Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:07 PM

5 posts, read 6,441 times

Advertisements

Yes, this is another one of those where should I look posts, but I did a search and was having trouble finding something recent with relevant information. We are moving to TN this summer, I will be keeping my current job and work from home, and I have a 13 year old son. I have friends in Nashville and will have to go there fairly frequently so I do want to live within 30-45 minutes if possible, but I won't be commuting so I don't need to be able to get there quickly or during rush hour. I'm looking for a more rural area, or at least somewhere where I can get a house on a 1/2 acre or more of land for under $250-$300K. We may consider renting when we first arrive for 6 months-1 year.

Schools are not a huge priority, my son has done private, public and online, and depending on what's available in the area, we'd decide which to continue, so bad schools aren't a deal breaker, although good ones would be nice. I'm a single mom in my early 30's if that matters, although I'd imagine most of my socializing would take place in Nashville so I'm not too worried if a neighborhood isn't super exciting. We're a farmer's market, dog rescue, holistic medicine kind of family if that helps with the "vibe" aspect. We love East Nashville and would have moved there, but I can't justify spending that kind of money for a tiny house when we could get so much more just a little further out. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance, love these forums, everyone is always really helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 07:04 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
You might want to look out towards Fairview. It is part of Williamson County Schools which are the best in the state. Easy access to I-40 into Nashville and "affordable" homes on rural lots are available.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:00 AM

320 posts, read 541,047 times
Within the 30-45 minute driving range and your price range, I would suggest Robertson or Cheatham counties.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:26 AM

Thanks, I'll look into those as well. Does anyone have an opinion on Lebanon? I was looking there based on the proximity to Mt. Juliet and I-40 and there are a bunch of houses that fit the bill there. It says its about 45 minutes from East Nashville, but I guess that could be wrong based on traffic? Any strong feelings on it one way or another? Is it too far to be realistic for driving in 2-3 times a week?

Old 01-24-2016, 12:48 PM

456 posts, read 586,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayasMom View Post
Thanks, I'll look into those as well. Does anyone have an opinion on Lebanon? I was looking there based on the proximity to Mt. Juliet and I-40 and there are a bunch of houses that fit the bill there. It says its about 45 minutes from East Nashville, but I guess that could be wrong based on traffic? Any strong feelings on it one way or another? Is it too far to be realistic for driving in 2-3 times a week?
Honestly, I would probably want to live in Gladeville or Rural Hill. This would be much closer to Mt. Juliet/Nashville and would have a much nicer housing stock. In Rural Hill you are 5-10 min from I-40 and about 18 miles (house to downtown parking lot) from LP field. The area is not populated heavily but homes in that price range may be hard to get due to low supply.

A little bit of warning. If you are not comfortable with Christianity this may not be ideal. You WILL get invited to church and for some, Christianity is a way of life. Thats not say people wont be friendly..I just wouldn't announce on top of your rooftop that you are Atheist.

Last edited by titanspreds_04; 01-24-2016 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 03:38 PM

Thanks, there doesn't look to be much available there now, but I'll keep an eye out as I've got time. I'll be there in February and April, so planning on doing some exploring further than I normally venture. I like the idea of east or south as I'll be using the airport a few times a year, so it'd be nice to be close to that as well.

And I'm a Christian, not the kind that invites everyone to church all the time, but enough that I can deal with living in the Bible Belt.

I've been advised against Smyrna and LaVergne even though it looks like they've got some pretty affordable options, does that sound reasonable? I wasn't given very much information on why, but I try to trust friends who are local who say "Just no." Thanks again for all the feedback!

Old 01-24-2016, 04:44 PM

8,066 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayasMom View Post
Thanks, there doesn't look to be much available there now, but I'll keep an eye out as I've got time. I'll be there in February and April, so planning on doing some exploring further than I normally venture. I like the idea of east or south as I'll be using the airport a few times a year, so it'd be nice to be close to that as well.

And I'm a Christian, not the kind that invites everyone to church all the time, but enough that I can deal with living in the Bible Belt.

I've been advised against Smyrna and LaVergne even though it looks like they've got some pretty affordable options, does that sound reasonable? I wasn't given very much information on why, but I try to trust friends who are local who say "Just no." Thanks again for all the feedback!
Yes. Smyrna and Lavergne are not towns I would ever consider living in. In my opinion the two towns are "industrial transient" as in people live there just to be close to their J.O.B. and not because it is a great community. Hate to say it but it is the way I see it.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:35 AM

22 posts, read 32,888 times
You can live on the outskirts of Davidson county in Bellvue, Madison, Hermitage and some parts of Nashville. You don't have to move to a rural area if you only need half an acre or so.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:54 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One23 View Post
You can live on the outskirts of Davidson county in Bellvue, Madison, Hermitage and some parts of Nashville. You don't have to move to a rural area if you only need half an acre or so.
This is kind of what I am thinking too. To me 0.5 or even 1 acre isn't necessarily "rural". So if it's .5-1 acre that you're wanting, that's one issue (and agreed that the outskirts of Davidson County is a good place to look).

But if you're wanting a rural experience versus a more suburban one, that's an entirely different animal. In that case you might look in the Whites Creek, Joelton areas along with Robertson and Cheatham Counties. Maybe White House and Portland in Sumner Co.

All of that hinges on the school system being of little concern.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:43 PM

456 posts, read 586,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
This is kind of what I am thinking too. To me 0.5 or even 1 acre isn't necessarily "rural". So if it's .5-1 acre that you're wanting, that's one issue (and agreed that the outskirts of Davidson County is a good place to look).

But if you're wanting a rural experience versus a more suburban one, that's an entirely different animal. In that case you might look in the Whites Creek, Joelton areas along with Robertson and Cheatham Counties. Maybe White House and Portland in Sumner Co.

All of that hinges on the school system being of little concern.
Note: Portland,TN is a good hour outside of Nashville and might as well be in Kentucky.

Whites Creek & Joelton, not the greatest.

White House is a good suggestion though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville