U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2009, 02:56 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,886,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
we call them as we see them...you can't dodge the bullet! news flash: i reject, in part, vive's biased reporting, as i do your cheerleading. both cities have terrible and embarrassing problems w/ violent crime. metropolitan statistics include the city of nashville and the county in which nashville sits, davidson county. that is how these figures were compiled: not by using all of the podunk hill towns that dot the landscape 60-80 miles away. urban, darling, urban.

You do not know the definition of "metropolitan" A Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) include the city's home county and all surrounding counties that have strong commuting patters to the central county. Memphis's metropolitan area would include the counties surrounding Shelby and several others. Nashville's would include the counties surrounding Davidson and several others. You can look the counties up on the census website and probably wikipedia.

The Statistics show that the Memphis MSA has MUCH more crime than the Nashville MSA considering it ranks highly and Nashville didn't rank in the top 25.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 12:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,955,464 times
I read today (6/6/09) on MSN regarding the crime rate in Nashville. They listed it as being #9 in the nation (from MSN: based on a list, where they used violent crime statistics from the FBI's latest uniform crime report, issued in 2008. The violent crime category is composed of four offenses: murder and non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault. They evaluated U.S. metropolitan statistical areas--geographic entities defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget for use by federal agencies in collecting, tabulating and publishing federal statistics--with more than 500,000 residents.)

What are your thoughts on this?

Old 06-06-2009, 02:44 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,886,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
I read today (6/6/09) on MSN regarding the crime rate in Nashville. They listed it as being #9 in the nation (from MSN: based on a list, where they used violent crime statistics from the FBI's latest uniform crime report, issued in 2008. The violent crime category is composed of four offenses: murder and non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault. They evaluated U.S. metropolitan statistical areas--geographic entities defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget for use by federal agencies in collecting, tabulating and publishing federal statistics--with more than 500,000 residents.)

Well it would be a drop in ranking from 2007 at least.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:30 PM

137 posts, read 360,465 times
I guess I should buy a gun b4 moving there

Old 06-06-2009, 03:44 PM

405 posts, read 788,040 times
Quote:

Rankings show relative numbers, not absolute. A country with very little crime will have a ninth most dangerous city, and another country with horrifyingly high crime will have a ninth most dangerous city. Those two cities will have very different crime rates.

It's more useful to look at absolute numbers. For example, what is the crime rate per 10,000 residents? What are the odds that an individual will become a crime victim? Are those crimes evenly distributed over the entire MSA? Or are they limited to particular areas?

Those kinds of stats are far more useful in determining safety than a relative ranking.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:34 AM

I have wondered about these reports and their accuracy. For instance, I live in NYC and it is considered safer than many other cities, yet every single day, we hear more news reports of this or that incident where someone is beaten, shot, stabbed, murdered, run down with a car....you get the picture.

What I think happens is what mad fiddler suggested in his post. The ratio of crime to population is skewed and so when comparing the numbers for cities like Nashville and NYC, the figures are going to be higher for the smaller region than for the larger.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:22 AM

1,207 posts, read 999,794 times
Default lend me your ear---eye...for the FBI.

Quote:
I have wondered about these reports and their accuracy. For instance, I live in NYC and it is considered safer than many other cities, yet every single day, we hear more news reports of this or that incident where someone is beaten, shot, stabbed, murdered, run down with a car....you get the picture.

What I think happens is what mad fiddler suggested in his post. The ratio of crime to population is skewed and so when comparing the numbers for cities like Nashville and NYC, the figures are going to be higher for the smaller region than for the larger.

anyone should be suspect of any report that alleges higher crimes in cities that are 1/10th the size of the nation's largest cities. some of the largest cities, including my hometown, chicago, do not even furnish data from which one could draw accurate inferences. etc. much of the reason centers around politics, toursim, image, and one-upsmanship advantages. real science statistical methods should be consistently employed across the board and to all major metropolitan areas, regardless of the negative economic impact on the selected/protected areas of the northeast and west coast. again, these reports are inaccurate, unfair, and essentially, useless as a ture picture of crime and its results. the most credible agency, the FBI, cautions against characterizing a location simply by looking at the correlations and findings of its own bureau, the FBI.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:59 AM

kingchef: you hit it right on the head. Kudos to you and your wisdom!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:39 PM

355 posts, read 1,734,954 times
I've been suspicous of those so-called crime reports myself. I was shocked when I read that nashville,tennessee was ranked in the top ten dangerous cities within the country. I remember reading a report a few weeks ago and being shocked to find noble cities such as charlotte and my own beloved hometown of nashville on the list. However, I am starting to question as a Nashvillian, if I have been truly honest with myself when speaking of crime in nashville and boasting to others how low the crime rate in nashville was.I go home every day thinking that I live in the best city in the country (well, one of the best ). I think we as nashvillians are fixated in this state of mind that our city is the best city in the world, no matter whats going on around us. I can admit that I am guilty of this. I am starting to realize that our beautiful city is actually not as beautiful as some of us think it is, like myself. Some parts of this city are not visually pleasing at all. I know this thread is about crime, but my point is, maybe us nashvillians need to take a trip down to reality every once in a while and think about the place where we live and try to realize that our seemingly perfect world here in Nashville, Tennessee, right in the middle of our beloved "Volunteer State" is not perfect and can be improved by great measures....come on Nashville! It's time for change!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 PM

624 posts, read 2,699,879 times
Just tonight I was reading on a car forum I frequent, that a guy on the board and his friends were held up at gunpoint in the parking lot of Walgreens in Green Hills back in April. They drove into the parking lot and were talking to some friends when a guy got out of his car and asked for a cigarette, was given a cig, then pulled a gun and robbed the guy and his friends. Then said not to cancel the credit cards or he would come to the guys house (address on license) and kill him! I don't recall hearing about this on the news-I'm usually pretty on top of news-especially if it happens in GH because I go there a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville