Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:15 AM

160 posts, read 186,733 times

Advertisements

Well it's finally happening! I am getting out of Houston and I couldn't be happier!

My husband got a job offer and he will be heading down in 2 weeks. I won't leave here until my son graduates next year. My husband will be staying in an extended stay for the time being.

He will be doing survey for a construction company and most of the work will be near downtown (sorry I don't know exactly where yet). We will rent for awhile to see how we like it and hopefully buy after that. I am open to suburbs within a 25-30 min commute to downtown or in the city. Schools don't matter and I don't need the nicest place just something fairly safe and no apartment since we have 2 med. sized dogs and my husband needs a garage. 2bd is ok but 3 would be nice in case family comes to visit. Our max price is 2k.

I'm really looking forward to getting out of Houston and having mountains within a few hours is so exciting to me since we're from Utah. We love camping and fishing and it looks like there is a lot more opportunity to do those things in TN. Does anyone here know of any good Jeep trails around? Our Wrangler hasn't been offroad since we moved to Houston!

Last edited by leavingutah; 03-18-2016 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 09:51 PM

838 posts, read 1,204,506 times
What part of Houston are you in? My brother lives up near the Woodlands and we have an aunt and uncle in Sugarland.

Not knowing your budget, it is kind of hard to recommend parts of town. I'm sure if you've been keeping up with the city you know that home prices (and rents) have skyrocketed here. Not knowing your budget, I would recommend you start looking in the Bellevue area to get you started. Prices there haven't seemed to shoot up quite as much as other areas. I also think Bellevue has some of the more striking hills in the area.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:22 PM

We live in The Woodlands too! It's a really nice place, I just don't like the Houston area.

Our max rental budget is 2000. I have been looking around and I'm a little shocked to see how high the prices are. It reminds me a lot of Austin. We have a really nice 1700 sqft sfh with a fenced yard and pay 1600\mo, I know we probably won't find anything like that there, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to get out of here.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:18 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,517,033 times
I'd look at Bellevue, Donelson and Hermitage.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:35 PM

One thing to keep in mind about Tennessee is the property taxes are A LOT lower here. We had an 1,800 sqft home in San Antonio on 1/4 of an acre in a nice part of town and in a nice subdivision. We were paying a little over $5,000 a year in property taxes. Here we live in a nice area, and again, in a nice subdivision. We have a 3,000 sqft home now on 1/2 an acre. The cost of the home is was almost exactly double here vs what we sold for in San Antonio. Our annual property taxes here are still only $2,800.

The ONLY thing I miss about Texas is friends and family. I don't miss the state at all. Actually, I do miss Taco Cabana and Whataburger too but that's it... family, friends, Taco Cabana and Whataburger.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
The ONLY thing I miss about Texas is friends and family. I don't miss the state at all. Actually, I do miss Taco Cabana and Whataburger too but that's it... family, friends, Taco Cabana and Whataburger.
We don't have family here and didn't live here long enough to make a lot of friends. The friends we did make moved to North Carolina. I am going to miss Whataburger, but not as much as I missed In and Out when we moved here from Arizona. What about bbq? What's the difference between there and here? I love burnt ends, tell me they have that

How's the temp and humidity there compared to Texas? What about the bugs lol! I was shocked when we moved to Houston and I had giant cockroaches in my house!

Old 03-21-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingutah View Post
We don't have family here and didn't live here long enough to make a lot of friends. The friends we did make moved to North Carolina. I am going to miss Whataburger, but not as much as I missed In and Out when we moved here from Arizona. What about bbq? What's the difference between there and here? I love burnt ends, tell me they have that

How's the temp and humidity there compared to Texas? What about the bugs lol! I was shocked when we moved to Houston and I had giant cockroaches in my house!
BBQ is a touchy subject here. There are only two places I've found that even come close to Texas BBQ. Everyone will tell you to hit up Judge Beans and I don't know who started the rumor but Judge Beans IS NOT Texas BBQ. It's not bad but I would rather go to a Rudys than Judge Beans (for those not from Texas - Rudys BBQ is typically found in gas stations).

Dickeys, the Wendys of Texas BBQ, is in Cool Springs and they have burnt ends. There is also Jacks on Charlotte, which is the best in town in my opinion. Don't go to the one downtown, it is not as good as the one on Charlotte. Martins in Nolensville is ok but doesn't live up to its reputation in my opinion.

I used to REALLY like BarbeCutie on Nolensville Rd. but a couple of years back they changed their sausage to something that looked and tasted bland and store bought. I haven't been back.

Another shock with regard to BBQ will be that the BBQ preference here is pork, not brisket. I thought people were playing some kind of joke on me at first but, nope, that is apparently the preference here. I look at that as an opportunity though... more brisket for me!

Full disclosure, I have not tried Edleys yet.

Weather, based on my experience in San Antonio (and I would guess Houston is similar but more humid), Nashville tends to run about 10 degrees cooler pretty much year round. Unlike Texas, there are 4 legitimate seasons. Summer can got hot (meaning high 90s and the rare low 100s) but the dog days of summer on seem to last 2-3 weeks here unlike Texas. In San Antonio the 4 seasons were November, December, January and Summer. Summer there was like 6-8 months of hell where it would still be in the 90s at 11 pm. Did I say I don't miss the place?

I haven't seen the airplane sized coackroaches that can fly here... yet. Ticks are more prevalent here than they were there and the mosquitos here are smaller and harder to detect than the buzzards that land on your arm in Texas. You don't notice them here until they already got you. Other than that, I don't notice much difference in the bugs. I have yet to see a scorpion here and we would get those things in our house in San Antonio at least 5 or 6 times a year.

Snakes are much less likely to be dangerous here than they were there. We had a couple of rattlers in up in our yard over the years there. Here I have seen two gardener snakes in our yard, which oddly gives me peace.

Give the Lone Star State a kick in the ass on your way out and say it was from me.

Again, all these statements are my opinions and observations. I say that because there is a crackpot that grew up here many decades ago that lives in Texas now. He loves to come in here and tell me I am wrong about my observations.

YMMV!

Old 03-21-2016, 04:02 PM

4,336 posts, read 4,682,808 times
Quote:
Full disclosure, I have not tried Edleys yet.

They only do brisket at lunch and it usually sells out fast. It's fine. Disclaimer - not a big BBQ fan of any sort.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:39 PM

177 posts, read 199,851 times
Moved from Nashville to Houston about 2 years ago. I would suggest Bellevue as a good place to start looking.

I will also say to expect sucky cold (but not much snow) grey winters, but less miserable summers than in Houston, infinitely nicer people, and if you like chicken, try Smokin' Thighs.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPollito View Post
infinitely nicer people
It wouldn't take much I'm in The Woodlands and there are SOME very stuck up, holier than thou, arrogant people here.

I hope the drivers and traffic are better there. I have never in my life seen such horrible drivers and I've lived in Utah, Arizona, California and Hawaii!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville