U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Murfreesboro or Franklin: work factor, reputable schools, most expensive county, shopping conveniences

Old 02-20-2008, 02:27 PM

35 posts, read 120,040 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking about relocating from San Diego to Nashville area. I was told we should look at Murfreesboro or Franklin but I'm not to sure what the differents is?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 03:19 PM

250 posts, read 703,106 times
There are many differences between the two, so you'll probably need to visit both and decide which area you prefer. Where will you be working? That could be the determining factor for you.

Murfreesboro and Franklin both have reputable schools, but you'll pay more for Franklin because it's in the most expensive county in the state (Williamson). Rutherford County, which is home to Murfreesboro, offers more housing for your money. Both offer all the shopping conveniences. Both are growing rapidly.

I'll PM you with some links to research...let us know what other questions you have!

Old 02-20-2008, 04:11 PM

1,716 posts, read 4,843,087 times
If you can afford it, there really aren't many reasons to choose Murfreesboro over Franklin.

If I could afford to live in Franklin, the only reason I would choose to live in Murfreesboro was if I worked there.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:27 PM

225 posts, read 842,996 times
Well I have to disagree with Mike in TN. I can afford to live in either place and I currently live in Murfreesboro after living several years in Brentwood (Williamson County.)

There are pros and cons to both areas but there are actually many reasons to choose M'boro over Franklin or visa versa. It all depends on your interests, hobbies, and lifestyle.

Williamson County is definitely the wealthier area in which to live. Beautiful homes and excellent schools. Unlimited shopping and dining. However, there is also a lot of turnover in the area and we personally didn't feel like there were a large number of lifetime residents in the area. Lots and lots of new families and executives constantly moving into and out of the area. For us, we also felt like there was a lot of keeping up with the Jones mentality in the area.

M'boro is much more affordable and definitely more middle class. We also have some excellent schools, shopping and dining...although I must admit that it is not as extensive as Williamson County. This is the fastest growing county in the state so there are a lot of new families moving to the area. But, you will also find a large number of lifetime residents here and the town has more of a hometown feeling (at least for us.) We feel more connected and at peace here. While there is and always will be peer pressure in the schools, it was not at the level that we felt in Williamson County. Our two oldest are now grown that they both say that moving here was the best thing that we could have done for them personally.

I find traffic in the Franklin area much worse than Murfreesboro. However, both areas have their traffic woes. I dont' see any big difference in commute time into Nashville from either city. We rarely go into Nashville since everything we need is located here.

M'boro does have a nice town square but it pales in comparison to the square at Franklin. We do not have the shopping and retail business in our historic district that Franklin has. However, given the prices that most of these charming boutiques have in Franklin, it wasn't anything that was hard for me to give up.

Home prices are going to be significantly less in Murfreesboro than Franklin. Rolling hills and basements are going to be found in Williamson County/Franklin and not in Murfreesboro which is basically flat. Most of our new developments are from local/custom builders in M'boro. If you are looking for tract builders like Beazer, Drees, etc, you will find more of that in the Franklin area.

Both areas are very nice and both areas have pluses and minuses. It really depends on what you are looking for personally and what type of home and neighborhood you prefer. Most of my clients can easily choose between the two areas rather quickly after visiting once or twice. They are just so different that if one appeals to you then the other will most like not.

Hope that helps a little!

Old 02-20-2008, 04:40 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,947,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellkids View Post
Well I have to disagree with Mike in TN. I can afford to live in either place and I currently live in Murfreesboro after living several years in Brentwood (Williamson County.)

There are pros and cons to both areas but there are actually many reasons to choose M'boro over Franklin or visa versa. It all depends on your interests, hobbies, and lifestyle.

Williamson County is definitely the wealthier area in which to live. Beautiful homes and excellent schools. Unlimited shopping and dining. However, there is also a lot of turnover in the area and we personally didn't feel like there were a large number of lifetime residents in the area. Lots and lots of new families and executives constantly moving into and out of the area. For us, we also felt like there was a lot of keeping up with the Jones mentality in the area.

M'boro is much more affordable and definitely more middle class. We also have some excellent schools, shopping and dining...although I must admit that it is not as extensive as Williamson County. This is the fastest growing county in the state so there are a lot of new families moving to the area. But, you will also find a large number of lifetime residents here and the town has more of a hometown feeling (at least for us.) We feel more connected and at peace here. While there is and always will be peer pressure in the schools, it was not at the level that we felt in Williamson County. Our two oldest are now grown that they both say that moving here was the best thing that we could have done for them personally.

I find traffic in the Franklin area much worse than Murfreesboro. However, both areas have their traffic woes. I dont' see any big difference in commute time into Nashville from either city. We rarely go into Nashville since everything we need is located here.

M'boro does have a nice town square but it pales in comparison to the square at Franklin. We do not have the shopping and retail business in our historic district that Franklin has. However, given the prices that most of these charming boutiques have in Franklin, it wasn't anything that was hard for me to give up.

Home prices are going to be significantly less in Murfreesboro than Franklin. Rolling hills and basements are going to be found in Williamson County/Franklin and not in Murfreesboro which is basically flat. Most of our new developments are from local/custom builders in M'boro. If you are looking for tract builders like Beazer, Drees, etc, you will find more of that in the Franklin area.

Both areas are very nice and both areas have pluses and minuses. It really depends on what you are looking for personally and what type of home and neighborhood you prefer. Most of my clients can easily choose between the two areas rather quickly after visiting once or twice. They are just so different that if one appeals to you then the other will most like not.

I totally agree with your post wellkids. I live in Murfreesboro and looked around Franklin too. I like living in Murfreesboro. There are a nice mix of people here and since I am from a culturally diverse area it feels comfortable for me to be here. I feel at peace as well. There are some very nice homes and neighborhoods here. I live in one of them! I guess it is really about what you are looking for though. The op should visit both and get a feel for them like you said. Franklin is a beautiful area too, no question about it.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:31 AM

32 posts, read 88,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellkids View Post

The information I have received from you has been most informative. I sincerely appreciate your insight. I have a couple of questions ....

1. Comparing the Nolensville (William Co.) vs Mt. Juliet (Mt. Juliet Schools vs
not Wilson Co.) and Murfreeboro (West or North Side zoning for
Rutherford Co.) which area is most likely to have a long term solid
reputation for being consistent?

For example, in the high school arena which area has less issues with peer pressure, drugs/alcohol, discipline issues.....we are very fortunate that discipline and peer pressure issues such as these are mostly non existent ...the focus is on academics and football. Our child is 9 yrs. old and we have several friends whose kids are in middle and high school. This is a long term committment and will most likely be our last move till our child goes to college. We want to make a solid, well educated decision in chosing our home and the area we will live. I KNOW this is a PERSONAL decision and opinions will vary but I would appreciate your insight on this subject. I am a former elementary education teacher so please know I am open to all opinions.

Our commute is to the I-24 Harding Place Metro area daily but overall we are strongly considering school to be the top priority. The commute is the next consideration.

We are considering Mt. Juliet, Nolensville, and Murfreesboro (West or North side). We are planning a visit to schools the first week of March.

Schools----Is it year round school? I noticed the Mt. Juliet schools have a two week vacation in March. Does anyone know when the schools report for the new school year?

Also, looking for all brick neighborhoods with 1800-2600 sq. ft. with neighborhood pool or possibly one in our own backyard. Any suggestions anywhere in these areas would be greatly appreciated.

Please also provide a link so I may reach you directly by email. Thank you for your insight and help in helping make a well informed decision.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:59 PM

225 posts, read 842,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CITYCHICK View Post
The information I have received from you has been most informative. I sincerely appreciate your insight. I have a couple of questions ....

1. Comparing the Nolensville (William Co.) vs Mt. Juliet (Mt. Juliet Schools vs
not Wilson Co.) and Murfreeboro (West or North Side zoning for
Rutherford Co.) which area is most likely to have a long term solid
reputation for being consistent?
My first advise would be to be sure and look at each school and not an entire system which you have arleady stated you are doing. There are great schools and not so great schools inside each system. Too many people refer to an entire school system and group all schools together. For academics and discipline records, you should look at each individual SCHOOL on the TN School Report Card. You can review by system and then individual schools. The link for the report card is: https://edu.warehouse.state.tn.us/pl...3104806::NO:::

I think you will find the high schools in North and West M'boro and Mt. Juliet very similar. I don't really think any one will stand head and shoulders above the other and they will all offer excellent educational programs and similar social enviroments as well. As far as peer pressure, the best way to approach that is by asking around and seeking word of mouth, or mom-to-mom opinions - nothing that I can give you a link for information on. I would recommend talking with other parents with children in each of those schools and get their opinion.

Quote:
Schools----Is it year round school? I noticed the Mt. Juliet schools have a two week vacation in March. Does anyone know when the schools report for the new school year?
Rutherford County Schools start August 11, 2008. Only city elementary schools offer a year-round calendar. High Schools and Middle Schools do get fall and spring breaks now to make them more cohesive with the city school year-round calendar.

Wilson County Schools also start August 11, 2008. Their calendar is very similar to Rutherford County with fall and spring breaks but they are not really a year-round school.
Quote:

Also, looking for all brick neighborhoods with 1800-2600 sq. ft. with neighborhood pool or possibly one in our own backyard. Any suggestions anywhere in these areas would be greatly appreciated.
I can suggest several! What price range are you in? It would help to narrow down the list to know your housing price range in addition to square footage.

Quote:
Please also provide a link so I may reach you directly by email. Thank you for your insight and help in helping make a well informed decision.
I don't think I can post my website because it would be considered advertising. If you click my profile and read about me it should give you the address for my website. My email address is sherri@sherriwellborn.com or info@soldontn.com. My websites are also my email addresses so they should be easy to find. Thanks for the kind words! I help a lot of families relocate and have lived in five counties so I do feel like I have a lot of first hand information to pass on. Feel free to email me anytime or call me through my website if you have questions.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville