Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:07 PM

6 posts, read 23,815 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been lurking in this forum for a few days and have finally decided to post.

My family is moving to Nashville in a few months. As a Vanderbilt alum who has (fairly) fond memories of living in the city, I'm excited about returning. We plan to purchase a home there. I'm familiar with Nashville, but I can't rely too much on my past experiences to help us find a place. They call it The VandyBubble for a reason...

Our family isn't too keen on living in a cookie-cutter development, nor do we wish to put down roots in the middle of nowhere. We work from home, so we need to live in a place with a real sense of community. Our hope is that we can find a location that's reasonably priced, within close proximity of things to do (coffee shops, parks, etc.), and safe. It would also be nice to be able to open the front door and go for a run.

With that said, I have a few questions:

-The Nashville realty websites indicate that there are some "up-and-coming" neighborhoods in the area behind Centennial Park and just east of downtown (in particular, there's a new condo complex near Lebanon Pike and Mt. Olivet Cemetery). Can anyone give his/her impressions of these areas?

-What is Berry Hill like? There are some new condos going up there, too, and they look nice. I've heard it's a good area.

-Any areas you would avoid like the plague if you were the parent of a small child?

I apologize in advance for potential redundancy. Also, thanks to those of you who have posted the Nashville crime map - that was very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 01:01 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
I like Berry Hill a lot, I used to live nearby over near Lipscomb which has become a little pricey but still a nice area too. You also might want to check out Crieve Hall, my friend lives there and parts are very nice. There are also sections of East Nashville that would give you what you are looking for. One more place to check out would be Germantown, they have a great community, its a little like a cult but great. None of the mentioned places have good schools but you didn't mention that as a priority.

I would avoid: Antioch, the area behind Centennial Park, most of East Nashville, and I personally would hate living right downtown.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,077 times
Why avoid Antioch? What is wrong with the area? I have lived here off of Haywood Lane for over 3 years and have no complaints yet...

Old 01-12-2008, 08:48 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
Don't you know by now that every single resident in Antioch has either been robbed or assaulted in some way!?!?!

There is no safe area in Antioch; it's just like Compton!

Old 01-12-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I like Berry Hill a lot, I used to live nearby over near Lipscomb which has become a little pricey but still a nice area too. You also might want to check out Crieve Hall, my friend lives there and parts are very nice. There are also sections of East Nashville that would give you what you are looking for. One more place to check out would be Germantown, they have a great community, its a little like a cult but great. None of the mentioned places have good schools but you didn't mention that as a priority.

I would avoid: Antioch, the area behind Centennial Park, most of East Nashville, and I personally would hate living right downtown.
Thanks! That's really helpful. It's good to know that I was on the mark with Berry Hill. I'll definitely look into Germantown.

Schools... It's a priority, but I know what the deal is with Davidson County. My husband helped out in one of the middle schools for a while. Yikes. My son is still very young. If we ended up in Davidson, we'd probably home school him.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Don't you know by now that every single resident in Antioch has either been robbed or assaulted in some way!?!?!

There is no safe area in Antioch; it's just like Compton!
LOL. I sense some disagreement here. :-)

From my own experiences in Nashville, I know that it has its issues. Every city deals with crime. That's just the way it is. But I felt much safer living in Nashville than, say, Phoenix (no offense to anyone from Phoenix).

Old 01-13-2008, 01:41 PM

64 posts, read 246,033 times
hmmm, how do I say this...you don't normally find "up and coming neighborhood" don't oten offer some of the things you are looking for. You did not mention a price, and you know the Vandy area so I assume you ruled that out. My family lives in East Nashville and it offers a great "work from home" experience with great coffe shops, restaurants, culteral events, etc. Our children go to Lockeland Springs Literature (which requires you to lottery in) and have been extremely happy. Beyond that and staying in the core of Nashville for the "feel" you might look at Sylvan Park as well. Welcome to Nashville!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseWhisperer View Post
hmmm, how do I say this...you don't normally find "up and coming neighborhood" don't oten offer some of the things you are looking for. You did not mention a price, and you know the Vandy area so I assume you ruled that out. My family lives in East Nashville and it offers a great "work from home" experience with great coffe shops, restaurants, culteral events, etc. Our children go to Lockeland Springs Literature (which requires you to lottery in) and have been extremely happy. Beyond that and staying in the core of Nashville for the "feel" you might look at Sylvan Park as well. Welcome to Nashville!
Very helpful! Thank you. Yes, the Vandy area is out of our price range, but certain parts of East Nashville fit our budget. From what I've seen - and I realize that pictures aren't always accurate - there are some nice, re-done family homes in East Nashville. It's good to know that there's a strong community atmosphere there, too.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,968 times
Cool moving to Tn from CA

My Husband and I are talking about moving to Tennessee from California. Just wondering about certain things, what would be the best areas to live, we want to live near Nashville, but not in Nashville. I was looking around Old Hickory Lake, I guess it's considered Wilson County. We'd like to have lake front property, cause we have a boat. Is that a good area to live? How is the commute during traffic time to Nashville, cause my husband would have to commute to there for work. How are the schools around there? Do you have any suggestions of a better place to live, that would have lake front property? How is the boating at old Hickory Lake, are the cops really strict in the water? Would we get flooding over there? Do they get a lot of tornadoes over there? I appreciate any feedback, just trying the find best place to live.

Thank you

Jac11

Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 PM

643 posts, read 2,384,818 times
If you have the option I would NOT recommend trying to drive across Nashville during rush hour. If your work is on the east side of downtown, living east of Nashville is a good idea. If you work is on the west side, try to live on the west side. The "downtown loop" can be a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville