Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 AM

13 posts, read 42,728 times

Advertisements

My thoughts and prayers are focused on all of those in the area that have been impacted by the storms yesterday.
These storms brought some questions into mind as my family and I are considering relocating to the area. We presently do not live in an area typically affected by tornadoes. We are looking into the Williamson county area, and are wondering, since so few homes have basements, where do you go/what do you do when there are damaging storms predicted? I understand that when you live in this area, it is a risk you are aware of and incorporate into your lifestyle. But can anyone give me ideas as to how you do that? Do schools shut down if there is a prediction of a storm like this? Do people sit tight in their homes? Do they go to a shelter every time there is a severe weather forecast? I just want to make sure we are prepared.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:57 AM

142 posts, read 638,099 times
While TN does get its share of tornadoes, they aren't the big town-busters like in "tornado alley" (KS, NE, OK, etc). Usually an interior room, like a bathroom or closet under stairs is sufficient.

I certainly wouldn't let it affect where I moved though.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researchin View Post
My thoughts and prayers are focused on all of those in the area that have been impacted by the storms yesterday.
These storms brought some questions into mind as my family and I are considering relocating to the area. We presently do not live in an area typically affected by tornadoes. We are looking into the Williamson county area, and are wondering, since so few homes have basements, where do you go/what do you do when there are damaging storms predicted? I understand that when you live in this area, it is a risk you are aware of and incorporate into your lifestyle. But can anyone give me ideas as to how you do that? Do schools shut down if there is a prediction of a storm like this? Do people sit tight in their homes? Do they go to a shelter every time there is a severe weather forecast? I just want to make sure we are prepared.
Thank you.
Hi Researchin,

I moved here from Florida, I haven't dealt with tornado warnings much until last night, but coming from a hurricane state, I can tell you the drill is pretty much the same. If you do not have a basement, you would go into a room with no windows to wait it out. Sometimes, that is a bathroom or walk in closet. Since weather technology has changed so much, they pretty much tell you when it is your time to go into your safe room. It was the same in Florida with hurricanes. You follow the weather coverage on TV amd they tell you where the storms are headed pretty much minute by minute. When it is coming towards your area, they will inform you to head to your safe room. It is important to have a battery operated radio or tv with you to keep up on the reports if the power goes out. You will also get notice that the storm has now passed your area and you can come out of your safe room. It can be pretty scary, but you do get used to it. In Florida, my area was hit with 3 hurricanes pretty close together in time and after the first one, you got to where you just jumped into your hurricane mode and did what you had to do to prepare for it. Bad and unpreditable weather seems to be common place these days. You can't run from it, so you learn to deal with it. Weather patterns seem to be changing all over the world. It is unsettling at times.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:08 AM

I greatly appreciate your input. I completely agree about changing weather patterns, that there are good with the bad, etc. I am thankful the area is not in "tornado alley" and I certainly don't see it becoming a deterrent for us to relocate. I am just looking for exactly what you both have offered, suggestions on how you handle these situations when they come up. Thank you very much!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 AM

100 posts, read 352,231 times
We just moved here a few months ago too. I thought we would have until the spring to worry about tornados but we got initiated early. I was very impressed with the news coverage and the tracking. I felt a lot better watching that. In southeast Georgia/Northern Florida where we moved from the coverage was not that intense.

I was talking to my mom this morning and there really is no place to live where you don't have some weather worry or another so you might as well pick the place you like.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:39 AM

I agree! My mother is worried as well, but here there is so much snow and ice, driving can be very dangerous! So it's a give and take, I just want to know how to take it!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:12 AM

88 posts, read 286,859 times
In over 50 years of living in south TX, within Tornado Alley, I only experience a close call from one tornado while traveling in the panhandle as a teen. Living in the Nashville area not quite 3 years now, I've already had my fill of tornadoes. I never before realized the frequency of tornadic storms occurring in middle TN.

My family and I live in a well-built, 105 year old house. Unfortunately, it has no basement and no interior rooms or closets. Witnessing the damage from the April 2006, and seeing the destruction on TV from last night's hit on Castalian Springs, I must say that while these tornadoes were not "town busters", they are very much HOUSE BUSTERS, hence the reported confirmed fatalities. I feel that surviving a direct hit from a tornado such as the one that struck last night or in 2006 - even in a strong house - would rely as much on luck than preparation. We love it here too much to move elsewhere, though.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:44 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
When there's a warning, we go downstairs and stay away from windows. If the siren goes off and the info on the news looks especially ominous, we go under the house. We don't have a basement, but our lot slants so that you can walk under our house about halfway across. We keep a radio and flashlight there.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:53 AM

88 posts, read 286,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
we go under the house.
Maybe a good idea,,,,, maybe not. Me and my family have that option, too.

From my observations, the prevalent method of house construction in this area appears to be to form a house support using unreinforced cinder blocks (concrete masonry units), mortared together, then attach the wooden house framing to the CMU support. While this makes for a solid support compression-wise, I question the integrity of this construction method under a strong shear load - such as a tornado. I guess it would be an OK place to hide from an F1 - F2, however, a stronger tornado may be too much to ensure survivability.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 AM

708 posts, read 688,293 times
I wouldn't let tornadoes from making the move to the beautiful state of Tenessee! Alot of people wouldn't think about it but every state gets tornadoes...they range from 0-5 and as you would know tornado alley gets the worst but there was a tornado in cali a few weeks ago. Personally i think where ever you live always have a weather alert radio and always have a plan. As far as you having a area to go when you get a warning...my grandparents put a safe room in with all the needs we need in it. Its a steel room. Personally I don't think hiding under your houses is the safest idea but under those cirumstances what ever you think is safe and you've done it before go ahead!

These questions are always asked with tornadoes as to how to deal with it? you just incorparte it into your life...don't worry about it when the sever weather comes up you have a plan and a safe place to go to and your ok.

Do schools shut down? you can go to school and there can be prefectly blue skies and an hour later you can have a tornado warning The schools wont send the kids home if theres a waring issued...the schools know what to do and your kids teachers will have a plan.

Do people sit tit in there homes? well it depends some people will be stupid and get in there car! YOU SHOULDN'T! getting in your car in a tornado is very dangerous! you should just sit tit in your home till the storm passes..you should have your weather alert radio incase your power goes out and don't be near windows. Also don't listen to those stupid (i dont know what the weird is) like rumors or what ever saying open your windows it relases the pressure. If the storm is near you....you probaly or wont have time just take your family and get in your bathroom or a narrow hallway and not near windows and sit there. Hold your kids...make sure they don't become scared..my grandma does that with me

Do they go to a shelter everytime a sever forcast is said? If you have...some people do. If it is a watch people will stay in there house and watch the news and when it becomes a warning people will go to the shelter, hallway, what ever is consider there shelter. Sometimes this will happen and it could be scary the power will go out and its only a watch thats when you get out your weather alert radio and my personally opinion i would go to your shelter and just have your weather alert radio..also don't go outside to go look if the tornado has passed or hasn't.

Hopefully this helps you! If you have anymore questions feel free to message me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville