Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:14 PM

20 posts, read 83,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwmu View Post
I am considering a move to Nashville for a job, but I am honestly not a fan of country music. Do I have any chance of liking it there?
Well, about 20 minutes outside of town you will hit a gate check - almost like a DUI checkpoint. The music city police will ask for you to hand over your Ipod and cd case. They are will then browse through and make sure you have at a minimum 75% country music in your collection. If not, you are only allowed a 'visitors visa' into Nashville. Sorry...

LOLOLOL
I grew up in Goodlettsville and went to school with kids of several stars... and I listened to GnR and Aerosmith mostly. Dont get me wrong, there is PLENTY of country music to be had... but its just another choice, like everywhere else. Its like saying "Should I consider a move to Seattle if I dont like alternative music?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 11:56 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,050 times
Jack White, Ben Folds, Todd Snider and Kings of Leon live here also...

Old 09-09-2012, 01:47 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwmu View Post
I am considering a move to Nashville for a job, but I am honestly not a fan of country music. Do I have any chance of liking it there?
honestly ..it's hard to avoid....it seems to course thru the veins of the citizenry here.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:41 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
honestly ..it's hard to avoid....it seems to course thru the veins of the citizenry here.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,303,339 times
Quote:
How many other cities have a tour bus that takes you by the homes of the stars? A lot of country music people live here. You may meet them at Kroger. Nashville is a good place for the stars to blend in with other folks doing their daily chores.

If you don't like country music, chances are you haven't heard any. Go to the Grand Ole Opry a time or 2 and see if they can change your mind. Through WSM radio & internet these days the world tunes in to Nashville.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:28 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,562 times
I think it all depends on how much you choose to be involved. If you never go to lower Broad and if none of your friends listen to country music...you probably wouldn't notice it a lot. I'm not really a fan of country music. I like some old country music...but only on occasion. The restaurants and bars that I go to don't play it, I don't listen to it in my car. By the way...(I don't have the statistics in front of me), but country radio is not the most popular in Nashville. You won't see locals wearing cowboy hats (some wear cowboy boots, but usually more fashionable ones). There's a WIDE variety of musicians around...not just country, so...I will say that it's hard not to be involved or influenced by music if you live here...but it doesn't have to be country. Where you choose to live and where you choose to play will make the difference on which one you notice. I was at Fresh Market the other day and I almost bumped into Peter Cetera...my friends didn't even notice him. So, a lot depends on your awareness.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:56 AM

940 posts, read 1,901,398 times
Quote:
You're joking of course right? Giving away my age here but the summer I moved there at the age of five was the summer of Elvis breaking. Rock and roll "course(d) through the veins" of the youth of America from then on. Traditional country was music for old people or so I thought. Then, in 3-4 years Nashville started putting out crossover hits by Roy Orbison, Brenda Lee, Patsy Cline, Floyd Cramer, Eddie Arnold (who I met) etc, and people like Johnny Cash became revered by non-country listeners like myself and would lob their hits onto top 40 radio. I have an old Life Magazine copy with a centerfold photo of Johnny's circular living room where he was hosting a (pass around the guitar) session with many famous songwriters from all genre's including David Crosby. This is the sense of historical place Nashville enjoys. "Folsom Prison" is a number that even occasionally gets played at the weekly Houston blues jams.

What may "course through the veins" of long time Nashvillians is a sense of historical place in American music, plus a sense of the business side of music. To say that the music itself "courses through the veins" of the population there, especially in young people, is ridiculous.

BTW a few months ago I was traveling around southeastern Wyoming and country was very much dominating. In Washington State this week I heard country everywhere in the Puget sound area, playing in business establishments. The pro-America message of the genre seems to be a winning formula with people tired of some of the spoiled brats making other kinds of music.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 865 times
born here lived all my life in nashville there is allways something to do in nash no matter what time or day.I do not like country very much.But all music is in nashville Best looking women in the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville