Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:21 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,294 times

Advertisements

Our home is a little over 2,300 sq. ft. The bill for heating for one month was $125. It all depends on how hot you keep the house and how energy efficient your unit is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:25 PM

185 posts, read 701,588 times
I got my dreaded electric bill today and it is $227.85 up $24.00 from last month. I also read in the paper today that due to an increase from TVA our bill will increase another $7.00 starting in april. I am with CEMC and late last summer new meters were put in all homes and electric bills have almost doubled. I'll be so glad when the weather warms up some. I can't stand to many more of these high heat bills.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:38 PM

450 posts, read 1,503,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I would be surprised if you even averaged that with a 1250 SF house. If you do, then you have a problem with the house somewhere. $300 would mean you used over 3500 KWH for the month. You might have a $300 bill for one or two of the coldest months in winter, but not as an average.
alleycat your so right I will expect a couple months of $300 NOT the yearly average... Also I am learning that heating a empty DOES cost more even though my stat is at 50. After much thought I guess the bill was right.. Where I live now we have Electricity and Gas and the bill was that high with the both of them

Old 02-28-2008, 06:32 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Here's a link from a government website that ranks the states by their electric rates:
State Electricity Price Ranking
For residential service Tennessee is ranked at 41 which is pretty good. Hawaii's rates are almost three times as high and they're the highest in the nation. The states in the northeast are by far the highest in the rest of the country. Of course they don't use electricity to heat their homes in places like New England but they get clobbered with huge heating oil bills as well as having a high electric bill for everything else. I guess it could be worse.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 14,031 times
I was shocked by our electric bill. It was about 1000kwh LESS than we used last year, but it was substantially increased (almost $300).

For us to have used less, yet had a higher bill, they MUST have significantly raised rates. I wanted to cry.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:16 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godivalocks View Post
I was shocked by our electric bill. It was about 1000kwh LESS than we used last year, but it was substantially increased (almost $300).

For us to have used less, yet had a higher bill, they MUST have significantly raised rates. I wanted to cry.
Who is your local electric provider? TVA rates haven't increased anything like that.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 AM

Our provider is CEMC. My spouse actually accused me of using more electricity because the bill was so high, but I looked, and it was actually less than the same time last year.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:31 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
What was you cost per KWH then and now? I'm curious now.

My mother is with CEMC and she hasn't mentioned any kind of rate increase that high.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:39 AM

I've been looking for our bill since I posted that. Think DH paid it and threw it out. I wanted to see what the exact difference was, AND I wanted to call them and see what is up. Yeah, it was for one of the coldest months, so it was a given that it would be more expensive than the rest of the months, BUT we still used less than last year and it was MORE than last year's bill (according to their own numbers).

I looked on their site, and they did say the rates were supposed to go up on April 1 this year (yeah, nice April Fools there), so I don't know why our bill was higher.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:35 PM

450 posts, read 1,503,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godivalocks View Post
Our provider is CEMC. My spouse actually accused me of using more electricity because the bill was so high, but I looked, and it was actually less than the same time last year.
We called CEMC about our bill and they were very very helpful and they even sent is a chart stating what the temps were and how much KWH that was used. I also did a little calculating and if I did it right they charged me a little over .08 a KWH if this helps you.... I would be willing to bet they could send you usage for the past year.. Call them all they can say is no...... Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville