Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:09 PM

17 posts, read 14,714 times

Advertisements

Hello to all! I apologize in advance for the incredibly generic thread. However, in order to get answers to my specific questions, I figured a custom thread post would be best. I am 22 years old and my boyfriend is 25. We currently live in south Georgia. The opportunities here are next to none and one thing that is for certain is that we ARE moving out of Georgia, though we are still researching in order to find the right fit for us.

I am a coffee fanatic. I have worked in 4 coffee shops and aspire to open my own shop one day. Not sure if Nashville/TN would be our permanent residence but FOR SURE I would hope to get a job working at a local coffee shop in the area. (Preferably not Starbucks but I will take what I can get starting off.) My boyfriend's passion is cars. That being said, he has worked at an animal clinic for 9 years now and would be okay working at a vet's office until he got his foot in the door at a mechanic shop. Neither of us have been to Nashville but we did take a trip to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge last year and it was incredible. We love outdoorsy activities like hiking and kayaking and ideally we would love to live near a quirky, cozy downtown area for coffee, local restaurants, occasional shopping, etc.

What is most important to us is that we live somewhere we feel safe as well as a place that will give us a realistic chance to both secure jobs doing what makes us happy. Since we aren't sure how much we will be making, we would like to find a small, 1 BR apartment for about $800/850 a month. We don't necessarily need to live in the middle of a downtown area. We are willing to make a drive to visit a bigger city on weekends, though as far as a job is concerned I would rather keep it between 10-25 minutes each way.

We don't know much about the area, so we would like to hear from someone with experience who knows their way around. We are not dead set on Nashville, either. If there are other cities that may suit us better, let us know! Thanks again for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 03:12 PM

456 posts, read 582,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desilyvahn View Post
Hello to all! I apologize in advance for the incredibly generic thread. However, in order to get answers to my specific questions, I figured a custom thread post would be best. I am 22 years old and my boyfriend is 25. We currently live in south Georgia. The opportunities here are next to none and one thing that is for certain is that we ARE moving out of Georgia, though we are still researching in order to find the right fit for us.

I am a coffee fanatic. I have worked in 4 coffee shops and aspire to open my own shop one day. Not sure if Nashville/TN would be our permanent residence but FOR SURE I would hope to get a job working at a local coffee shop in the area. (Preferably not Starbucks but I will take what I can get starting off.) My boyfriend's passion is cars. That being said, he has worked at an animal clinic for 9 years now and would be okay working at a vet's office until he got his foot in the door at a mechanic shop. Neither of us have been to Nashville but we did take a trip to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge last year and it was incredible. We love outdoorsy activities like hiking and kayaking and ideally we would love to live near a quirky, cozy downtown area for coffee, local restaurants, occasional shopping, etc.

What is most important to us is that we live somewhere we feel safe as well as a place that will give us a realistic chance to both secure jobs doing what makes us happy. Since we aren't sure how much we will be making, we would like to find a small, 1 BR apartment for about $800/850 a month. We don't necessarily need to live in the middle of a downtown area. We are willing to make a drive to visit a bigger city on weekends, though as far as a job is concerned I would rather keep it between 10-25 minutes each way.

We don't know much about the area, so we would like to hear from someone with experience who knows their way around. We are not dead set on Nashville, either. If there are other cities that may suit us better, let us know! Thanks again for your input
It really worries me that you have never been to Nashville. Please visit for Nashville area before you go any further. Your price for a 1BR should manageable in many of the suburbs, especially Rutherford or Sumner Co.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:20 PM

There is actually a big car event that is happening in October that we may attend to get a feel for Nashville. I would really love to explore for the weekend and take note of the neighborhoods and areas that feel like a fit for us. I agree that it would be very wise to visit beforehand. Thank you so much for your recommendations!

Old 08-20-2015, 03:51 PM

4,336 posts, read 4,683,445 times
Quote:

1 BR apartment for about $800/850 a month. We don't necessarily need to live
in the middle of a downtown area.
Don't worry - your price point puts you far from downtown. Have you considered Chattanooga?

But yes - visit before you do any more planning.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:04 PM

6,333 posts, read 11,489,882 times
Why are you looking at Nashville instead of Knoxville or Chattanooga?

In my opinion Knoxville has far more of a "quirky, cozy downtown area" though Nashville has some great neighborhood commercial. Thing is, it would be hard to afford the apartments nearby. You could afford an apartment near downtown Knoxville at your prices.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:19 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,709,207 times
Sounds like East Nashville would fill the bill.

But you won't find anything for $ 800 per month.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:22 PM

What is a more realistic number for a basic 1 BR apartment in a decent Nashville suburb?

Old 08-20-2015, 04:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,558,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desilyvahn View Post
What is a more realistic number for a basic 1 BR apartment in a decent Nashville suburb?
Nashville rent is very expensive. The AVERAGE for a one-BR is just over $1K/month:

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...e-rent-trends/

I think the Knoxville suggestion would give you more opportunities.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:12 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,070,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Nashville rent is very expensive. The AVERAGE for a one-BR is just over $1K/month:

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...e-rent-trends/

I think the Knoxville suggestion would give you more opportunities.
For someone coming from South Georgia, yes it's very expensive. In comparison to plenty of other cities, meh.

If the OP is fine with not being right in Nashville then Murfreesboro might be worth looking at. The rent in Nashville right now is still manageable if you know where to look. I lived at Stewarts Ferry Apartments in right off I-40 about 10 miles east of downtown and right past the airport and I liked it a lot. There are three 1 BR floor plans and one 2 BR floor plan (the one I lived in) currently leasing for under $900.

http://www.stewartsferry.com/

As far as visiting first.....eh....you'd probably be well-served doing that but it depends on the person. I moved from Nashville to San Diego by myself when I was 23 years old (I'm 30) and it was the best thing I ever did. The only time I'd ever been there prior to that was for a few days with a friend when I was 20. It really had nothing to do with my move. A lot of research can make you know what to expect before getting somewhere. Nashville isn't a giant monster of a city that will leave you lost and confused as long as you're prepared like any responsible person would be. This probably isn't my business but I'd be more worried about your relationship staying strong and not wavering if you're relying on moving to a new city and sharing finances with someone you aren't married to than I would be just simply coming here.

Last edited by Drake744; 08-20-2015 at 05:29 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 05:21 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,053,519 times
I second checking out Chattanooga . . and by all means, visit first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville