Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times

Advertisements

I think the last few comments underscore the religiosity of the South in general. Not too many other places in the US are folks going to come to stern words about the merits of church. Frankly, the general population doesn't give much of a "poop." So moving to the South, including Nashville, can be eye-opening when folks on both sides of the belief pulpit get really heated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 10:49 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Thanks for all the discussion on the religious angle. I think I have a pretty good flavor for it.

I want to thank everyone for the high level of thoughtful opinions. Initially I was a little nervous that this would devolved into a mindless flame war. So I'm very glad this didn't. Thank you very much. All have been very helpful.

I will probably check this board for the next couple of weeks for any new posts. I think we have a pretty good sense from the responses we received. We would be interested in getting more first hand feedback from gays and Asians (or married to Asians). Obviously, everybody's perspective is helpful. But, Asian and gay responses are particularly helpful because
1) Both groups are very small shares of the population. Just a random sample of the population isn't going to give you many response from either group.
2) I like to hear first hand experiences. Everybody's opinion is important and valid. But, I think we would all admit there is a difference between observing and experiencing.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:12 PM

37 posts, read 48,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Thanks, that's reassuring to hear. How do you find the work environments in Nashville? I don't think we are so much worried about blatant "racial animus" type stuff. Just more like click-ish "good old boy network" type stuff.
I actually think being asian in the work force in nashville has been an advantage for me, especially in a corporate environment. I stand out a little more, when the environment is a majority of white folks. I would say most big corps want to embrace the diversity, because when people think "nashville" they think "good old boy"...so im sure they would rather get rid of that image (atleast in the city). Bridgestone and Nissan's HQ are two major japanese corporations, and i like to believe that corporations around here are pushing to be more like them.

I dont go around looking for racism, so im sure that helps. Also, I think that once you get to professional level job, everyone is generally professional.

I'm proud to call nashville home. hope that helps

Old 02-16-2016, 05:28 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Thanks for all the discussion on the religious angle. I think I have a pretty good flavor for it.

I want to thank everyone for the high level of thoughtful opinions. Initially I was a little nervous that this would devolved into a mindless flame war. So I'm very glad this didn't. Thank you very much. All have been very helpful.

I will probably check this board for the next couple of weeks for any new posts. I think we have a pretty good sense from the responses we received. We would be interested in getting more first hand feedback from gays and Asians (or married to Asians). Obviously, everybody's perspective is helpful. But, Asian and gay responses are particularly helpful because
1) Both groups are very small shares of the population. Just a random sample of the population isn't going to give you many response from either group.
2) I like to hear first hand experiences. Everybody's opinion is important and valid. But, I think we would all admit there is a difference between observing and experiencing.
It really all depends on who your supposed yourself with.
Just working I've met one girl who was more like me.
However I haven't met anyone else who I've clicked with as well.

I'm sorry I don't have any experiences to help you with. Being not Asian and straight.

I will say the second set of people I met had a lot more conservative out looks and were hard to get along with.

My grandmother changes how she introduces my boyfriend and I depending on who she's talking to, some people she skirts around and tries to avoid saying he's just my boyfriend since we live together.

There are lots of people who are your age who won't have a problem, they're lots who will.
Just try your best to find people who don't get hung up on non issues.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 342 times
My husband Andy I are moving here to Nashville in Nippers corner area. I’m Filipino and he’s lighted skinned Mexican. I was initially nervous but wasn’t sure if it was guy or dark skinned Asian. I’m seeing the OP was three years ago but hoping he’ll get this and let me know how it’s been?

Old 06-18-2019, 07:31 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
We didn't end up moving. Not because of anything against Nashville, other plans got in the way. We did go for a visit and had a really good weekend. Everyone was really friendly. But, we basically did touristy things in the downtown, so I'm not sure I can offer too much insights about what it would be like to live there full time.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,112 times
Default You do you

We don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: