Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 02:49 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,656,187 times

Advertisements

Possible move to Columbia, please tell me what you think about it. Like it? Hate it? Low crime or high crime? Decent COL? Friendly people? lots of restaurants and shopping? Good rental market? I want to hear the good and the bad. How is the hospital? Traffic? Thanks in advance. If you think a newbie should know it please share. My husband is from East Tennessee so we haven't spent a lot time in the Nashville area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,287,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Possible move to Columbia, please tell me what you think about it. Like it? Hate it? Low crime or high crime? Decent COL? Friendly people? lots of restaurants and shopping? Good rental market? I want to hear the good and the bad. How is the hospital? Traffic? Thanks in advance. If you think a newbie should know it please share. My husband is from East Tennessee so we haven't spent a lot time in the Nashville area.
Like it? No.

Hate it? No.

Low crime or high crime? Higher than average.

Decent COL? Yes.

Friendly people? That can be more of a perception thing, but I certainly don't think they are unfriendly as a whole.

Not sure about the rental market, but it's likely a lot less expensive/competitive than the areas closer to Nashville.

The hospital (Maury Regional) has a good reputation -- probably one of the best for the size town it represents.

Traffic? Nothing that I would consider "bad". But I wouldn't commute to Nashville from there. I wouldn't want to commute to Franklin from there. If you're staying in Columbia or Spring Hill, it shouldn't be too bad.

I have kind of a neutral opinion of Columbia.

Good
-lower COL compared to cities closer to Nashville
-nice little town square and courthouse
-good local hospital

Bad
-crime is relatively high for a small town
-population growth is relatively stagnant -- so most *new* retailers choose to locate in Spring Hill instead
-Despite a rich local history, it is being heavily overshadowed by it's neighbor to the north -- Spring Hill.

Ugly
-Shopping -- you have the essentials. You want to go anywhere nice and up to date? Spring Hill strikes again.
-The city minus the square isn't overly appealing.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:24 PM

Thanks Nashvols, I would be working in springhill, so the commute shouldn't be bad. Appreciate the info.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:53 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,491,122 times
My view of Columbia: it really should be a heckuva lot better than it really is. Based on its location, its history, its old town center and old money families, it ought to be better, but it's far rougher than its cousin Franklin. Columbia is closer to what Franklin would have become without the Brentwood/Nashville boom and associated migration.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:21 PM

Thanks, shinestx.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:21 PM

159 posts, read 332,124 times
My husband & I (both retired) have lived outside of Columbia for over 6 years. Have met many wonderful people here. We have a new director of schools who is taking the county in a positive direction. Downtown has improved much since we have moved here. Many new restaurants and businesses. As long as you are just commuting to S.H. it shouldn't be bad at all. Maury county home prices are much lower than Williamson county. Columbia Community College is a definite asset to the community. That being said, the city and county governments are not at all progressive and we get frustrated at the "good old boy" politics. But we have seen a marked improvement in the direction that the city of Spring Hill has taken in the last few years. They have long term plans that will enhance the city. You can live outside of Spring Hill to the South and still pay Maury County real estate prices. Depends on what you are looking for.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:37 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,220,416 times
You can actually live in Spring Hill and be in Maury county. I will say that when I first moved to Spring Hill, there was one traffic light, a Food Lion grocery store, Lester's was a service station, and was nothing like it was a few years ago, when I went back to visit.

I haven't lived there since around 2005, but had a residence first in Spring Hill, the moved to Columbia off Bear Creek Pike (hwy 412). At that time, Columbia was a decent place to live, town square was nice and easy to get away from it all since it was far enough out from Nashville to still have the small town fee.

I did not spend much actual time in the area, since I was using TN for a legal address while I was overseas. So my input might not be valid at this time, but I did like the area, and with Nashville close by, made it even a greater place to live. And I never had a fear about leaving my residence vacant for many months and never had a problem. I would hope it was the same; but can imagine it has changed quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville