Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:40 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This countdown to his job decision tomorrow is certainly adding to that, unfortunatley.
Fwiw, it's not schadenfreude, but I do hope Looney chooses to go to MNPS. I feel like he would be a much better fit than the last couple of superintendents (Pedro was a disaster, Register was so-so). And I don't know how he personally feels, but the school board drama in the last year has to be having a negative effect on his job. It's hard to be effective with these kinds of distractions.

Maybe if he leaves it will wake Williamson County up and make them realize that schools are much more important than petty politics, and to try to not ruin a good thing. As the saying goes, don't mess with success. It's time a few of the school board members learned that valuable lesson.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:41 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
bspray- Sorry, one more thing. Dr. Looney's salary for 2015-2016 was $201,000, not $168,000.

ETA- the Brentwood Home Page article says his current base salary is $191,000, not $201,000 like I read earlier. So maybe it's $191K instead.

But I am very happy to see the mayor work with the school board to bring his salary up to $250,000 plus bonuses. I think he deserves it and deserved more than what he has been paid here in the past. He is an incredible leader. I'm amazed at how responsive he is to parents, teachers, etc. I don't know how he does it.

I'm really hoping he will be here next week.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Fwiw, it's not schadenfreude, but I do hope Looney chooses to go to MNPS. I feel like he would be a much better fit than the last couple of superintendents (Pedro was a disaster, Register was so-so). And I don't know how he personally feels, but the school board drama in the last year has to be having a negative effect on his job. It's hard to be effective with these kinds of distractions.

Maybe if he leaves it will wake Williamson County up and make them realize that schools are much more important than petty politics, and to try to not ruin a good thing. As the saying goes, don't mess with success. It's time a few of the school board members learned that valuable lesson.
If you read the notes from the last school board at MNPS, they were right one track to pick him until one board member completely derailed that process. So I'm hoping that made him feel like it wouldn't necessarily be better there.

I do wonder how MNPS would respond to Looney. He's very hands on. Some of our friends that are teachers didn't like him at first because they felt like he was too controlling and that he cut out some of the fun activities at school. But after some time, they came to really respect him. He definitely walks the walk.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:57 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
If you read the notes from the last school board at MNPS, they were right one track to pick him until one board member completely derailed that process. So I'm hoping that made him feel like it wouldn't necessarily be better there.

I do wonder how MNPS would respond to Looney. He's very hands on. Some of our friends that are teachers didn't like him at first because they felt like he was too controlling and that he cut out some of the fun activities at school. But after some time, they came to really respect him. He definitely walks the walk.
Oh, I'm not suggesting that the MNPS school board is above the fray when it comes to stupid politics...but I think the drama that has played out in Williamson over the last year is on a new level. It doesn't matter where he goes, he would find on most school boards that he has enemies and allies.

And I'm sure that some teachers wouldn't like him if he uses a hands on approach. Teachers, especially those with a lot of experience, tend to be very resistant to change, at least from what I've witnessed (my mom was a librarian in Metro for about 15 years -- I've heard plenty of stories and complaints).

And again, I don't mean this as a "haha! we took your superintendent!" type of thing. I would just love to see Metro get a superintendent that can raise the bar for the system. I think it helps that he's close and already familiar with the area, so there likely wouldn't be the same culture clash as if they brought someone from far away.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:07 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
bspray- Sorry, one more thing. Dr. Looney's salary for 2015-2016 was $201,000, not $168,000.

ETA- the Brentwood Home Page article says his current base salary is $191,000, not $201,000 like I read earlier. So maybe it's $191K instead.

But I am very happy to see the mayor work with the school board to bring his salary up to $250,000 plus bonuses. I think he deserves it and deserved more than what he has been paid here in the past. He is an incredible leader. I'm amazed at how responsive he is to parents, teachers, etc. I don't know how he does it.

I'm really hoping he will be here next week.
His salary is currently $168k. He was getting a raise to $191k starting next year. That amount was raised to $201k because of the Metro situation with a retention bonus of $30k that would become a salary increase in 2016-2017 making his salary $231k. Metro offered him $285k so the Mayor stepped up today and approved a base salary increase to $250k for next year and the $30k retention bonus would still be in place.

So, as a result of the awesome work by our new school board members, his salary (if he stays) will be $250k next year with a $30k bonus.

Between their superintendent antics, the Hillsborrough investigation fiasco and the Barb Sturgeon felony... this new bunch of conservatives have cost taxpayers more than $150k in their first year alone... the kicker is, not a single cent of that fiscal waste went to help the students of Williamson County.

I genuinely think he is going to stay. He has said all along he wants to stay with WCS and that money wasn't an issue. When the Metro offer amount became public, he had a slight hesitation. Who can blame him, as much as anyone says 'money isn't an issue', a $100k raise is hard to turn down. Williamson County closed that gap today and so we're back to a point where the pay isn't a big enough gap to matter.

A lot of people think he is going to leave because of the new school board members. It's not like the Metro school board is a barrel of monkeys themselves. I think and I am extremely hopeful that he will stay.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
His salary is currently $168k. He was getting a raise to $191k starting next year. That amount was raised to $201k because of the Metro situation with a retention bonus of $30k that would become a salary increase in 2016-2017 making his salary $231k. Metro offered him $285k so the Mayor stepped up today and approved a base salary increase to $250k for next year and the $30k retention bonus would still be in place.

So, as a result of the awesome work by our new school board members, his salary (if he stays) will be $250k next year with a $30k bonus.

Between their superintendent antics, the Hillsborrough investigation fiasco and the Barb Sturgeon felony... this new bunch of conservatives have cost taxpayers more than $150k in their first year alone... the kicker is, not a single cent of that fiscal waste went to help the students of Williamson County.

I genuinely think he is going to stay. He has said all along he wants to stay with WCS and that money wasn't an issue. When the Metro offer amount became public, he had a slight hesitation. Who can blame him, as much as anyone says 'money isn't an issue', a $100k raise is hard to turn down. Williamson County closed that gap today and so we're back to a point where the pay isn't a big enough gap to matter.

A lot of people think he is going to leave because of the new school board members. It's not like the Metro school board is a barrel of monkeys themselves. I think and I am extremely hopeful that he will stay.
Thanks for the salary clarification, and I hope your intuition is right.

nashvols- I didn't take your post as a bairing/gloating at all.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:42 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree.

I know Jay personally, and his 9-12 affiliation was very concerning to a lot of people. He also disappointed many when he abstained on his first vote as a school board member, when they voted for chairman.

SINCE THEN, he has found his courage and settled into the role. It's hard to jump into public service, especially at a time when everything is SO public. He seems to have centered himself, though, and thankfully has provided valuable leadership over the past few months.
I agree with this assessment completely. I really hope he runs for board chair in September.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:47 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
Regarding Williamson Strong - I am a member of their Facebook page because they provide timely news updates. I am also a member of Protect WCS and Keep Dr. Looney. I have no other affiliation with any of those groups.

That said, you keep referencing them but then only attributing negative statements to Kim. I see you referenced Jennifer Smith's name as being mentioned on the audio tape as the person that was educating the teachers that were on the recording but I don't know if 'educating' can really be considered 'attacking board members or lying and name calling'... so I would say it is fair to call Kim out but not WS.

I am a conservative that paid a premium to live in Brentwood specifically for the school system. Concerned parents, like me, that are a part of the Williamson Strong Facebook page have been called some pretty nasty things by Curlee, Emerson, J Lee Douglas, Cyndi Miller and Victoria Jackson. I bring this up to show that this is a two way street, NOT to justify the statements made by Wenke.
Williamson Strong has been called cockroaches, solstice worshippers, a cancer, ISIS, thugs, etc and has been attacked by Susan Curlee, Victoria Jackson, Kathy Danner, et al almost from the day they announced they had formed. I think they have accomplished their goal of getting people to pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: