Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 02:19 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,494 times

Advertisements

I don't think it is any one thing that is driving the growth. We have a core economy that is unique to Nashville that drives much of it (healthcare administration and startups as well as the music industry). The healthcare industry gives Nashville cache in business circles, and the music industry gives Nashville cache in tourism and culture circles. Name recognition goes a long way, and living in a cool place means something. New restaurants, music venues, parks, art shows, etc., are what people remember, and fortunately for us we play like a much larger city.

Nashville's economy is also very diversified. While everyone knows healthcare and music are huge, there is also a very large manufacturing base in Nashville, especially to the southeast. There's also a large shipping/supply chain/warehousing sector north of town and increasingly in the Mt Juliet-Lebanon area. You'll find technology startups, large higher education institutions, restaurant headquarters, banking and finance headquarters, automotive headquarters, marketing firms, shared services headquarters, and on and on.

Nashville is a place that has high quality living regardless of ones preferences. If you want to live in a suburban locale, we have that. If you want to live in a safe, urban neighborhood (and can afford it) we have that. If you want to live in a semi-rural place with amazing topography but close to the city we have that.

There's also an entrepreneurial spirit to Nashville that permeates across classes and neighborhoods. I have lived in the rust-belt where people expect to work for "the man" and for "the man" to take care of them. Here, it seems like people want to work for themselves. They innovate, they start small businesses, they leave their job if the pay or benefits aren't right. That creates extraordinary numbers of jobs and grows the economy.

The weather places us at a benefit as well. While people prefer all types of weather, most people like it to be warmer rather than colder and prefer to have four seasons distinct seasons. While some people may run from the relatively hot, sticky summers, more people come here for the mild winters and fabulous fall and spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 04:25 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,003 times
New construction on the north side (OUTSIDE the loop - Elizabeth Park) has hit $215/sq. ft. We'll see what they actually end up getting. Next door to me they are going to put new construction on the market for $258 sq. ft (and they've already increased the price).

Old 04-07-2016, 04:38 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,085 times
The Nashville Business Journal gives more info on the housing boom in metro Nashville.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...s-housing.html

Old 04-07-2016, 07:00 PM

456 posts, read 586,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
I don't think it is any one thing that is driving the growth. We have a core economy that is unique to Nashville that drives much of it (healthcare administration and startups as well as the music industry). The healthcare industry gives Nashville cache in business circles, and the music industry gives Nashville cache in tourism and culture circles. Name recognition goes a long way, and living in a cool place means something. New restaurants, music venues, parks, art shows, etc., are what people remember, and fortunately for us we play like a much larger city.

Nashville's economy is also very diversified. While everyone knows healthcare and music are huge, there is also a very large manufacturing base in Nashville, especially to the southeast. There's also a large shipping/supply chain/warehousing sector north of town and increasingly in the Mt Juliet-Lebanon area. You'll find technology startups, large higher education institutions, restaurant headquarters, banking and finance headquarters, automotive headquarters, marketing firms, shared services headquarters, and on and on.

Nashville is a place that has high quality living regardless of ones preferences. If you want to live in a suburban locale, we have that. If you want to live in a safe, urban neighborhood (and can afford it) we have that. If you want to live in a semi-rural place with amazing topography but close to the city we have that.

There's also an entrepreneurial spirit to Nashville that permeates across classes and neighborhoods. I have lived in the rust-belt where people expect to work for "the man" and for "the man" to take care of them. Here, it seems like people want to work for themselves. They innovate, they start small businesses, they leave their job if the pay or benefits aren't right. That creates extraordinary numbers of jobs and grows the economy.

The weather places us at a benefit as well. While people prefer all types of weather, most people like it to be warmer rather than colder and prefer to have four seasons distinct seasons. While some people may run from the relatively hot, sticky summers, more people come here for the mild winters and fabulous fall and spring.
The large manufacturing chain you are referring to is more on 840 and Lebanon. Mt. Juliet has Underarmour and maybe four other manufacturing places in whole city. Lebanon/840 might have 20-30.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:04 PM

932 posts, read 898,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie1212 View Post
Honestly, there are so many corporate HQ's and regional corporate offices relocating here the list is too long to show here. Healthcare, healthcare technology, publishing, banking, manufacturing, music, distribution, service industries (hotels, restaurants, retail, etc), insurance. .. and many others. The reality is: it's a good place to live and work.

That still doesn't answer op question at all.

OP wants to know why people are deciding to move here now vs 7 or 8 years ago. Why are HQ relocating here now

The answer in my opinion was 1. GM expanding, lots of people from up north got transferred here to GM in Spring hill that brought a lot of their family

2. Nissan expansion brought a lot of people as well. Those expansion brings in fresh people and have people talking. A lot of those fake articles saying Nashville is the best city helped as well lol

3. Hurricane Katrina brought in tons of people

Now these people who come here talk about it to others which make others curious

I came here right before the boom and I saw it coming. This was in 2007. GM and factories up north was closing and lot of people migrated here such as me.

Truthfully I thing the city is going to flop. A lot of people are here temporary just to say i was here. A lot of people are moving away. In a year everything will go back to normal again. Traffic cant not even be fixed here

Birmingham is set to be the next best thing soon. I'm already investing in that city

And NO the tv show Nashville didnt put Nashville on ..lol

Old 04-08-2016, 06:21 PM

74 posts, read 89,725 times
Firstly, key2succcess...I don't appreciate your unhelpful response and tone to my post. Secondly, I stand by my comments: the amount of corporate relocation/greenfield is accelerating...has been the past few years. Katrina? What? Yes, some folks moved here. GM? That started in the early 90s and your info is way dated. A recent resurgence in investment and committed resources via GM has definitely helped Maury and Williamson counties...but their contracted, outsourced labor model is definitely not as sweet as the original Saturn biz model. Might want to check your spelling, grammer and overall grasp of facts before you start criticizing and hypothesizing. ...

Old 04-08-2016, 07:00 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
That still doesn't answer op question at all.

OP wants to know why people are deciding to move here now vs 7 or 8 years ago. Why are HQ relocating here now

The answer in my opinion was 1. GM expanding, lots of people from up north got transferred here to GM in Spring hill that brought a lot of their family

2. Nissan expansion brought a lot of people as well. Those expansion brings in fresh people and have people talking. A lot of those fake articles saying Nashville is the best city helped as well lol

3. Hurricane Katrina brought in tons of people

Now these people who come here talk about it to others which make others curious

I came here right before the boom and I saw it coming. This was in 2007. GM and factories up north was closing and lot of people migrated here such as me.

Truthfully I thing the city is going to flop. A lot of people are here temporary just to say i was here. A lot of people are moving away. In a year everything will go back to normal again. Traffic cant not even be fixed here

Birmingham is set to be the next best thing soon. I'm already investing in that city

And NO the tv show Nashville didnt put Nashville on ..lol
Well bless your heart...

Old 04-08-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Firstly, key2succcess...I don't appreciate your unhelpful response and tone to my post. Secondly, I stand by my comments: the amount of corporate relocation/greenfield is accelerating...has been the past few years. Katrina? What? Yes, some folks moved here. GM? That started in the early 90s and your info is way dated. A recent resurgence in investment and committed resources via GM has definitely helped Maury and Williamson counties...but their contracted, outsourced labor model is definitely not as sweet as the original Saturn biz model. Might want to check your spelling, grammer and overall grasp of facts before you start criticizing and hypothesizing. ...

I guess your trying to make me look bad since I corrected you correctly. i didnt have a mean tone nor was my response unhelpful. All that i said was that your response did not answer OP question..

OP repeated multiple times what she was asking because nobody answered directly so i just thought I would help!

Old 04-08-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:

I post facts. More then 21,000 came hear year or so after Katrina hit

When Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast 10 years ago this weekend, tens of thousands of residents across low-lying areas of Louisiana and Mississippi evacuated for higher ground. More than 21,000 of them landed in Tennessee, bunking with family members and in hotels and shelters. Some stayed and integrated into community and parish life and were taken in by Catholic schools in the Diocese of Nashville.
New Orleans natives find new home in Tennessee after Katrina | Diocese of Nashville | Nashville, TN

Last edited by JMT; 04-09-2016 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: Trolling

Old 04-08-2016, 09:07 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
I post facts. More then 21,000 came hear year or so after Katrina hit

When Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast 10 years ago this weekend, tens of thousands of residents across low-lying areas of Louisiana and Mississippi evacuated for higher ground. More than 21,000 of them landed in Tennessee, bunking with family members and in hotels and shelters. Some stayed and integrated into community and parish life and were taken in by Catholic schools in the Diocese of Nashville.
New Orleans natives find new home in Tennessee after Katrina | Diocese of Nashville | Nashville, TN
21,000 came to Tennessee. 21,000 did not come to Nashville. If I'm not mistaken, the majority landed in Memphis...but Nashville did see a decent influx.

Last edited by JMT; 04-09-2016 at 05:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville