U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 PM

366 posts, read 641,910 times

Advertisements

leonard...
We may just have to agree to disagree. There never was an occasion that myself or spouse ever felt the need to punish with spanking. It shouldn't have to be considered a last resort...other kinds of discipline should work without having to resort to being physical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 01:26 AM

731 posts, read 1,148,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
leonard...
We may just have to agree to disagree. There never was an occasion that myself or spouse ever felt the need to punish with spanking. It shouldn't have to be considered a last resort...other kinds of discipline should work without having to resort to being physical.
Hi,

I hope for your family that is always the case.

Unfortunately for many it isn't. Either it is improperly handled leading to genuine abuse or it is missing, when it would be beneficial IF properly administered.

Some children simply are to good to be true. Others are just viewed that way, and aren't.

I sadly have seen the results, both good and bad.

It sounds like as parents you handle problems in a very good and prompt manner. That is way over half the battle.

You sound like the type of neighbors I hope to have, in Tennessee.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:48 AM

86 posts, read 178,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
The juvenile crime rate has continued to drop over the past several years, and is now the lowest since the 1970s.

From the US Department of Justice:
Juvenile Offenders and Victims: 2006 National Report

I teach at a local college, and because of our open admission policy have students from all kinds of backgrounds. A few of our younger students are unpleasant to deal with -- but so are some of the non-traditionals. I find the overwhelming majority of my younger students are great to work with.

In my experience, I don't find much support for "kids today are out of control."
I am talking about elementary and high school, the developmental years. If kids have made it into college then they are definitely not in the category of children I was talking about. As for the Department of Justice statistics we all know the government doesn't have a realistic idea of what this country is really like. A fine example of the government being clueless is our current economy; they just announced in December 2008 that they have finally determined we have been in a recession since 2007. Like we all didn't know that! . I guess we will have to agree to disagree for when I was in school we didn't have a need for police officers in the halls, metal detectors at the door, backpacks searched on a regular basis, kids doing drivebys, uniforms, teachers trying to get the school system to let them carry concealed weapons, kids coming to school with rifles and shooting other kids, kids beating or killing their parents when they didn't get their way, etc.. As we all know not all crimes are reported, especially when it is kid on kid because the victim is scared of further retaliation. The schools don't always report it because they don't want their reputation tarnished which results in less attendance which results in less of the almighty dollars.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree on the spanking idea...even a little swat to get attention. I was spanked as a child with a belt & it left welts. One time I even fell off the bed & hit my head on the dresser. I have a scar to prove it! On top of that, I got my mouth washed out a few times. I don't approve of that either. I wasn't a terrible kid, my parents were just very strict! I didn't learn to respect my parents, I just learned to fear them. That is not what I wanted to happen raising our children, so I never hit our two daughters. In my opinion, one of the main reasons discipline worked without using any physical force is due to the fact that I was present from the time each child was born to the time they moved out of the house as young adults. I think one of the main keys to well behaved children is persistance, starting at a young age. I also had a tendency to explain my reasons for things to our children, so they would never have to question my decisions in their own minds. I tried to cover everything, thinking ahead about what could be challenged as far as rules go. Our kids knew what was expected of them. Of course they made mistakes & challenged authority from time to time, but they got punished mostly by having the things they appreciated the most being taken away from them for a period of time.
I'm proud that I didn't take the easy way out, and I know that discipline is possible without spanking, because the proof is in the adult daughters we raised that are now a positive addition to society
I too was raised by two alcoholic parents who thought nothing about punching us in the mouth to send us flying across the room and other daily horrid things and I wasn't talking about that kind of abuse. Giving a child a swat is not taking the "easy way out" because not every child is a saint, listens well, or responds to "Johnny please don't do that because that is against the rules". Many parents feel that their child is disciplined, when they are actually the terror child in the restaurant that everyone else wishes would leave.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 AM

366 posts, read 641,910 times
LovnTN...
My parents weren't alcoholics, I had parents that pretty much left me to raise my younger siblings while they worked, so they weren't there to give me the ongoing guidance that I or any child really needs. Their way to discipline was to spank, although remembering back it was the step father who did the spanking, my mother who washed my mouth out with soap. There are other successful ways to deal with discipline that work other then spanking, so with other options I don't see why someone, anyone would choose to spank. Being physical with a child only reinforces to them that it's ok to be physical. Raising children to do what is expected of them, listen well, respond to whatever, is a matter of being consistant starting at a young age, then being persistant. Parenting is a responsibility that can't be taken lightly, or given to someone else to do other then the parent(s). I have never understood how someone can bear children, then give them to someone else to raise. Why have them in the first place if that's the plan. If that worked, there would be a lot less children growing up with the issues we're seeing today, more & more. I'm not so sure a parent thinks their child is disciplined if they are the terror child in a restaurant. It could either be they just don't care if the child bothers other people eating since it doesn't bother them, or they didn't discipline their child all along & it's gotten out of control. I'm afraid as time goes on it's all only going to get worse, because so many parents have forgotten what their priority is suppose to be when they bring children into this world.

leonard...
We're done raising our children thank goodness, I wouldn't want to have to do it all over again in today's society. Everything would be more of a challenge, dealing with the other parents & their children. Hopefully once our children have children, I'll be able to help guide them should they ever need or want my advice. Who knows, one day I may end up being your neighbor, if we do move to Tn. One thing you wouldn't have to worry about is having a neighbor with out of control kids (if we still had children living at home)!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 16,620 times
Would N.E. Middle School be North East in Jackson, TN by any chance?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 AM

A good example of a child with major issues.

http://http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090106/ap_on_re_us/young_shooter (http://http//news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090106/ap_on_re_us/young_shooter - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville