Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:38 PM

334 posts, read 1,281,987 times

Advertisements

I've heard several people talking about how hard it is to find a job in Nashville or around the area. I think it all depends on how determined you are and how much you are willing to accept in the market. It also depends on the experience and if you are just thinking of moving to Nashville or if you're already here. For instance our office is needing someone now that has insurance agency CSR experience and we can't wait until next month when someone is moving down. I think jobs can be found, you just know where to look and what your limitations are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNNative View Post
I've heard several people talking about how hard it is to find a job in Nashville or around the area. I think it all depends on how determined you are and how much you are willing to accept in the market. It also depends on the experience and if you are just thinking of moving to Nashville or if you're already here. For instance our office is needing someone now that has insurance agency CSR experience and we can't wait until next month when someone is moving down. I think jobs can be found, you just know where to look and what your limitations are.
I'll add another comment or two based on some of the posts I've seen.

One is I think some people are expecting too much from sites like Monster and CareerBuilder these days. Generally, you can't just look on one of these sites and find the perfect job. Use them as a secondary source, just like you would the classifieds in the newspaper, but not as your primarily job search tool.

Secondly, after identifying some of the possible companies that you would be interesting in working for is to find out the name of the person it would be best to talk to at those companies and PICK UP THE PHONE and call that person. Just sending in a resume isn't enough.

If possible, find one or more people in the line of work you're interested in and talk to them. For example, I work in the architectural and engineering field; if someone approaches me looking for work in our field, I could probably at least point them in the direction of where they might apply for a job, and possibly give them a name to talk to. This assumes someone approached me in a professional way and seems like someone that I would make a little extra effort for. Of course, I can't help too much if someone is looking for a job in the music business, or insurance, or whatever; someone would need to make a contact with someone in those business who is "in the know", so to speak.

Just some ideas. They may be of some help to someone, or maybe not. ;-)

Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
I think it depends on the field and your experience as well.

I started applying in September 07. With in two months had a call but couldn't take the job for personal reasons. Did another phone interview December, did a second This month with another company. I use the net 100% for job search. I find the company I am interested in, go their website and submit my application. People should also realize that companies generally do a hiring freeze from December to jan./feb., so don't get discouraged.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:52 AM

97 posts, read 376,487 times
Thanks for starting this thread. It makes sense. I am in that position; I apply for jobs through Careerbuilder. I have not taken the next step to call; mainly because I don't know who or what companies to call. How do I know who is hiring if I don't see it on Careerbuilder?? If you go the The Tennessean website, job postings are posted through Careerbuilder.

It is frustraiting. My husband and I are coming to the area in the beginning of April. We plan to find housing and look at the job market while we are down there and hopefully interveiw for a few.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Temp, Kimnjasonx3. Lots of corps hire mainly by picking the temps they like the work of.

Got my 1st Nashville job that way, have seen 150% increase 98 to 2007.

Last edited by bobtn; 02-29-2008 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-02-2008, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,068 times
Being a single person, it took me a while to find a job here so that I could move to the area. I currently live in the Antioch area due too it put me between where I work in and where I go to church. I heard alot of negative things about Antioch, but I did find a apartment on Mt View Rd that is a nice place. The reason for my post is that I would like some info on job agencies, which others would recommend. I have been in the hotel managment business for about 13 years and would like to find a different type of employment. The hotel business is a interesting business but I have grown tired of the 24 hour operation responsibility and working for non benefit properties, since I am single I would need a income of what I make now to support myself and I would like to be able to move to the Madison, Goodlettsville, or Hendersonville area due to my church I attend is in Madison. I have my profile on hcareers and career builder, I have had some offers but they have been in insurance sales, which sales is a area that I am not interested in.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:34 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2900 View Post
Being a single person, it took me a while to find a job here so that I could move to the area. I currently live in the Antioch area due too it put me between where I work in and where I go to church. I heard alot of negative things about Antioch, but I did find a apartment on Mt View Rd that is a nice place. The reason for my post is that I would like some info on job agencies, which others would recommend. I have been in the hotel managment business for about 13 years and would like to find a different type of employment. The hotel business is a interesting business but I have grown tired of the 24 hour operation responsibility and working for non benefit properties, since I am single I would need a income of what I make now to support myself and I would like to be able to move to the Madison, Goodlettsville, or Hendersonville area due to my church I attend is in Madison. I have my profile on hcareers and career builder, I have had some offers but they have been in insurance sales, which sales is a area that I am not interested in.

Are you interested in insurance companies ? (not sales)

Old 03-02-2008, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,068 times
I might consider it as long as it was not any type of sales and not based on commission.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:55 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
I'd like info on insurance companies as well. I'm hoping to get a job teaching in the fall, but it's not like I can count on that, so I have to keep my options open. I really like anything to do with numbers - anything from budgeting to analyzing. I'm sure I could find something in insurance that would keep me interested.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:14 PM

156 posts, read 609,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post

----One is I think some people are expecting too much from sites like Monster and CareerBuilder these days.

----If possible, find one or more people in the line of work you're interested in and talk to them. For example, I work in the architectural and engineering field; if someone approaches me looking for work in our field, I could probably at least point them in the direction of where they might apply for a job, and possibly give them a name to talk to. This assumes someone approached me in a professional way and seems like someone that I would make a little extra effort for.

Just some ideas. They may be of some help to someone, or maybe not. ;-)

Alleycat - I'm new to City-Data and am still reading all these threads. Had two comments based on what you'd said:
#1 - you're absolutely right about people relying on Monster & CareerB. Actually, Monster seems to have been having lots of site glitches, messing up my job search agents and eventually, my account. So, don't use/need them right now.
#2 - you mentioned being in architecture and engineering. I am considering moving back to that city and have been in Defense for 4 years as an executive assistant. My background is in the arts, but I have learned that the administration field does better at paying bills. I, of course, plan to use some personal contacts there (though most of them are retired), but wondered where you recommend I begin applying as far as SOLID engineering/high-tech firms (i.e., have seen too many layoffs in my life). I know all about staffing firms, too. They usually-to-always say they can't help until they know one is all moved in and settled. Thanks for any help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville