Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 11:20 PM

200 posts, read 322,204 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm looking at different websites for renting apartments. I've been looking on Apartments.com, Craigslist, and others. I even looked at "Take Section 8" web as well. Well, to make a long story short I was wondering if there's some kind of an apartment finders kinda place. I know & used to be registered w/ "Apartment Locators" in Donelson, but I know they're more like Realtors. They seem likely to help you more w/ those apartment complexes where the "landlord" is the Manager/Supervisor of the complex like "East Lake Apartments", "Stewart Ferry Apartments", "Nashboro Village", "Dawn Villa Apartments", etc. What I'm saying is b/f I moved out to NJ yrs. ago there was this type of place (physical) that I registered w/ that had a Database on landlords who owned Prvt. Homes/Houses who had space for someone to rent. In my case, I was looking to rent out a ROOM from a family rather than a roommate. I figured w/ a family there wouldn't be much drama betw. me and them.

SO - I went to this place & filled out like a criteria. The criteria of how much I'm willing to spend, what areas I'm looking in, and so on. After I filled this out these people would print out a Database on Landlords in those areas I preferred who had Prvt. Rooms for Rent in their Homes/Houses w/ the prices I was looking for & their contact info. & so on. So, yes, I was successful in finding a few places to live in.

Now that I want to move to Nashville I'm looking for something like this. (I'm Not Comparing NJ over Nashville, just trying find a resource to go to in finding a list of landlords who own homes/houses for rent in diff. areas). So, I was wondering:

Would there be any "apartment finders" or "rent finders" like the apartment/rent finders that I used in NJ?

I know I can continue looking for apartments on apartments.com, Craigslist, etc., but I rather prefer to rent out an apartment from a landlord who owns a home. E.g. when I last visited Nashville I used "AirBnb" (I used "AirBnb" on the same trip to Austin, TX as well. Only thing is that in Austin I rented out a prvt. room from another host). The Host had a studio apartment w/ its own entrance on the top floor of her house. The area was ok, but to me this setting would be great for a student who's renting out an apartment that's not too far from school. Now this wasn't the Donelson area, but the fact that this was a studio apartment in a House setting I liked it.

So,

Would anyone know where I can find these people - i.e. where landlords who own prvt. homes would be looking to find tenants - Besides Craigslist?
(I'd rather not just look into Craigslist.) Again,

Are there any type of apartment finders like the place out in NJ that you can register w/ & who'll give you a database list of all the landlords who own prvt. homes and the areas and prices you're looking for??

Please let me know (I really hope there's something like that in Nashville.) I'm open to any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 07:03 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,054,895 times
A lot of those little hidden gems are now being rented on AirBNB because owners can make so much more money renting by the night rather than by the month. Also, Nashville is a very hot rental area right now and places are hard to find. Sorry.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:55 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,710,546 times
try looking under property management.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:18 PM

Hi Artemis, Thank you for your suggestion. Funny thing is that you're the 2nd person who suggested that I look into property management too. She was my AirBnb host & told me that this is how Landlords look for tenants. Unfortunately, she didn't mention any companies though I responded back asking her names of those companies landlords they use. So, I have the same question for you:

What companies do these landlords use?

Now I don't know too much about property management only the fact that they're related to real estate. I thought real estate only applied to those looking to Buy a house. Again, please forgive me, but here (NY) landlords who rent out space in their houses usually not only go thru Craigslist, but LOCAL Papers such as here in NY's Westchester County - "Journal News" or in NJ "The Star Ledger". So,

Are property managements the ONLY resource?

What about the "Tennessean" Paper (or Nashville Scene)??!!

Now on the flip side:

Do the Tenants Find Landlords in the Property Management too?

So,

Are AirBnb, Craigslist, & Property Management companies the ONLY resources to find these type of landlords?

Again, I'm not trying to come off w/ which place is better than the other. My heart is in Nashville & I am trying to do Everything that I can to Get Back to Living there. Please let me know. I'm open to any suggestions.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:45 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,699,820 times
We list on Craigslist and Zillow when we are listing a private rental. But I will warn you that the rental market is really tight right now. It's been our experience that perspective renters will contact the first day a property is listed offering to sign a lease and pay a deposit site unseen to secure something before moving to Nashville. We generally don't do that, but I have no idea if other landlords do. So things could be going off the rental market before someone even steps foot in them.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:52 AM

628 posts, read 615,314 times
Are there regions of the city where you'd have a better chance at finding a rental? And areas that would be worse due to higher demand than others?

Old 08-04-2016, 12:29 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,054,895 times
I'd say it depends on your budget. How much did you want to spend? Obviously the higher the budget, the more options you'd have.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
Are there regions of the city where you'd have a better chance at finding a rental? And areas that would be worse due to higher demand than others?
Hi Alliance,

Thanks. Well, I stayed in Donelson for a while by "Percy Priest" & loved it (Had to move back up in NYC to my parents - family matters as well as financial). I am making steps towards moving BACK (in Nashville). I hate living back up here & am "Nashville" (Home) Sick. I MISS IT!! So, I liked Donelson. B/f I moved to Nashville I visited the city a few times so I know the Vandy area, I know South Nash, a little of West & North, but Never really had the chance to visit EAST.

1st time I visited I stayed in a Hotel in South part - Murfreesboro Pike around Fesslers Lane.

2nd time I stayed in a Hotel on West End 1 or 2 blocks away from Belmont & blocks away from Vandy. Of course, on my 2nd trip I visited Downtown (Touristy part), but stayed in the Vandy part. I also visited the Nashville Community College & Green Hills Mall area & This was the trip where I "discovered" "Percy Priest". OMG!!! This was the end of my world. After discovering (what I call) "The Lake" & being a musician who had visited a few clubs (Exit Inn, Basement, etc.) this is when I Knew Nashville Is My Place. But @ this time I didn't have enough time to really "job hunt". There was just so much stuff to take in.

So, on my last trip I stayed at another hotel on Elm Hill Pike in Donelson. There I got to know the Donelson area (McGavock, Lebanon Pike, etc), but at that time I was going on a few info. interviews in various places (Lipscomb Univ., Vandy, Nashville Community College, Metro Nashville Arts Commission, etc.). & of course, I had to RE-VISIT "The Lake".

So, Finally, I jumped on the plane & moved. My boss (Staples Mngr.) gave me a transfer to work at a "Staples" in Mt. Juilet (I wasn't really crazy about Mt. Juilet. To me I felt so removed from "the city"). I stayed w/ a roommate in Donelson RIGHT NEXT to "The Lake". I did my food shopping around I-40, got haircut on Lebanon Pike, went to CVS to get things like shampoo, etc. used the Donelson Public Library Branch, went to McDee's On Donelson Pike, & so on. Oh, & most importantly, I Volunteered & the "Metro Nashville Arts Commission" since I'm into the Arts & was a Music Teacher. I videoed an "Indian Music Ensemble" & went to the "TPAC" for an opera. SO, this is just a "few" things I experienced in living in Nashville.

& Lastly, I re-visited this last April for a few days (Had to go to Austin, TX & decided to "stop" in Nashville for a few days to get more info. like on apartment hunting, etc.). I stayed w/ an "AirBnb" Host who had a studio apart. on top of her house. The section was pretty good (at least for me, I thought that her location would make a great location for a College student who's attending Belmont or Vandy.). It was close to Downtown & close to I-440. However, for some reason (& I didn't get a chance to) I was "Donelson" (Home) sick. I didn't get a chance to visit "The Lake" nor drive thru "Donelson" for any reasons b/c some of the appointments that I did make ahead were in Southern part of I-65 (like Brentwood)

SO-

To answer your question. I would say Donelson. Maybe it's b/c of living near "The Lake"??!! I'd rather not look into Antioch & Southern part of Nashville around the "Fessler's Lane" area. I don't know too much about West side (i.e. Charlotte Pike - I went on an info. interview w/ an Arts Dir. on Charlotte Pike around "Noah's Opera Theater & I think I passe Sylvan Park). I don't know too much about the North part. 1 of the info. interviews I had was in TN State near Rosa Parks Blvd. area. & Lastly, I Finally got a chance to get to know East part. I did check out some clubs like "5 Spot", "East Room", etc., but even tho' I am a musician I'm not really interested in Living in East. My lifestyle I am trying to create is working around Downtown-Metro area, Collaborating-Gigging w/ other musicians, & going to "The Lake". So, basically, I want to live in a quiet area w/ reasonable rent & doing my music & working OUTSIDE of my "Living Quarters". Anyway, I hope I gave you some of my knowledge & backgr. in some of the areas I experienced in Nashville. (Btw. I MISS "The Lake" SO MUCH!!)

I would Love to learn/know more info. on these areas & others I haven't explored. So, I'm open to any suggestions you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville