Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 03:12 PM

5 posts, read 17,730 times

Advertisements

Just wanted some advice on getting out of suburbia? My wife and I have lived in Hendersonville for quite some time now while we raised our kids. And don't get me wrong it's been great for that. But in the near future as we get ready for early retirement we want to get out of suburbia and anything to do with it and live in an area that has a hipper scene. more vibrant / liberal, galleries, coffee shops, natural food markets, more health conscious, upscale shops & restaurants and close to museums, concerts, etc... You get the picture and I'm some of you know exactly what I'm talking about. Will definately consider condo's or zero lot homes? Thier may not be an area like this in Davidson / Williamson county or if there is may be way out of our price range (looking at 300k - 400k). Then again we have considered moving a few other places around the county if this is not a reality in this area. Now if you happen to be from another area around the country that this sounds like let me know so we can consider... thanks in advance for the advice.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 03:26 PM

68 posts, read 238,033 times
St. Louis is worth exploring. There is very high crime there but it is typically isolated to specific geographic areas. There is a big push for urban revitalization and many neighborhodds are coming back to life and becoming very trndy. There are even several "clubs" for people wanting to rebuild the city properties you can probably google out easily. I lost all my good favorites in a hard drive melt down a couple weeks ago. You seem to get a lot more for your money there than Nashivlle as well.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:12 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,203,100 times
The only area in Nashville that might fit your needs is the Midtown/Weest End/Hillsboro Village area. I assume you're familiar with that option and rejected it. I don't really have any other suggestions. One of the cities a little larger than Nashville might fit.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm looking at early retirement myself. I have dreams of a cabin in the woods however. ;-)

Old 02-18-2008, 12:31 PM

160 posts, read 502,582 times
The area around Vanderbilt and Green Hills seems to match what you want with Vanderbilt being slightly more urban.
Of course, I would have to 2nd the St. Louis recommendation. I went to school there and they have lots of "in the city" neighborhoods that match what you want, plus many of the inner ring suburbs on the central and south central sides have successful reinvinted themselves with mini-downtowns. Especially of interest to you would be the Central West End, University City, and Clayton areas.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 AM

64 posts, read 246,012 times
How exciting for you both!! I think there are three areas you should look at for that "urban" feel you are looking for. They are Hillsboro/Vandy, Germantown, and Historic East Nashville. You would have a wide choice of single family homes, condo's, zero lot lines, etc. to choose from in each of these areas. I have lived in Hills/Vandy and currently reside in EN, and visit and work in each of the areas, I highly recommend you take a closer look!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville