Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 08:41 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times

Advertisements

Someone at thrillist really likes Nashville.

Here at Thrillist, we've been in the "have fun in the city" game for over a decade now, and our resources run DEEP. Which is why we tapped our crack staff of writers and editors across the country to whittle down 300-plus American cities (with populations over 90k) to the absolute 25 best for spending three days. From bars and restaurants, iconic foods, and live tunes, to museums, outdoor activities, and cheap Airbnbs (not to mention beaches, parks, and ease of getting around), we took into consideration everything that makes for a great weekend.

The top 25:
  1. Nashville
  2. New Orleans
  3. San Francisco
  4. Austin
  5. Charleston SC
  6. Miami
  7. Las Vegas
  8. Savannah
  9. New York
  10. San Diego
  11. Seattle
  12. Portland OR
  13. Chicago
  14. Asheville
  15. St Petersburg
  16. Boulder
  17. Santa Rosa CA
  18. Madison WI
  19. Washington
  20. Cleveland
  21. Pittsburgh
  22. Philadelphia
  23. Providence
  24. Kansas City
  25. Sioux Falls SD (??)

Here's what it says about Nashville:

Must-eat/drink: Hot chicken/a Goo Goo Cluster (or three) and a Bushwhacker at Edley's

Don't leave without: Going to church, and we mean the Mother Church

Weekend highlights: Nashville is rapidly becoming as synonymous with food as it is music -- hello hot chicken and BBQ! -- attracting as many celebrity chefs as musicians and plenty of opportunities for delicious collaborations. (Planning a trip in the fall? Check out Music City Food + Wine Festival, founding members include Kings of Leon and chef Jonathan Waxman.) Take a guided tour of all the foodie hotspots with Walk Eat Nashville, hop on a Nashville Brew Bus to explore the local craft breweries, or treat your party to whiskey tastings at nearby distilleries like Nelson’s Green Brier Distillery and Corsair Distillery.

Having a great time in Nashville doesn’t mean you have to deplete your savings. There are more than 150 venues in town and many of them offer live music every night for FREE. And the honky tonks on Lower Broad play all day long, too -- just don’t forget cash for the tip jars. You can even catch a show while buying records at Grimey’s New & Preloved Music or attend a live-to-acetate recording at Jack White’s Third Man Records.

While you definitely should hit Ascend Amphitheater, a 6,800-capacity outdoor venue on the riverfront, if you want to take in a larger act, there’s no better sound in town than one coming from Ryman Auditorium. As for sports, depending on the season you're visiting, you've got the Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, and the new 10,000-seat First Tennessee Park to enjoy a Nashville Sounds game. (Watch from the outfield on the patio of The Band Box with a frozen whiskey and Coke in hand. Just a suggestion.)

The entire list:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...ton-providence

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 08:48 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Do you think travel writers, at this point, are just simply tired of putting truly worthy cities like San Francisco, NYC, Chicago, LA, Seattle, New Orleans, Portland, etc, etc at the top of these lists and are jumping on bandwagon cities like Nashville and to a lesser extent Austin?

Maybe (to use a Bible Belt metaphor) they're like preachers who grow tired of preaching the same sermon each week and are just happy to try something different.

Not that Nashville isn't a great place to spend a weekend. I think it truly is. But I'm getting a little burned out of reading these kinds of articles because I think we're way beyond being overhyped at this point. Nashville over San Francisco? Please.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:44 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Do you think travel writers, at this point, are just simply tired of putting truly worthy cities like San Francisco, NYC, Chicago, LA, Seattle, New Orleans, Portland, etc, etc at the top of these lists and are jumping on bandwagon cities like Nashville and to a lesser extent Austin?

Maybe (to use a Bible Belt metaphor) they're like preachers who grow tired of preaching the same sermon each week and are just happy to try something different.

Not that Nashville isn't a great place to spend a weekend. I think it truly is. But I'm getting a little burned out of reading these kinds of articles because I think we're way beyond being overhyped at this point. Nashville over San Francisco? Please.
I would agree with you to a point DC. If this were an article about where to spend a week vacationing, I would say any of the major cities you listed. This article though is talking about where to spend a weekend. I've spent a weekend in NYC, Chicago, LA, New Orleans and San Francisco and honestly, a weekend just isn't enough time. Nashville on the other hand, you can get a lot done in a weekend.

Most instances of shunning the big cities to list a little city like Nashville higher up I agree, it does seem like a blatant nod toward variety. The good place to spend a weekend list, I am ok with Nashville being toward the top.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:51 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Nashville over San Francisco? Please.

:-)

Old 03-29-2016, 10:26 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Nashville over San Francisco? Please.
For a weekend trip? Yes.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:49 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
Most instances of shunning the big cities to list a little city like Nashville higher up I agree, it does seem like a blatant nod toward variety. The good place to spend a weekend list, I am ok with Nashville being toward the top.
I hadn't really considered this angle. You can pretty well knock most of Nashville's offerings out in a 3 day weekend. San Francisco, NYC, Chicago...maybe not as much. So fair point there.

My travel style has historically been geared towards doing nothing at all (the beach) or as much as possible (Bay Area in 3-4 days). So I may not be the best judge here.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:08 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
For a weekend trip? Yes.
I agree. A weekend in the Bay Area will be spent in traffic, looking for a parking place, or figuring out the public transport system.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:12 PM

456 posts, read 586,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I agree. A weekend in the Bay Area will be spent in traffic, looking for a parking place, or figuring out the public transport system.
A weekday in Nashville....the same above statement holds true.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:50 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,832 times
Was up there over the weekend with my sister from Manhattan and her six kids... my brother from London and his wife/kid... and my brother who lives in West Nashville, our host. I had my three and wife. We all explored the city and must say was (Wow!) impressed. I get up there on business somewhat often, but my sister and brother had not been in several years. I can see why Nashville made the top of Thrillist. As someone rooted in Atlanta, I couldn't believe that "li'l ol' Nashville" really is a better place to spend a weekend than Atlanta. I need to stop kidding myself... IT IS! Some of us even took in a Predators game (they played the Blue Jackets), and the atmosphere was simply "electric". There's a huge huge buzz going on up there and if people don't know what's going on, they're not on the ball.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:11 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
even took in a Predators game (they played the Blue Jackets), and the atmosphere was simply "electric". There's a huge huge buzz going on up there and if people don't know what's going on, they're not on the ball.

That was such a great game!

Quote:

If you read the list, you'll note that they have the Sonoma Co. wine country as it's own separate entry for another weekend.

If you stay in SF, you do not need a car, nor need to deal with traffic, or a parking place. It's very walkable, or take the cable car (which anyone can figure out - get on and the man will ask you to pay and take your money and even give you change), the street cars, or even the Muni (bus). Or Uber/Lyft/taxi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville