Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:45 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Why do the media really care whether or not one oppose homosexual marriage?

It is the media that needs to leave that alone and start writing something newsworthy that readers are interested to read!
It is newsworthy in part because there is legislation being authored to effectively "nullify" the Court's decision and the authors of the legislation are pointing to this poll as a mandate. And, if the legislation passes and becomes state policy, it will most assuredly be brought before the courts and no small amount of tax dollars will be spent on defending it against the US Supreme Court's decision. Which, from what I remember in US History, has never been a winning battle.

I didn't read the detail of the article, but I wonder how this number compares versus several years ago when it was voted as a TN constitutional amendment?

Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I'm in the "don't support it but do not oppose it" camp. If two people want to enter into a contractual relationship agreement it is none of my business.
There are more than enough people in this country (one is too many) that would take this statement and make it sound like you're ignorant for it. They feel like "I don't really care" is the new "I disagree with it but I'm going to make it sound like an unimportant issue". Quite dumb.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:21 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I didn't read the detail of the article, but I wonder how this number compares versus several years ago when it was voted as a TN constitutional amendment?
The Google is your friend.

2006 - 81% voted for the amendment
2014 against gay marriage - 64%
2015 against gay marriage - 57%

The very funny named "Tennessee Marriage Protection Amendment" - The historical institution and legal contract solemnizing the relationship of one man and one woman

I guess the left out the part about the 1M+1W can be done multiple times by either party. Or just spit them babies out without a contract!

Old 11-10-2015, 10:37 AM

8,060 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
I'm sure you have no problem with the "contractual relationship" you propose as it applies to a father and say his 18-year-old daughter. And what a hoot - marriage is no more than a contract, never knew.

Don't you guys get tired of that worn-out phrase "bible-thumper"? I'm not even Christian mainstream, and the triteness seems pathetic. Do you have Koran-thumpers over there? If so have you used the phrase on C-D?
Don't think marriage is a contract? Try to get out of one.

I knew someone that objected would either bring up either Incest or beastiality in objection. Typical.

Let me ask you this; if Muslims suddenly flocked to Tennessee would you accept their desire to impose sharia law on you?

I refer to ALL religious zelots that seek to impose their moral beliefs on others as "Bible thumpers". If the majority of Tennessee were Muslim I would call them "Koran thumpers" in a heart beat.

Last edited by Wartrace; 11-10-2015 at 11:55 AM..

Old 11-10-2015, 12:47 PM

456 posts, read 586,811 times
A little off topic, but what stops polygomy or children (18+) from marrying mother/fathers? I mean if they are consenting adults...I dont see anything stopping this. Perhaps ttthe supreme court should tell us what the differenctween the above and gay marriage is in their eyes.

I think abortion will be partially overturned in the next 20 years. I think people are starting to come around to how bad it truly is.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:06 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
A little off topic, but what stops polygomy or children (18+) from marrying mother/fathers? I mean if they are consenting adults...I dont see anything stopping this. Perhaps ttthe supreme court should tell us what the differenctween the above and gay marriage is in their eyes.

I think abortion will be partially overturned in the next 20 years. I think people are starting to come around to how bad it truly is.
And this has to do with Nashville because???

Won't even comment on how ridiculous your last sentence is.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
The Google is your friend.

2006 - 81% voted for the amendment
2014 against gay marriage - 64%
2015 against gay marriage - 57%

The very funny named "Tennessee Marriage Protection Amendment" - The historical institution and legal contract solemnizing the relationship of one man and one woman

I guess the left out the part about the 1M+1W can be done multiple times by either party. Or just spit them babies out without a contract!
Yeah, but why Google it myself when you can do it for me?

Thanks...that is interesting data and a fairly noteworthy trend.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:22 PM

OK, just a reminder that there are 10,000+ threads in the Political forum here for debates on gay marriage, abortion, etc.

I'm all for keeping this open for the discussion of the polling data and trends in Middle TN but just keep that in mind that this is not the political forum.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:31 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
OK, just a reminder that there are 10,000+ threads in the Political forum here for debates on gay marriage, abortion, etc.

I'm all for keeping this open for the discussion of the polling data and trends in Middle TN but just keep that in mind that this is not the political forum.
Agreed.

Sidenote: that forum scares me.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:20 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Yup. Thread closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville