Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 05:20 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,805 times

Advertisements

Researching a possible move to Nashville, and considering Mt Juliet, Hendersonville, Franklin, and Thompson's Station. Obviously realize Mt Juliet would be closest to airport, but between Thompson's Station and Hendersonville, is either one worse or better for an airport commute? I fly about 3 times per month for work. Seems like I-65 can really be bad, but Hendersonville doesn't look like a short commute either.

Our budget is about $400k and we'd like at least .25 acres and 3000 sq ft. I know that's pretty slim pickings in Franklin.

If you had to fly that often for work, is Mt Juliet the obvious choice? We think it's nice too, but love the history with Franklin and the recreation near Hendersonville.

Thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 05:08 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
I'd say Hendersonville would be an easier drive to the airport, via Briley Parkway.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:31 AM

914 posts, read 1,983,646 times
I agree that, in general, H'ville would be closer by probably 10-15 minutes. However, there are reaches of Hendersonville where that could be close the Thompson Station, especially when you get down near the river across from Old Hickory and Donelson.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Researching a possible move to Nashville, and considering Mt Juliet, Hendersonville, Franklin, and Thompson's Station. Obviously realize Mt Juliet would be closest to airport, but between Thompson's Station and Hendersonville, is either one worse or better for an airport commute? I fly about 3 times per month for work. Seems like I-65 can really be bad, but Hendersonville doesn't look like a short commute either.

Our budget is about $400k and we'd like at least .25 acres and 3000 sq ft. I know that's pretty slim pickings in Franklin.

If you had to fly that often for work, is Mt Juliet the obvious choice? We think it's nice too, but love the history with Franklin and the recreation near Hendersonville.

Thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions!
If you're referring to Hendersonville's location on Old Hickory Lake, don't forget that Mount Juliet is also on Old Hickory Lake; it's directly across the lake from Hendersonville. The southern part of Mount Juliet is near another large lake, J. Percy Priest. So if you're looking for lake recreation, you can get that in Mount Juliet.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-21-2015, 10:38 AM

456 posts, read 586,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
If you're referring to Hendersonville's location on Old Hickory Lake, don't forget that Mount Juliet is also on Old Hickory Lake; it's directly across the lake from Hendersonville. The southern part of Mount Juliet is near another large lake, J. Percy Priest. So if you're looking for lake recreation, you can get that in Mount Juliet.
Yeah, I'm not sure why the lake recreation of Hendersonville would be better than Mt. Juliet. I think Long Hunter State part is only 4 miles away from Providence Mt Juliet as well. Mt. Juliet is much smaller and more agricultural than Hendersonville but is definitely closer to Airport and in many instances downtown.

The Mt. Juliet area has tons on history. Its just more rural based history. Wilson County is much smaller than most of the metro counties. The largest city in the whole county is 26,000.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:54 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why the lake recreation of Hendersonville would be better than Mt. Juliet. I think Long Hunter State part is only 4 miles away from Providence Mt Juliet as well. Mt. Juliet is much smaller and more agricultural than Hendersonville but is definitely closer to Airport and in many instances downtown.

The Mt. Juliet area has tons on history. Its just more rural based history. Wilson County is much smaller than most of the metro counties. The largest city in the whole county is 26,000.
It's about 10 minutes away, give or take where exactly you're coming from.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:16 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
It's about 10 minutes away, give or take where exactly you're coming from.
It is odd to me that when people want a Nashville suburb with lake access they automatically think of Hendersonville. Not that there's anything wrong with Hendersonville. But Mount Juliet also offers plenty of lake access, and on two different lakes. I know of people in Mount Juliet who live on houseboats on Old Hickory Lake, as I'm sure can be found in Hendersonville. Can't get much closer to the lake than that.

The history of Mount Juliet really is interesting. It has been largely agricultural for over a century. It's really been in just the last 10 years or so that Mount Juliet has experienced a population boom. Lebanon has historically been the "city" for Wilson County but that is changing rather quickly. While Lebanon does exhibit many traits of a "city" such as inner city blight, lousy schools, gangs, and poverty, Mount Juliet is growing much faster and is now attracting jobs (1,500 workers at the new Under Armour facility) as well as upper middle class commuters.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-21-2015, 12:38 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
It is odd to me that when people want a Nashville suburb with lake access they automatically think of Hendersonville. Not that there's anything wrong with Hendersonville. But Mount Juliet also offers plenty of lake access, and on two different lakes. I know of people in Mount Juliet who live on houseboats on Old Hickory Lake, as I'm sure can be found in Hendersonville. Can't get much closer to the lake than that.
I was going to say something along those lines. I've noticed that Hendersonville seems to be kind of the go-to choice for lake activity around Nashville, and of course it's there, but there's ample in and around Mt. Juliet as well. I too know someone here living on a houseboat, and after all, the town's slogan is "City Between the Lakes". Probably can't go wrong with either, but the omission of Mt. Juliet from the lake recreation conversations are often shocking.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
I would choose the community you like best and not worry so much about the airport drive, especially if you have any flexibility on what time of day you fly.

It's only 3 times a month.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:34 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would choose the community you like best and not worry so much about the airport drive, especially if you have any flexibility on what time of day you fly.

It's only 3 times a month.
I agree. 3 times a week would be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville