U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 PM

2,301 posts, read 4,140,894 times
Default Craigslist Prostitution Sting

18 Men Charged in Craigslist Prostitution Sting (broken link)

I actually feel bad for these poor chumps, especially the three teachers whose faces keep being plastered all over the news. I find it totally unfair that any mis-step by a teacher lands itself on the front page, regardless of whether or not the crime impacts his or her ability to teach children in a safe and effective manner.

Soliciting sex from a prostitute belies desperation and loneliness, but who is the victim here? No one is being forced to do anything against their will. Consider the following scenarios and tell me in which instance you would find me more despicable:

Situation 1: Desperate for sex, I consult with a prostitute whom I agree to pay $300 for one night together. We do our thing, I pay her, and we part ways, having been on the same page the entire time regarding where our "relationship" stands.

Situation 2: I cruise into a bar, find the most desperate looking chick there, roll up with a fake name and fake phone number, feed her a bunch of crap and make her think I'm the man of her dreams, take her home, hump her sideways, then bail as soon as she falls asleep. Of course I don't call her the next day or ever speak to her again.

Of course #2 is worse, right? I mean, is there even any question? But as disgusting as my hypothetical actions are, a logical and pragmatic person would never say that those actions should be illegal or that it's the government's place to stop me from doing such a thing. It boils down to me being an immoral person whom God will judge in the end.

So why is prostitution any different? And why are the teachers involved being singled out to have their lives ruined when all they are doing is looking for sex with a consenting ADULT?

Please share any insight you may have.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:09 AM

231 posts, read 577,962 times
Why are they being singled out? Because that is what sells papers and gets people to tune in the local news. No one cares that Mr. XXXX the local degenerate went to the prostitute. Very sad, but very true.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:21 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,732,338 times
I agree on all accounts. Although from what I hear, there are plenty of people looking for casual encounters for free on the same site. Anyway, a messed up situation all around.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:54 AM

6,671 posts, read 10,502,650 times
I don't feel bad for them. Had they not been engaging in degenerate activities, they wouldn't be in this position right now.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 AM

68 posts, read 167,397 times
I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm hoping your user name doesn't imply you have a vested interest in this commercial enterprise

The issue is, since prostitution is a criminal act (I'm not arguing the pro or con of that, just stating a fact) the world around prostitution tends to involve a variety of other activities and individuals one typically does not want the people who interact the closest with their children involving themselves with. Not to mention, studies are endless regarding the expansion of behaviors of persons with addictive personalities and their desires for increased excitement in their activities. Yes, a large proportion of professional people who seek out prostitutes have addictive personality types. Some day you may have children and some of this may make since to you.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:59 PM

408 posts, read 813,991 times
Generally, it's nobody's business what consenting adults do.

However.

These guys decided to travel from their own upscale, "crime free" communities -- like Hendersonville and Franklin -- to create problems in someone else's neighborhood. It's like those well-to-do suburbanites who go to East Nashville to buy drugs. They get to go back home to their pristine towns while trashing someone else's.

That's my gripe. Keep it closer to home, boys, and stop adding to the problems of less privileged areas.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
Generally, it's nobody's business what consenting adults do.

However.

These guys decided to travel from their own upscale, "crime free" communities -- like Hendersonville and Franklin -- to create problems in someone else's neighborhood. It's like those well-to-do suburbanites who go to East Nashville to buy drugs. They get to go back home to their pristine towns while trashing someone else's.

That's my gripe. Keep it closer to home, boys, and stop adding to the problems of less privileged areas.
The majority of those busted lived in Nashville proper/Davidson County. There was one from Hendersonville, two from Franklin, and one from Mt. Juliet. I don't have the link pulled up, but there might have been a couple others from more rural outlying areas. Nonetheless, the ones you're griping about were by far the minority.

Also, none of these men were "creating problems" in the lives of anyone who wasn't a willing participant in the situation. It isn't like they were carrying out home invasions. No one's safety was in jeopardy. Conversely, the streets of Nashville are no safer for you and I now that these men have been busted. Therefore, in my opinion, the cops wasted their time and our tax dollars.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:48 PM

21,637 posts, read 31,006,169 times
Just a wild guess, but I bet there were not any prostitutes in their neighborhood. With the gas prices these days, I am sure they would prefer to stay closer to home.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 PM

9,018 posts, read 21,152,849 times
I guess there must be no other crime in Nashville if they're going through the trouble of arresting a few horny guys and girls who are doing their business behind closed doors. If they were having sex in a public park, that would be different. But those of you who live in Nashville can breathe easier knowing that your police have nothing else to do than make sure that women aren't selling their bodies even if it's what they really want to do.

I honestly don't know why prostitution is illegal. I mean, if Fred pays for Wilma's dinner and they go back to his place for some action, there's nothing illegal about it. But if Fred gives Wilma cash instead of dinner, they can both be arrested. It makes no sense to me.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I guess there must be no other crime in Nashville if they're going through the trouble of arresting a few horny guys and girls who are doing their business behind closed doors. If they were having sex in a public park, that would be different. But those of you who live in Nashville can breathe easier knowing that your police have nothing else to do than make sure that women aren't selling their bodies even if it's what they really want to do.

I honestly don't know why prostitution is illegal. I mean, if Fred pays for Wilma's dinner and they go back to his place for some action, there's nothing illegal about it. But if Fred gives Wilma cash instead of dinner, they can both be arrested. It makes no sense to me.
I don't always agree with your posts, but this one is spot-on. Dinner and a movie followed by sex is often nothing more than legalized prostitution. If I buy some gold-digging skank a bunch of fancy jewelry to get her to drop her drawers, does that alone make me incapable of teaching children safely and effectively?

I've talked to people who know two of the three educators arrested and they have nothing but good things to say about their character and teaching ability. I sincerely hope that their lives and careers aren't ruined because MNPD needed an excuse to avoid chasing real criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville