Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 07:45 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,953,074 times

Advertisements

How would you describe Gallatin to someone about to move there from across the country?
The people, shopping etc.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 09:08 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,445,563 times
That's kinda hard to do not knowing where the person is coming from. I'd first try to find similarities to a nearby area that the person was familiar with.

Otherwise, here goes...

It's the county seat of Sumner County, about 45 minutes northeast of Nashville. I wouldn't call it a suburb as it has its own identity, government, police/fire, etc. Gallatin is overshadowed by its neighbor to the southwest Hendersonville that tends to get most of the attention when it comes to real estate interest, retail, schools, etc. That said, Gallatin has begun to come into its own...taking more interest in revitalizing the downtown square, attracting new businesses and workplaces (Beretta gun manufacturing comes to mind). I'd say it's fair to call Gallatin "blue collar" where Hendersonville is more "white collar" in the cities 2 personalities.

Gallatin has some extremely high end real estate (Fairvue Plantation) and some very rough neighborhoods. There is a pretty wide income divide. That said, I find myself spending more time (and money) in Gallatin than I do in Hendersonville these days.

Schools in Gallatin aren't quite as good as Hendersonville, but still are pretty good overall.

Plenty of things to do in the way of recreation. Old Hickory Lake is nearby. Several very nice parks in Gallatin. Not a lot of higher end shopping options there, but Hendersonville is a very close drive for that. Likewise there are a number of nice local restaurants in Gallatin and some standard chains (O Charley's, Cracker Barrell, Chili's, etc).

Hope that helps some.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 PM

722 posts, read 2,096,423 times
I agree, the closer to Hendersonville, the better.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:02 PM

256 posts, read 480,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
How would you describe Gallatin to someone about to move there from across the country?
The people, shopping etc.
Thanks.

"Experience Gallatin" 2014 Magazine

Gallatin Area Chamber of Commerce

City of Gallatin

Downtown Gallatin

Consider a Move to Gallatin (business info)

Old 01-28-2016, 10:06 PM

256 posts, read 480,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
I agree, the closer to Hendersonville, the better.

Hendersonville's just jealous they don't have a Square.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:27 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,286,384 times
Gallatin has actually become pretty hard to describe (in simple terms).

It's a county seat, so it has that cute old "small town square" aspect going for it (though not as nice or posh as, say, Franklin).

It does largely have a blue collar kind of vibe. Can seem a bit country/small townish. But it's starting to feel more like a far out suburb (exurb) over time. It's almost like they discovered that Hendersonville sits on the same lake that they do.

(From my knowledge of my dad's business) Definitely has a bit of a 'Good Ol' Boy' network in terms of politics & local gov't.

An odd juxtaposition of small town and suburban. As a kid, it was basically an outpost of Nashville. Not a lot of commuters. Very much its own place. Now has a mix of regular suburban as well as very wealthy suburban (lakeside) to that mix. The bypass (Vietnam Vets) that once ended well before you entered the city now leaves you at its doorstep.

As for shopping -- the basic city needs are covered, but I don't think it's that great. Hendersonville has much better options.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:33 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,286,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitymike View Post
Hendersonville's just jealous they don't have a Square.
...fighting Springfield for the 4th best square in the metro.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 AM

I'd agree with nashvols completely.

And echo the square envy by Hendersonville.

It may just be my circle of friends, but there is a real sense of pride and support for Gallatin that wasn't there 5 years ago. Especially with the square. Used to, there was no doubt on a date night we were going to East Nashville. And we still do quite often, but the offerings in Gallatin's square are pretty solid and getting better. Square Fest and other seasonal gatherings do a lot to help promote the city and can only help long term.

I'm all in on the square.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:12 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,953,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I'd agree with nashvols completely.

And echo the square envy by Hendersonville.

It may just be my circle of friends, but there is a real sense of pride and support for Gallatin that wasn't there 5 years ago. Especially with the square. Used to, there was no doubt on a date night we were going to East Nashville. And we still do quite often, but the offerings in Gallatin's square are pretty solid and getting better. Square Fest and other seasonal gatherings do a lot to help promote the city and can only help long term.

I'm all in on the square.
I've driven past a lot. Usually the music isn't quite my style or I don't see many people my age.
Is there ever anything targeted towards 20-somethings?

Old 02-04-2016, 03:15 PM

I'd say it's definitely more geared towards families. Crescent City is a family restaurant, as is Swaney Swift's (though the upstairs lounge is more in line for a 20 something I'd guess). The new pizza place Prince St. Pizza is probably your best bet for a 20 something but it too is family friendly and, oddly enough, sort of a dive. I am not sure I can fully recommend it yet as we had a mixed experience when we went...but they do have a good beer selection, darts, a good outdoor area. I saw a group of mid 20s guys in there Saturday afternoon and they seemed to be enjoying it.

So...no, not really anything geared for 20 somethings without kids. I'm a 30 something with kids so I'm a little out of the loop there. But I'd also say that Hendersonville is the same way...not much there for 20 somethings without kids. For that you really probably have to go to East Nashville to find cool stuff to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville