that stuff. Wouldn't be able to tell you who to check out but if you can find just 1 of those bands, you'll easily find the rest. Likely the absolute best of those bands is Tumbleweed Company.

Your indie bands here are so indie and so cool that they don't bother to tell anyone about themselves. I know because I've played with them and booked their gigs WHEN they do actually do it. Indie is such a nebulous and broad term that it would be hard to give you suggestions.

Downtown... just look at the Ryman and walk down Broadway. You'll get everything you need there.

Other people have covered other parts of the city but you might check these venues: The Basement, Exit/In, Mercy Lounge/Hi Watt/Cannery Ballroom.... Local psyche band Droneroom is having a tape release at Betty's on the west side on the 15th.

And as N. Cal already mentioned, not only are just one or two of these places a little pretentious... they all are. It's a new trend growing among the youth here along with entitlement. You see it a lot among the artists and musicians here. Makes me sad.

Hope you have a good visit. Nashville is a nice place and it's really booming. The people are of a mixed variety in terms of really cool vs. total jerk. The bigger we get the more jerks we get, but it makes sense. Always usually something going on here somewhere most nights. Couple of parks in and around town. LOTS of bars so if you like to drink and wander around, you'll be peachy-keen here.

""East Nashville has become kind of a world to its own self, huh? It's really not any different than the rest of the city except it's on the other side of the river."" Well, we do have our own magazine. Check out: The East Nashvillian

Mitchell's Deli is in Inglewood.

So is the Village Pub along with the Pied Piper diner and Sip Cafe, a coffee shop.

I've been on the East Side more than 15 yrs, wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:56 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:

Sip Cafe, a coffee shop
Where is this?

Old 03-09-2015, 06:18 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Where is this?
Sip used to be in Riverside Village next to Mitchell's in Inglewood.

Sip is now located at Ardee & Gallatin Road in the old Region's Bank building. (Marble on the side is a checkerboard pattern, and used in scenes for one of the last movie that Robin Williams starred in.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: