Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 06:34 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Wondering about this topic myself. There are so many jobs in my field in Nashville (healthcare revenue cycle), and the city's lower than average unemployment rate entices me to apply, but I'm concerned about the politics. I currently live in Collier county, FL. One of the most conservative parts of the state, and I only received praise for driving around with my Bernie sticker on my car around primary voting time. I'm gay too so if there is a lot of religion in area that needs to be taken into consideration.
You'll be fine in Nashville. Lots of your people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 11:07 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,507,790 times
Quote:
Wondering about this topic myself. There are so many jobs in my field in Nashville (healthcare revenue cycle), and the city's lower than average unemployment rate entices me to apply, but I'm concerned about the politics. I currently live in Collier county, FL. One of the most conservative parts of the state, and I only received praise for driving around with my Bernie sticker on my car around primary voting time. I'm gay too so if there is a lot of religion in area that needs to be taken into consideration.
Noooo... Nashville is a backwater, hick town with bug-eyed conservatives strumming banjos on every corner. Please tell your friends to stay away.

Okay... frankly, I find posts like this absurd. As a conservative-to-middle of the road person, it would never occur to me to stay away from a place because the residents are "too leftist". For other reasons that may be related to their collective leftist tendencies (like high taxes, high crime, expensive housing), I might. So is there a view of conservatives that leftists have that when together they discuss conservatives in derogatory terms? Or do leftists have an urge to talk smack to any conservative they encounter? Maybe I WILL stay away from such places then.

Frankly, I don't put a bumper sticker on my car, but if I did it would not be to seek praise. Yet, it seems the stickers I see mostly are from leftists apparently seeking love. As pointed out ad nauseam here and elsewhere, if you were asking about some town in the boonies, say Lickskillet, Tennessee (or anywhere for that matter), I might understand your concerns. But take heart... NOT an issue in this case. I will point out to those who believe Nashville (or other places with a conservative heritage) is scary because they perceive backwater hicks everywhere, you ought to ask why the "liberal" places you'd relate to are seeing their middle class populations leave; or even why people educated in those places would even think a city of Nashville's size would be the stereotypical Beverly Hillbillies Bugscuffle.

But to the point about places run (for generations) by leftists, places like NYC and SF are too expensive now for so-called regular folks to live there. And along with that, ask yourselves why places like Nashville, Charlotte, Richmond, Indianapolis and other midsize cities with sizable taxpaying conservative populations are still attracting businesses and regular people. Could it be that they are still places where taxpayers still hold their local governments in check? Nashville's new Mayor Barry has been on a spending spree of late, and lots of people have already let her know their displeasure with that. Would that be happening in SF or NYC? I have a feeling not, if such people are even still living there. If so, they're doubtlessly dismissed as cold and heartless. Final point, I have spent countless amounts of (days/weeks) in NYC and to a lesser degree SF, and I must tell you that I've never been to a place were everyone thought the same about politics as in Manhattan. OMG!!! I finally concluded there was no way to have an enlightening political conversation with multiple points of view in NYC.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:15 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaball50 View Post
A job opportunity came up in Nashville, but I'm apprehensive about moving from a very diverse suburban area near a large city in the North where no one asks or cares about religion or one's sexual orientation, to a state that wants to make the Bible the state book and has a "Religious Freedom" law. I'm a pro choice, pro gay marriage, atheist, but I don't make a big deal out of people's different beliefs. (My husband is Mr. Conservative, so he will fit in just fine. lol) I believe in respecting others opinions and choices. A few people have told me that I won't make many friends if I move to Tennessee and I will be lonely and miserable. How true is this statement?
If moving somewhere truly affects your beliefs this much, stay there.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:59 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
The OP will only have a problem if the OP expects people to endorse her views. Anyone moving here hoping it will become a place full of atheist liberals who support left wing social causes will obviously be permanently offended and unhappy. This is a conservative religious state, the OP knows that and everyone knows that. However the idea that the OP will be treated badly simply because they hold those views is wrong, even offensive. I know liberals, and they have happy little liberal lives even here in this conservative place. They often have conservative friends and mix just fine. There are also liberal areas in the bigger cities of TN, especially near the colleges. For a liberal to enjoy life here they must at least tolerate those who hold views opposite of theirs. Most people who can do that will get along just fine about anywhere. Tennessee may be a conservative state but its also a live and let live state too. If you are someone who is constantly arguing about this stuff and confronting others or judging their views you will find problems. If you are tolerant of your Christian neighbors asking about church, tolerant of those who have traditional views on social issues, tolerant of those who own guns or hunt, if you can be friends with them in spite of their different world view then you will be fine here. Anyone moving here expecting it to change for them, well that will not turn out as well. I wonder if a conservative like me would be welcomed in the OPs liberal northern city, say a place like Boston?? (have no idea where the OP is moving from) If the OP can answer that question then they likely have the answer for how they will do here.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:21 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Noooo... Nashville is a backwater, hick town with bug-eyed conservatives strumming banjos on every corner. Please tell your friends to stay away.

Okay... frankly, I find posts like this absurd. As a conservative-to-middle of the road person, it would never occur to me to stay away from a place because the residents are "too leftist". For other reasons that may be related to their collective leftist tendencies (like high taxes, high crime, expensive housing), I might. So is there a view of conservatives that leftists have that when together they discuss conservatives in derogatory terms? Or do leftists have an urge to talk smack to any conservative they encounter? Maybe I WILL stay away from such places then.

Frankly, I don't put a bumper sticker on my car, but if I did it would not be to seek praise. Yet, it seems the stickers I see mostly are from leftists apparently seeking love. As pointed out ad nauseam here and elsewhere, if you were asking about some town in the boonies, say Lickskillet, Tennessee (or anywhere for that matter), I might understand your concerns. But take heart... NOT an issue in this case. I will point out to those who believe Nashville (or other places with a conservative heritage) is scary because they perceive backwater hicks everywhere, you ought to ask why the "liberal" places you'd relate to are seeing their middle class populations leave; or even why people educated in those places would even think a city of Nashville's size would be the stereotypical Beverly Hillbillies Bugscuffle.

But to the point about places run (for generations) by leftists, places like NYC and SF are too expensive now for so-called regular folks to live there. And along with that, ask yourselves why places like Nashville, Charlotte, Richmond, Indianapolis and other midsize cities with sizable taxpaying conservative populations are still attracting businesses and regular people. Could it be that they are still places where taxpayers still hold their local governments in check? Nashville's new Mayor Barry has been on a spending spree of late, and lots of people have already let her know their displeasure with that. Would that be happening in SF or NYC? I have a feeling not, if such people are even still living there. If so, they're doubtlessly dismissed as cold and heartless. Final point, I have spent countless amounts of (days/weeks) in NYC and to a lesser degree SF, and I must tell you that I've never been to a place were everyone thought the same about politics as in Manhattan. OMG!!! I finally concluded there was no way to have an enlightening political conversation with multiple points of view in NYC.
Repped! And, guess what? I'm a "leftist" (I certainly lean more left than right, anyway).

I say many of my fellow liberals do, in fact, tend to be every bit as narrow-minded and intolerant, if not more so, than the most right-wing conservatives. They're so hypocritical. So much for being "liberal"...

Old 04-24-2016, 01:03 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,104,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoleman View Post
We've lived here for almost 7 years (also in Sumner County) and have carved out our niche of friends that are like minded. You will still be asked where you go to church on a regular basis but I think you will also find some of the nicest people you've ever met down here. As it is with anywhere you live, it is what you make of it.
I find that strange because I'm further into the Bible belt and I've only been asked about which church we attend once and whether we have Jesus in our hearts once. I have made lots of friends, some of them preachers so you'd think we'd be asked. But nope. Nothing down here where there is a church for every 50 people! It's amazing in this tiny town that there are at least 15 churches, some of them right next to each other. In one short mile on the main road, there are 5 churches of different denominations and 2 fellowship halls. In 1 mile!!

But the rest of your post is exactly right. Some of the nicest people, always willing to jump in and lend a hand yet mostly keep to themselves, not at all busy bodies as I'd expected. We retired here 3.5 years ago. We'll be here for a while.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:04 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,783 times
I have friends that are both right and left wing. From the sound of things this is a very rare sight.

Blanket statements for everyone: Nashville has a progressive, liberal female mayor. Nashville is a city. Nashville is not like the rest of Tennessee. If you're interested in moving to the city of Nashville you should be fine unless you're expecting to be let down. If you're too worried about conservative mindsets of people who live outside of the city in areas you likely won't spend much time in, then I would A.) stay put, and B.) reevaluate your priorities.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:33 AM

160 posts, read 159,194 times
Short answer......YES!

Old 04-25-2016, 09:45 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I have friends that are both right and left wing. From the sound of things this is a very rare sight.

Blanket statements for everyone: Nashville has a progressive, liberal female mayor. Nashville is a city. Nashville is not like the rest of Tennessee. If you're interested in moving to the city of Nashville you should be fine unless you're expecting to be let down. If you're too worried about conservative mindsets of people who live outside of the city in areas you likely won't spend much time in, then I would A.) stay put, and B.) reevaluate your priorities.
This.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:27 PM

3,041 posts, read 3,310,193 times
Quote:
Reminds me of an old country song. Can you mind your own business, so you don't mind mine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville