Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:43 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times

Advertisements

Praise for Nashville, exuberant and plentiful, rose from the red carpet Saturday as the NHL’s All-Stars strutted down Demonbreun Street to kick off the weekend’s competition.

Sporting sweet duds and wide smiles, players from across the country named Nashville one the best cities in the league.

"The city itself is unbelievable," Pacific Division captain John Scott said. "The energy, I freakin' love it."

Read more about it here from the Tennessean:

NHL All-Stars heat up red carpet in Nashville

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 10:40 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
It's a unique event. I went to the Fan Fair on Friday....it was a blast. While I'm happy to see a lot of teams/cities represented, I was especially proud to see so many Preds faithful show up. If anybody had doubts whether or not Nashville was a hockey town or not, this should do some convincing. Perhaps the most amazing thing is the weather. How fortunate is it that the best 4 day stretch of weather this month (or even this winter?) happens to fall right in line with this game? A week ago, we got 8 inches of snow. Next weekend will be 15-20 degrees colder.

Some pics from last night:

Old 01-31-2016, 06:38 AM

^^Awesome pics!

Lots of NHL fans from all over the US and Canada are tweeting how much they're enjoying Nashville and the All-Star weekend. This is from Canada's Sportsnet:

2016 NHL All Star - Sportsnet.ca

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-31-2016, 06:46 AM

Here's a video of the Montréal Canadiens' defenseman P.K. Subban on the good food he's had in Nashville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLWMlWOcbrU

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-31-2016, 06:57 AM

Only in Nashville would you find a country music star out on the ice. Here's Dierks Bentley teaming up with the Preds' James Neal:

Gotta See It: Dierks Bentley scores in tight jeans - Sportsnet.ca

A great video from a Canadian's perspective on the rise of hockey's popularity in Nashville, particularly with the raucus Cellblock 303 crowd:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p...ing-to-behold/

And the great Barry Trotz on his love of Nashville and returning to Nashville as an opposing coach:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/t...row_id=1617477

Country star or All Star?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/c...row_id=1617477

Country music superstar explaining how hockey has evolved in popularity in Nashville:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/v...row_id=1617477

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 01-31-2016 at 07:10 AM..

Old 01-31-2016, 07:07 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Dierks plays in one of the leagues here. Last night was incredibly fun. Even Mayor Barry was there with her own "Mayor" jersey. The couple sitting next to me flew down from Chicago and had had a fantastic weekend. Fanfare was packed yesterday with Pred's fans and also fans from all over. Friday was pretty busy and Thursday's early opening for season-ticket holder's was really a nice touch. I'm looking forward to the game this afternoon.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:23 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,096,494 times
Wish I could have made it to Fan Fest, looked like an awesome time.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:32 AM

Nashville glowed Predators gold this weekend, and the whole hockey world got to see it.

From the star-studded entertainment to the high-energy arena atmosphere, our city wowed visitors from NHL cities across the continent and did our team proud.

"Everyone who was here to experience it throughout the NHL saw what a hockey city Nashville is," Predators All-Star defenseman Shea Weber said.

...Player after player raved about Nashville's restaurants and entertainment scene. Even Bettman spouted about the proximity of all the events to Lower Broadway, where, he said, the party goes on all night. The estimated economic impact is expected to be as much as $25 million; an official study will be completed in the next several weeks.

Read more:

NHL All-Star weekend a big hit for Nashville

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-01-2016, 05:42 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
The game and entertainment yesterday was really fun. I sat one row away from Mayor Barry who was in attendance both days. And yesterday, governor Haslam and his wife joined her. Everyone that I talked to visiting from somewhere else really had a great time.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:54 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
The Good about the success of the All Star Game.

Nashville ends up on a lot of elite player's 'do not trade' cities. I think we also don't get a lot of respect from top tier free agents because we're not a traditional hockey market. I think this weekend did a lot to eliminate those myths. We repeatedly saw the best of the best in the league talking about how great Nashville is as a city and as a hockey town and that is AWESOME!

I've been to quite a few NHL cities and while I wouldn't put Nashville in the top 5, I would put them in the top 10 as far as passionate fans go. Preds fans fill that arena, even when the team isn't winning. Nashville is a good hockey town bordering on great... and the NHL's elite players saw that this weekend.

The Bad about the success of the All Star Game.

We are already experiencing significant growing pains with regard to our population. The last thing we needed was for 10s of thousands of hockey fans from around the country to descend on Music City and see how awesome it is... disregard the freakish sunshine and mid 60s weather in late January.

From a local perspective, it is hard to fathom sometimes how well Nashville presents itself to visitors. You fly in, drive down 24 to downtown... the skyline is beautiful and the progress is visible everywhere. You check into your (probably newly built) hotel, right in the heart of downtown and everything is walking distance - great restaurants, lower Broadway, the Gulch, the Farmer's Market, the Capitol, Bi-Centennial Park. Even MidTown is a short Lyft or uber away. While checking out the ****** tonks, you see the Bridgestone, the Schermerhorn, Country Music Hall of Fame, Music City Center... You eventually make it down by the river and see the Nissan Stadium. Not to mention the natural beauty of the area. Nashville definitely has it going on.

Now, as a hockey fan, you come to an event like this All Star Game... you see everything Nashville has to offer AND you experience an event like that? If I were one of those fans, I would have been on the job boards and looking at Zillow while waiting on my flight home at the airport. Did I mention how nice Nashville International is?

So now, we likely have several thousand more people that weren't thinking about relocating to Nashville, they probably weren't even thinking about relocating... suddenly, Nashville looks like a cool place to live.

I am absolutely one of those people that wants to roll up all the bridges now that I am here. I get that. With that said, the only thing worse than thousands upon thousands of new residents moving here every month is when those thousands upon thousands move here with allegiances to other hockey teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville