Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 12:01 PM

59 posts, read 193,309 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently in the market for our first home. I grew up in Nashville and my husband and i have lived here together for the past 4 years. We've been renting a condo in the Vandy/West End/Hillsboro area. We have 2 children and are looking for something much larger. Location is very important to us - my family lives in Belle Meade, I work on Music Row, my stepson lives near the Nippers Corner area and my husband works all over Williamson County. We want to be within about 15 minutes or so from all of that. So far, we've found homes in our price range (under 200k) in Bellevue and one on OHB west of Nolensville Rd that we like. We've also looked in Crieve Hall but my husband isn't that fond of the neighborhood. Antioch and East Nashville are in our price range but we don't like the area either. Are there any neighborhoods that we are missing? 3beds 2 bath minimum with around 2000 sq ft. I feel like i've been scouring the listings on Zillow and Realtracs for the past month but haven't been able to find the "perfect" location in our budget. (I'm pretty aware that I have pretty picky and high-end taste with a low-ball budget) This home will be one that we will live in for at least the next 10 years and I don't want to get stuck in a location that I hate (Bellevue isn't my favorite because of distance).

Any Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 12:38 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,591,995 times
There are pocket areas that would work. Neighborhoods south of the Nippers Corner area like Bradford Hills, Holt Woods, Autumn Oaks, The Woodlands are in your price range. I have a colleague who lives in The Woodlands, and it is very nice.

I also like the area in the Granbery school zone called Brentwood Meadows. Not Brentwood, but some older homes in an established area. A little larger than Crieve Hall. I also like the area of older homes off Edmondson Pike and Cloverland Dr., though those rarely come on the market.

Are you sending your kids to private schools? If so, that will make a big difference given your price range.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:46 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,268,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There are pocket areas that would work. Neighborhoods south of the Nippers Corner area like Bradford Hills, Holt Woods, Autumn Oaks, The Woodlands are in your price range. I have a colleague who lives in The Woodlands, and it is very nice.

I also like the area in the Granbery school zone called Brentwood Meadows. Not Brentwood, but some older homes in an established area. A little larger than Crieve Hall. I also like the area of older homes off Edmondson Pike and Cloverland Dr., though those rarely come on the market.

Are you sending your kids to private schools? If so, that will make a big difference given your price range.
That's a great area of semi-affordable Davidson County. The only drawback is traffic is ridiculous in the mornings and afternoons...plus the home prices have been steadily rising. Get in while you can.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Funny, The woodlands is our #1 pick. . Just hoping our financing comes in soon so we can make an offer before it sells. My stepson goes to Granbery and we really like the school. It'll be 4 years before my youngest goes to school so we're only concerned about the Elementary school we would be zoned for anyway. Granbery would be A-Okay with me. I'll look up the neighborhoods you suggested. Thank you.

Do you have any knowledge regarding the Huntington/McMurray area? There are a few things of interest to us there but we are concerned about who our neighbors would be and the feeling of the neighborhood as a whole. (We looked at Villages of Brentwood and um... didn't like it)

Old 03-11-2011, 12:51 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,591,995 times
We looked at Huntingdon/McMurray 20 years ago, and it was going downhill then. I would not choose that area for a short- or long-term investment.

I would just stalk the Granbery and Crieve Hall zones and be ready to pounce. Tons of people are in your situation, not wanting/not able to pay Wmsn County prices, so there is lots of competition for homes.

I'm sure you already knew this. I just don't think a lot of people understand the urgency of the housing market in desirable areas, or how small homes can have three and four offers on Day 1.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
We looked at Huntingdon/McMurray 20 years ago, and it was going downhill then. I would not choose that area for a short- or long-term investment.

I would just stalk the Granbery and Crieve Hall zones and be ready to pounce. Tons of people are in your situation, not wanting/not able to pay Wmsn County prices, so there is lots of competition for homes.

I'm sure you already knew this. I just don't think a lot of people understand the urgency of the housing market in desirable areas, or how small homes can have three and four offers on Day 1.
Thanks, I'm really digging the Granbery/ Nippers corner area. It will be different not living so close to West End like i have my whole life but i feel like we can make it work. Hubby doesn't like ranch style homes so he hates Crieve Hall. He's also got his heart set on something with lots of extra rooms (dining room we will never use, office, rec room, finished basement etc) so that limits us to newer constructions. I personally love the character of older homes but I see where he's coming from and would love to have the room for our family to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville