Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 02:21 PM

770 posts, read 2,747,012 times

Advertisements

My son ( aged 33) is coming to visit (from UK) in a couple of months and we fancy a little road trip to Nashville for some male bonding . He likes music
Can anyone give me some recommendations for
eating
lodging , nice hotel convenient
music ( I've heard of blue bird cafe and bourbon st bar)

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 AM

770 posts, read 2,747,012 times
Really..........Not a single recommendation ... wonder if I should find a differnet destination for the trip??

Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 AM

180 posts, read 697,950 times
Bluebird Cafe--definite yes! I never went whilst living there and I regret it.

You can also catch good live music at Tootsie's on Broadway, also Wildhorse Saloon on 2nd St. Kind of touristy, the latter, but decent food and decent beer selection and the decor is great (dressed up horse statues everywhere!). Sometimes there are cover charges for certain performances.

There is a very good microbrewery/restaurant on 21st St. near Vanderbilt Univ. called Bosco's. I highly recommend, with upscale pub fare and wood-fired pizzas. Also on 21st St. there's the Pancake Pantry, good for breakfast--long lines though and touristy, but a required stop for a Nashville trip. If you can stand to wait until later in the morning and go perhaps on a weekday, you likely won't have to wait. You may also like Blackstone's on West End Ave., another Nashville microbrewery with good food.

The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is a must-see for music lovers. Even if you're not so much into the country genre, the museum is so well-done that it's worth a look.

A unique hotel on the edge of downtown is the Union Station--was once a train depot. Would be convenient and within walking distance to major downtown attractions. If you are interested in exploring the Opryland complex, you can take a bus from downtown (there's a hub somewhere around 6th or 7th streets--I can't remember exactly...), or if you have your own car, just drive. I will warn you that outside the downtown area, Nashville is not particularly a walkable city.

Another hotel I've stayed in and liked was the Holiday Inn on West End Ave., also near Vanderbilt--would have bus service into the downtown area. It's also across the street from Centennial Park, which has the only replica of Greece's Parthenon in the world. Cheap admission and usually has some sort of rotating gallery display to see.

Hope this helps get you started!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:00 PM

274 posts, read 758,624 times
I really, really like the Courtyard downtown because it is walking distance to all the little clubs you would like to go to for nightlife...I think he would really like that..You guys could bar hop and see what placed fit you best..You can also find places to eat in that area as well..I think you will have a great time..just do some more research on Nashville, search this forum, and also get a general idea of where some of the things are you want to do and then you will know better where to look for lodging..Hope this helped some..Feel free to ask more questions...Pam

Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 7,571 times
Default Nashville Visits

There are a lot of great places.
Of course this week is the CMA fest (cmafest.com)
and Bonnaroo!

[mod] link not allowed [/mod]
Jack's BBQ downtown is great!
If he is over 21 Tooties or Legends is a must to see local / historical honkeytonks.

Last edited by mbmouse; 06-08-2009 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,337,190 times
For Hotels, The Hampton Inn Downtown is convenient to all the Clubs downtown.

Hotel - Nashville, Tennessee - TN - Hampton Inn & Suites
This hotel is fairly new.

A good Club downtown, with a few different venues of music is the
Cadillac Ranch Nashville, TN
Also Wildhorse Salon.

Diane G

Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,142,848 times
Ditto on docindigo76...

I've liked the Marriott at Vanderbilt--right across the street from the Parthenon.

Of course, if he likes music, you gotta check out the Grand Ol' Opry out at Opryland.

You might check out the "mother church of country music"--the Ryman. Check their schedule, it's a great place to catch a show.

If y'all like music and dives--go to lower Broadway and you can bar crawl down the street for several blocks hearing live bands in each place. One place to be sure to see is Tootsies--it's more than just a place to hear music--it's where many, many musicians hung out between sets at the Ryman-- a lot of history there. Some ok music places in Printers' Alley as well.

Speaking of history, there's Andrew Jackson's home, The Hermitage. Cheekwood Mansion, shoot, the capitol building. A lot of civil war sites and markers throughout town.

If y'all are artsy, the Frist is a pretty fair art museum...for me, it depends on who/what is exhibiting there.

For a different type of music, there's the Schermerhorn (sp?)...a world class venue.

If you can, get to The Capitol Grille for lunch, or to The Hermitage Hotel for dinner.

Most of the above are online, I believe.

I see your son won't be here for a couple of months--there are some sports attractions depending upon the time of the year. If you like to watch cars drive in a circle fast, there may be a NASCAR race in town; the Sounds may be playing baseball, the Predators may be playing hockey, there's SEC sports at Vanderbilt. Oh, yeah, there's a little team called the Titans that play some American football...

I feel bad for y'all if you couldn't find something to do!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,840,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
Really..........Not a single recommendation ... wonder if I should find a differnet destination for the trip??
New Orleans would be a much better place.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:42 AM

322 posts, read 1,190,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
New Orleans would be a much better place.
Not if you value your life.

New Orleans murder rate on the rise again - Crime & courts- msnbc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville