Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlfamily View Post
No big deal. However, if my Dad found out than I was really in trouble!
Personally, I always felt that whatever a teacher did to me to discipline me was going to a lot easier than what would happen to me if the teacher called my parents to complain about my behavior.

Of course, my parents were not looking to be my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:08 AM

730 posts, read 1,917,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I always felt that whatever a teacher did to me to discipline me was going to a lot easier than what would happen to me if the teacher called my parents to complain about my behavior.

Of course, my parents were not looking to be my friends.
Wise parents.

Bet they knew the difference between "abuse" and "paddling" too.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
dont know the specific schools but its a dying tradition. the mean streets and glutted prisons are constant reminders that time out does not work.
the worst villain, that is not a criminal that is my 15 year old baby.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:26 AM

25 posts, read 53,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I just heard that Nannie Berry Elementary in Hendersonville has started waterboarding problem children, beginning in kindergarten. Finally, a step in the right direction. That'll teach those little brats what will happen when you eat your boogers in public.
LMAO
- I wouldn't let anyone touch my children. My children are not angels by any means, but fairly well behaved and respectful and we have NEVER hit them! I use to teach jr. high in a very poor area in TX ten years ago and they still did corporal punishment. I told the principal that if it meant that kids I sent to the office would get paddled, I would not be sending anyone to the office. I never sent anyone to the office, I talked to the kid and found out what the problem was and talked to the parents. I had detention for some but just a little positive reinforcement for good behavior helped curb the bad.

As far as religion goes - I do not want others teaching my kids about any religion unless ALL religions are covered and that isn't possible.
Tam

Old 01-01-2009, 11:51 AM

290 posts, read 1,053,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Oh, they sure did. I have some first-hand experience . . .
When I was in High School in the late 60's to early 70's in Georgia, the principal would take the offender into the hallway during class to paddle him. He did that, as the noise would resonate up and down the hallway so loudly, those of us in other classes would think twice about misbehaving.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:10 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfam View Post
Our family is considering relocating to TN from WI, and we have two school-age kids.
Let me make sure I'm reading this right: corporal punishment is used in schools in Rutherford Co? Is that also true in Williamson Co schools?

And can someone elaborate on prayer in schools in both counties? Thanks!
No it's not true. You would have to sign the form saying they can paddle your child if you were willing to let them do that. We had the same form in FL. I never allowed them to do it.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:42 PM

851 posts, read 2,458,080 times
That's the problem with the world today. Everyone is sue crazy. There is a difference between Child abuse and discipline. If the school doesn't punish the kids and the parents don't want to be bothered,result no punishment.That's why the kids today are sooo out of control. They know they can do whatever they want and no one can touch them. Here in FL the schools sent home a book with the kids the gives phone numbers to call if their parents or anyone does anything to them. That they don't have to put up with it, they have rights. You can't spank or punish.
But then on the other hand, if the skip school too many times then the parents can go to jail. And then, who would be home to take cake of them?
You try to teach them right from wrong. But some kids stray and are not good kids. In the perfect world they would all be good and wouldn't need punishment or the jails and prisons that are over flowing.
I suppose everyone thinks their way is the best way. I just know that when I was in school or home I had better behave or I could get the paddle at school and at home. So my choice was to behave. If the kids know that the school paddles and they still make the choice to misbehave !?!? Who's fault is that?
We as parents have caused part of the problem of our kids not taking responsiblity for what they have done, because we are always trying to protect them. We can do that, to a point.
We all survived with spankings and made us better because of it.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:11 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
That's the problem with the world today. Everyone is sue crazy. There is a difference between Child abuse and discipline. If the school doesn't punish the kids and the parents don't want to be bothered,result no punishment.That's why the kids today are sooo out of control. They know they can do whatever they want and no one can touch them. Here in FL the schools sent home a book with the kids the gives phone numbers to call if their parents or anyone does anything to them. That they don't have to put up with it, they have rights. You can't spank or punish.
But then on the other hand, if the skip school too many times then the parents can go to jail. And then, who would be home to take cake of them?
You try to teach them right from wrong. But some kids stray and are not good kids. In the perfect world they would all be good and wouldn't need punishment or the jails and prisons that are over flowing.
I suppose everyone thinks their way is the best way. I just know that when I was in school or home I had better behave or I could get the paddle at school and at home. So my choice was to behave. If the kids know that the school paddles and they still make the choice to misbehave !?!? Who's fault is that?
We as parents have caused part of the problem of our kids not taking responsiblity for what they have done, because we are always trying to protect them. We can do that, to a point.
I totally agree with you! Your post is right on! I got hit as a kid. We got it with shoes, wooden spoons or just anything your mother had in her hands at the time. If you were acting up or mouthing off you got it. You knew you deserved it too. We used to joke that our parents shoes had radar and could turn corners to get you! In fact, my cousins and I joke about all this stuff now. We never felt abused. The word "abuse" like many others is so over used and the result is down right scary. These kids get enough real violence on TV and through their video games that a smack from a parent is childs play. Kids today are killing eachother with guns! They sure didn't learn that at home. They are also not afraid to do just about anything anymore. Why? Because the penalties for their actions are not severe. Society is crumbling because we are taking personal responsiblity and accountability out of everything! Seems to me kids were a whole lot nicer and more respectful when parents were allowed to handle things themselves without worry your own kid would call the cops on your because you gave them a good crack for something they did. There is a HUGE difference between abuse and discipline. Most kids know it too, but they are also smart enough to use this crap the schools feed them in order to avoid taking responsibility for their own actions. We are becomming a world totally out of control in just about every way. I'm so glad my daughter is a grown adult now. Raising kids in today's world is a challenge for sure.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:04 AM

29 posts, read 125,601 times
Of all the times I was paddled in school as a youngster in Jax Fla I never felt that they were justified. When you get paddled for talking during a test when you are telling the kid across the row from you that you will not let him cheat off of you it gives you a distrust of authority.

I understand the need for discipline in the classroom. Most of the schools here that my kids have been in they use the card system where the kid pulls a card everytime he missbehaves, they escalate in color until the parent gets a note or the kid gets a timeout. so they basically get like 5 chances before they recieve any punishment like going to the office or timeout. the other part of this is that if two kids are involved in an altercation they both go to the office or get suspended. Now i think this works if both kids were misbehaving, but most of the time it's one kid picking on the other then they both get punished. This is ridiculous...imagine that if you were robbed and the ploice put you in the cell with your assailant to teach you both a lesson.

Once in middle school my daughter was attacked in the classroom by a girl that had been in ten fights that year. Even though my daughter did not hit the girl back they were going to suspend her as well. After talking to the principal he saw the flaw in their logic when I illustrated it to him as above and she didn't get suspended. His excuse was that school policy was that anytime two students were involved in an altercation that they suspend both students he said because they couldn't tell who did what as there were no witnesses. I said so the fact that it happened right in front of two teachers and 30 students means no one saw a thing right?

Long story short, the school system is pretty much a failure when it comes to discipline even worse so when it comes to discplining teachers mediocrity.

Your best bet is a healthy amount of discipline and consrtuctive criticism at home backed up by compassionate support for self confidence and lots of extra curicular learning in the home. And by discipline I don't neccessarily mean spanking there are times when that is waranted but lots of times it could just be a stern talking to or what works wonders for my boys is making them do pushups just like my drills did to get through to me in basic. In fact I wouldn't have a problem with the school making my kids run laps after school for missbehaving during the day, lucky for them they are not discipline problems for their teachers.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:00 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insearch2008 View Post
I don't understand you people. It is not ok to hit children. This is abuse period. Of course children need discipline. This does not mean the should be physically abused!! These are 2 VERY different things, how do you not get that?? This is harmful to children. How would you like to get hit everytime you make a mistake? It's crazy! There are so many good positive ways to discipline children. Hitting only teaches that violence is the answer. Educate yourselves!! I think most of you who are ok with abuse were abused as children yourselves. This is so sad. We need to break the cycle of violence and abuse.
And yes hitting is very legal in TN schools and they can do it for pretty much whatever reason. There is a case going on now in East TN where the principal is in some trouble because the child had to go to the hospital after being paddled!! It's insane and this abuse needs to be stopped!
OK, I'll bite here. There is a HUGE difference between a "wake up" spanking and abuse. Spank does NOT=abuse. It is called discipline. Yes, there are some stupid/bad parents out there who do abuse but the majority of parents know this difference. Unfortunately, the children of bad parents go to school with our children, the good parents who know how to discipline properly. But if anyone thinks that children only learn actions and behaviors at home, they are delusional. Kids will act like another student 10 times faster than they will act like their parents. If the school can not respond to bad behavior it will just exacerbate. I can count on one hand how many times I got spanked by my parents growing up. It wasn't the actual spank that hurt near as much as the fact that my parents did it. Tell you what though, it worked! If I screwed up bad enough that my parents resorted to a swat, I never did THAT again and learned from it. My children, same thing. I can recall on one hand how many times I have ever spanked them. But I do somewhat agree, a hand, not a wooden object to get the job done.
My children attended a TN school that has corporal punishment, I was given that form at the beginning of every year, my kids saw it, they knew I had a choice, I gave the permission and my kids knew I did. Because they knew it, it never had to be used. If you give kids permission to act up and get away with it, they will do so, it is part of growing up. "How far can I push to get my own way." The actual thought may not be there, but tell me of a kid who has not at one time or another tried to push the envelope and I will say that is just a really smart,smooth acting kid who has achieved getting away with it. Kids will be kids, they need to know the lines they can not cross and sometimes a spanking will let them know the village is serious. Very rarely do schools go over board with this policy. But I can tell you the parents who made it known that they did not sign that form and who stated things like " No one will spank my child, it is abuse!" very publicly, usually had some of the worst behaved kids in that school. That is not a statistic, that is what I saw with my own eyes by being very involved in that school. If you tie a teachers hands behind their backs when it comes to controlling a class, they can not teach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
I SOOO agree! With some kids a "Time out" just doesn't cut it.
Kids also learn what they live. If they live with getting away with calling a teacher a name or cheating on a test, and receive a "good talking to" or a time out for it, they will have a long sad life ahead of them and society as a whole will have to pay for it.

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-02-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville