Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 08:03 AM

9 posts, read 16,531 times

Advertisements

We're spending a couple of days mid-week in Nashville in August. Are there some good restaurants with pretty skyline views at night? We wouldn't want to spend more than about $30/entree.

Also, we are deciding between seeing The Hermitage or the Carnton Plantation. Which is best?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 09:31 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Wow . . good question! The only places I know with a view are pretty casual but I'll list them anyway . .

NASHVILLE

Acme Seed and Feed: Nice view of the river from the 2nd floor windows.

Rock Bottom Brewery: Serves a limited menu and drinks from their roof top terrace. Great view of Lower Broadway.

Bongo Java coffee shop in the Omni Hotel: Stunning view of the Music City Center, particularly after dusk. Likewise the other restaurants in the hotel. Bob's Steak & Chop I think has an outdoor bar. There is a Taco place along that same row, and Barlines often opens their glass doors to the terrace.

Hardrock Cafe has a rooftop deck but I'd pick Rock Bottom over Hard Rock.

The Bridge Bar/Cafe has a nice view from the bar. It's part of a pedestrian walkway from the Library Parking (cheapest in town) to the Renaissance Hotel. Limited Menu but kinda fun.

The Bridge | Nashville Hotel Restaurants at the Renaissance Nashville Hotel

FRANKLIN

The Red Pony and Gray's would have nice views of the quaint town of Franklin if you went up to the 2nd floor.

I tried to go to the Hermitage but got there too late. Bigger fancier house, of course. Carnton is a very small house, comparatively, but lots of Civil War history there. If you go to Carnton, don't miss the Cemetery, the big one. Nice little gift shop.

There's also the Belle Meade Plantation:
Belle Meade Plantation

Old 07-26-2015, 10:03 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Acme Seed and Feed: Nice view of the river from the 2nd floor windows.
Even better - go to the rooftop bar at Acme. River and East Nashville on one side and a view of the Bridgestone Tower through the behind the bar window out the other direction.

Rooftop bar in the new Fairfield Inn on Division in the Gulch. You can order food there too.

Sit outside on the patio at Peg Leg Porker at dusk - fabulous view of downtown.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Carnton is nice and has come a long was as an attraction, but IMHO it cannot compete with the Hermitage.

They tell different stories. Carnton was a family home that was overtaken as a field hospital and does have incredible tales of pain and loss, but The Hermitage was the home of a US president and one of the more controversial figures in our history. His bedroom looks like he literally just left it.

They are not close to each other, unfortunately. I like Franklin a lot better, in terms of appearance and restaurants/things to do, than I like the Hermitage part of Nashville where Jackson's home is located, if that influences your decision at all.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:41 PM

367 posts, read 585,186 times
Germantown Cafe has a good view of the skyline.

http://germantowncafe.com/

Old 07-26-2015, 12:53 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,313,831 times
Also, we are deciding between seeing The Hermitage or the Carnton Plantation. Which is best?

Thanks![/quote]

Do the Hermitage if you like presidential history. $20/Adult

Do the Carnton Plantation and Carter house for civil war, Battle of Franklin. Read "The Widow of the South" $15/Adult

Do Belle Meade Plantation if you like race horse history. Go to nearby Cheekwood. $18/Adult

Check all 3 websites if they have special events when you visit.

Last edited by GWoodle; 07-26-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Carnton is nice and has come a long was as an attraction, ...
Ugh ... typo.

I meant to write, "...has come a long WAY ..."

Carry on!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 AM

Thanks so much for replying folks! I am so glad to have some "insider information"!

Old 08-16-2015, 06:18 PM

Thanks again for the help with this question. We had a great trip to Nashville. We chose to go to Carnton. The tour guides were excellent and really painted a picture that made you understand the Civil War story of the Battle of Franklin. We went to the Carter House too, but didn't have time to fit in the Lotz house. The blood-stained floors at Carnton, the bullet-ridden brick walls at the Carter House, and realizing the distance between the two showed what a massive, bloody battle this was.

We went to Acme Feed and Seed. Another perfect suggestion. We walked the bridge there and had a wonderful evening.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:23 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,875 times
That medical instrument display at the Carnton Plantation still makes my queasy. I guess in 100 years people will think our doctors used barbaric tools too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville