Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 04:59 AM

25 posts, read 40,285 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in the Atlanta northern suburbs. We are trying to pin down an area to relocate to and considering the Nashville area. We are a family of 4, with an 11 and 8 yr old.

Can someone tell me if Nashville is similar to Atlanta in any way, if so, how? What are the differences?

After reading some of the threads in the forum, I am trying to get a better feel for the general mentality of the people in the area. If it's similar to Atlanta, more conservative, how open minded people are? We tend to be more march to the beat of your own drum people. We are looking for more down to earth people that aren't all about image and money, who are accepting and inclusive. How much of a culture shock is it to come from Atlanta to there? If we are walking around with pink or purple in our hair will people freak out?

We love the hiking and nature in the area, and the ability to possibly purchase a home with larger lot than you can get here. Our budget is up to around 300k for a house and we want to be in a family friendly and safe area not too far from parks and trails, but need to be a decent distance from the airport.

What are your favorite things about the area, what are your least favorite things?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 07:16 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenmiz777 View Post
I currently reside in the Atlanta northern suburbs. We are trying to pin down an area to relocate to and considering the Nashville area. We are a family of 4, with an 11 and 8 yr old.

Can someone tell me if Nashville is similar to Atlanta in any way, if so, how? What are the differences?

After reading some of the threads in the forum, I am trying to get a better feel for the general mentality of the people in the area. If it's similar to Atlanta, more conservative, how open minded people are? We tend to be more march to the beat of your own drum people. We are looking for more down to earth people that aren't all about image and money, who are accepting and inclusive. How much of a culture shock is it to come from Atlanta to there? If we are walking around with pink or purple in our hair will people freak out?

We love the hiking and nature in the area, and the ability to possibly purchase a home with larger lot than you can get here. Our budget is up to around 300k for a house and we want to be in a family friendly and safe area not too far from parks and trails, but need to be a decent distance from the airport.

What are your favorite things about the area, what are your least favorite things?

Thanks!!!
One similarity is the concept of saying you are "from Nashville" even if you live 45 minutes away in a suburb that's located in a different county. Some will say the traffic challenges are similar.

Nashville is, at its heart, a creative city. There also are enough tourists here from all over the world that people barely look twice at you unless you are driving too slowly.

You would not be the first "individuals" to live here.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:52 AM

Are the people in the area generally friendly? Franklin looks as though it's becoming pretty crowded? Wondering how crowded there compares to what is considered crowded here....

Any suggestions for family friendly/safe areas, where you can still get a .5-1.5 acre lot but not crazy far from some shopping and the airport?

Old 06-10-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Any suggestions for family friendly/safe areas, where you can still get a .5-1.5 acre lot but not crazy far from some shopping and the airport?
Not in your price range. There would be a rare listing that might be a 1950s ranch or an older home that is pretty far off the beaten path. In April the median sales price in Franklin was $432K. Quarter-acre lots are the most typical there, so more land would be more $$$.

Franklin is getting crowded. The population in this county is expected to double in the next 25 years.

The Crieve Hall area in south Nashville has larger lots, although the homes are smaller ranch-style homes from the '50s. But it is a VERY popular family neighborhood.

Other than that, in your price range, I would look in Goodlettsville, Bellevue or expand into Rutherford County/Murfreesboro.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 AM

Do you happen to know a zip code for Crieve Hall area? Thank you for all this info

Old 06-10-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Do you happen to know a zip code for Crieve Hall area? Thank you for all this info
I would use 37220.

But use realtracs.com to search. It's the local MLS. You can enter neighborhoods there as well as other parameters.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:30 AM

Thanks. Looking at Murfreesboro..wide range of prices. I see some nice homes for low 200k, no or minimal crime, decent schools....is there a catch? Why so cheap? Thanks.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:38 AM

Could be any number of factors. Williamson is overall more upscale than Rutherford, with higher demographic statistics.

Prices could reflect the neighborhood, location, builder quality. The commute to Nashville from there is a bear.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:39 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Thanks. Looking at Murfreesboro..wide range of prices. I see some nice homes for low 200k, no or minimal crime, decent schools....is there a catch? Why so cheap? Thanks.
The "catch" to some people might be that it's quite a haul to Nashville, especially if you have to make the trip quite frequently. The traffic on I-24 is also bad at peak hours. But it's growing fast recently and it may be that the real estate costs haven't caught up yet. Might be wrong though.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:09 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Whenever I watch Househunters on HGTV, I am in AWE of the very reasonable price of housing in the Atlanta area. Maybe the episodes are old but there are houses on that show I would buy in a heartbeat! Very affordable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville