U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-21-2008, 12:19 PM
 
11 posts, read 24,347 times
Reputation: 11
Default New job at MTSU...reasonable to live in Nashville?

Hey all, my family and I (wife, 1 y/o and 2 dogs) are moving from College Station, TX to Middle TN, as I am finishing a PhD and starting a professor job at MTSU. The Boro seems like a nice place to live, but seems to lack a distinct culture or identity. When I say that I am referring to a young, hip, artsy, "cutting edge" culture. Maybe it's there, if so all the better. But for that reason we are looking into living in N-ville (under the assumption those things are alive there). What would be the trade offs? Obviously the commute, but it would seem that leaving N-ville in the morning and coming back in the evening would be opposite traffic flow. We are also looking for a progressive, holistic (not in the new age-y sense) church, of which there seems to be a few in N-ville.

Anyways, what areas should we look into on the M'boro side of Nashville? We want to rent to start with. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2008, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Land of the Ignorant
21 posts, read 58,334 times
Reputation: 23
As for the benefits of living in Murfreesboro as opposed to Nashville, the only one would be that you avoid Davidson County taxes.

I moved here from Long Island NY about 5 years ago. I enjoyed Long Island because you could be in Manhattan in 45 minutes and enjoy all of the benefits of the city without having to live in it. I love the city, but don't like living the rat-race of city life.
I thought that would be a comparable situation in Murfresboro, but it's really not.

One side of the boro is what I call "MTSU land". It is where all the college kids that attend MTSU live and hang out. It has a little more to do, all the clubs, bars and nightlife is on that side. But like all college towns it can be run down in places and most of the crime is on that side of town.

I live on the other side of Murfreesboro, which is considered the "good" side. I am on the Franklin side of rt.96 and there is more shopping and things of that nature on my side of town. There is also a better access to highway24 on my side of town which could make the difference of up to 15 minutes on your morning commute.

It can literally take up to 15 minutes to get across town in the morning. So not positioning yourself on the non-MTSU side of Murfreesboro will help with that.

One of the things you need to know about Murfreesboro is that they have really expanded in the last 5 years. There are brand new shopping outlets here called "The Avenue" and they are trying to make Murfreesboro like the new Franklin. They are really upgrading the shopping, restaurants and the local mall etc. They are also building a convention center that will be competed later this year.

In this respect, Murfreesboro has really become much nicer than it was when I moved here 5 years ago. But with the good comes the bad, and there is also an absolutely ridiculous amount of traffic on the weekends.

Since many of the surrounding towns are like tumbleweedsville (Tullahoma) people will now come to shop in Murfreesboro on the weekends. And that creates such a jam in town traffic that I refuse to even leave my house on Saturday. It is unbearable. That is something you need to consider if you are planning to move here. And it will effect which side of town you live on.

I would say go to Nashville because there is far more to do there in the way of culture, art shows, concerts (if you enjoy country) and sporting events. You be much closer to what little of those items this state has to offer in the heart of Nashville. Unfortunately, you will open yourself up to all of the other things that come with city life. it is more expensive to live there and there is more crime.

Good luck with your move.

Last edited by GroverCleveland; 01-21-2008 at 01:53 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Blackwater Park
1,717 posts, read 4,593,354 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewnobi View Post
Hey all, my family and I (wife, 1 y/o and 2 dogs) are moving from College Station, TX to Middle TN, as I am finishing a PhD and starting a professor job at MTSU.
Just curious, what attracted you to MTSU? I'm just finishing my B.S. there this semester.

Quote:
The Boro seems like a nice place to live, but seems to lack a distinct culture or identity.
Agreed

Quote:
When I say that I am referring to a young, hip, artsy, "cutting edge" culture. Maybe it's there, if so all the better. But for that reason we are looking into living in N-ville (under the assumption those things are alive there).
Yeah, it's just an overgrown college town. I don't think you'll find what you're looking for in the 'Boro. Even the college is really a suitcase college for many.

Quote:
What would be the trade offs?
Well, you'll probably be surrounded by more diversity, nightlife, and all things interesting. On the downside, you can expect to pay at least 20% more for a similar place, but probably much more if you want to live somewhere trendy.

Quote:
Obviously the commute, but it would seem that leaving N-ville in the morning and coming back in the evening would be opposite traffic flow.
Yeah, the traffic will be much better in the direction you are going. It still won't be short by any stretch of the imagination.

Have you visited MTSU before? You'll have a white parking pass, but finding parking and driving onto campus still won't be any fun. Count on at least 25 minutes from when you exit the interstate in M'Boro to when you are inside your building. I'm guessing more though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 06:01 PM
 
11 posts, read 24,347 times
Reputation: 11
If we live in the Boro, we would probably be as close to campus as possible, I would bike or even walk. I don't like the idea of a long commute from N'ville, but at least it would be opposite traffic flow. As for why MTSU, they had a job in my field (Recreation and Leisure Services) and they offered it to me. I am also pretty familiar with the SE (did MS at Clemson, worked summers in E. TN and W. NC). We actually have great friends from SC that may move to N'ville, so it that happens we may seriously look into living close to them, but if not, we will likely give M'boro a try.

I would really like to know more about the breakdown of areas/neighborhood in N'ville. What are the areas that are up and coming? We like funky little houses or townhomes, and places that are walkable are a bonus, but maybe a dream in N'ville, I don't know.

D

Last edited by drewnobi; 01-21-2008 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: unclear
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,869 posts, read 5,832,415 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewnobi View Post
If we live in the Boro, we would probably be as close to campus as possible, I would bike or even walk. I don't like the idea of a long commute from N'ville, but at least it would be opposite traffic flow. As for why MTSU, they had a job in my field (Recreation and Leisure Services) and they offered it to me. I am also pretty familiar with the SE (did MS at Clemson, worked summers in E. TN and W. NC). We actually have great friends from SC that may move to N'ville, so it that happens we may seriously look into living close to them, but if not, we will likely give M'boro a try.

I would really like to know more about the breakdown of areas/neighborhood in N'ville. What are the areas that are up and coming? We like funky little houses or townhomes, and places that are walkable are a bonus, but maybe a dream in N'ville, I don't know.

D
In Murfreesboro you can get more for your money than Nashviile. My husband works in Nashville, so that is where we live. My daughter is a Fashion Merchandising Major at MTSU, so I'm familar with the "Boro'
Nashville has many areas and surounding suburbs. The Closest Suburb to the "boro" would be Franklin, TN which has the type of Trendy town you make be looking for. You can acess Franklin by 96 or by 840.
In Nashville, there is the area that borders Brentwood, there is the Hillsboro Village area which is trendy but not cheap. There is Green Hills, upscale, Crowded, citylike. There is EAst Nashville, where there are areas to avoid. Skip Antiock, because if you don't know the good areas you may end up in a bad area. There is a Townhouse Complex on Nolensville Rd, Nashville called Lenox Village and has a Village attmosphere. They also have single family homes in this complex. It is new so a few Restaurants are in, but more in the planning. This is Accessable to Rt 24 by way of Burkett Road. This is the road I take to MTSU.
Anymore Questions, feel free to ask.

Diane G
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,297 posts, read 15,012,457 times
Reputation: 1580
It kind of sounds like you're looking for someplace like the Hillsboro Village/21st Avenue/Sylvan Park area (which is near Vanderbilt and Belmont Universities), or maybe the Edgehill area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 PM
 
11 posts, read 24,347 times
Reputation: 11
I am guessing that the areas near Vandy are going to have some pretty cool areas, but I am also wondering if we will stick out having a toddler running around with us. We do have a slightly different take on "family friendly" but noisy lofts over a bar are definitely not what we want. For any comparison, some comparable areas across the country that I am thinking are kind of desirable: south austin, The Heights in Houston, most of Boulder, Co, Hampden, baltimore, etc. So are the places y'all mentioned anything like that?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 AM
 
3,628 posts, read 6,371,228 times
Reputation: 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
In Murfreesboro you can get more for your money than Nashviile. My husband works in Nashville, so that is where we live. My daughter is a Fashion Merchandising Major at MTSU, so I'm familar with the "Boro'
Nashville has many areas and surounding suburbs. The Closest Suburb to the "boro" would be Franklin, TN which has the type of Trendy town you make be looking for. You can acess Franklin by 96 or by 840.
In Nashville, there is the area that borders Brentwood, there is the Hillsboro Village area which is trendy but not cheap. There is Green Hills, upscale, Crowded, citylike. There is EAst Nashville, where there are areas to avoid. Skip Antiock, because if you don't know the good areas you may end up in a bad area. There is a Townhouse Complex on Nolensville Rd, Nashville called Lenox Village and has a Village attmosphere. They also have single family homes in this complex. It is new so a few Restaurants are in, but more in the planning. This is Accessable to Rt 24 by way of Burkett Road. This is the road I take to MTSU.
Anymore Questions, feel free to ask.

Diane G
Franklin is trendy?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2008, 09:03 AM
 
Location: East Nashville, TN
142 posts, read 400,206 times
Reputation: 26
That's what I was about to say. Franklin, while very nice, is not the "young, hip, artsy, cutting edge culture" I think drew is looking for.

In that regard, I'd suggest East Nashville, EN is all of those things. People will talk about crime over here but it's no worse than other areas inside the city. There are a number of bars/restaurants/art galleries/music studios in the area. There are quite a few residents in their 30's (me included) with and without young children. Quite a few musicians and artists call East Nashville home. I'd definitely check it out...sounds like what you are looking for.

The commute wouldn't be bad, as like you said you'd be going opposite rush hour. EN is of course on the east side of the city, so it would probably be about 30 mins to the M'boro exit and another 15 or so to the school.

Check out
the short film on this site... (http://www.turnhere.com/city/nashville/all/films/105.aspx - broken link)it will give you a good idea of the culture in East Nashville.

Here are a couple of "quotes" describing EN:

Across the Cumberland River from downtown, East Nashville... is Nashville's version of New York's East Village. ...There are probably more singer songwriters living, recording, and playing in East Nashville than in any other part of town. (Budget Travel Magazine)

Q: What is it that makes people who live on the eastside proud of it?
A: ...it's got all these artists and songwriters and painters and musicians and other funky types... people in East Nashville know that more goes on here than commercial country music. We respect those guys, but we're doing our own thing over here. (Todd Snider)

Good luck in your search and let me know if I can help further.

Last edited by kcnative; 01-22-2008 at 09:12 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,869 posts, read 5,832,415 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Franklin is trendy?
I guess not Trendy, Just Cute. I guess he's looking for a Hipper scene, but with a 1 year old I would look more for safety and good schools for the future.
Franklin has both of those.

Diane G
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top