Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:41 AM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
I agree. If what your neighbors are doing bothers you so much, you should be on 5 acres where you have no neighbors. Moving in and complaining will just create tension. I also agree with the parking comment in East Nashville. That was a big turn off for us and one reason we don't live there. I think one reason they do it is because the lots are barely big enough to fit the house. We looked at some houses where the driveway would not fit my crew cab pickup all by itself.

Good point.

We bought 11 acres 6 years ago. We also brought all our cars and trucks with us when we moved from our house in town of ten years.Hey, we paid for the house,wasn't like anyone could kick us out for cars being they were all tagged. I'd be lost with only a car or two.Though it's not in the pict, we also have a 2000 Cougar and a Ford dually not caught in the pict.Any one of them can be driven anywhere.Dunno, just like havin' 'em around, can't sell whats been good to me,and still road worthy.We only had a half acre yard before we moved here, shoulda seen that yard n town then.Thats why we love Alexandria, you'll see barb wire fences with cows between houses within rock throwing distance from the square and city hall, and cars in the grass.Folks don't judge here, after all, we all feel if you paid for a home,and it's a clear deed to you,,whats it matter? It's yours to do with.

I let my daughter mow once in a while since the horses don't eat it all down.Nice yard pets just the same though.

Last edited by RS-1080; 08-27-2008 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:18 PM

187 posts, read 611,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
But that assumes that we're all just individuals who happen to live in a particular area.

I see myself as part of a neighborhood, and that we have a responsibility to each other, not just ourselves.

My neighbors might not like me very much -- my area's conservative and religious, and I'm sure they've figured out that my partner and I aren't just housemates -- but we haven't had any problems because we maintain our property well. They understand, as we do, that taking care of our house is respectful of _our_ neighborhood.

There's also the "broken window theory," that says the breakdown of an area starts with the little things -- like a broken window that goes unrepaired. When those around see that the little things don't matter, a shift in attitudes begins, and those who _do_ care start drifting away, either emotionally or physically. Those who don't care start letting things go even more, and eventually the area becomes blighted.

So caring about these things isn't the behavior of a control freak, but a way of making sure the neighborhood remains a good place to live on a number of levels.
Very well said! I could not agree more

Old 08-30-2008, 04:40 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,517 times
RS-1080....Even though I don't like cars parked on lawns either, I enjoyed your post! My question to you is...how does one keep the tags up to date on all those vehicles...here in CA it costs hundreds of dollars a year for just one car! Do people do this because (I've noticed) there aren't many garages to be had for most homes? By the way, my husband and I are looking to move to TN next year!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:38 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
It costs $24 in my county here in Tennessee to register a vehicle (not in or near Nashville) each year but the costs aren't much different county to county.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:56 PM

185 posts, read 701,383 times
We have 2 vehicles and it cost us $109.00 each to renew our licenses each year. Insurance is $943.00 for both.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 PM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
RS-1080....Even though I don't like cars parked on lawns either, I enjoyed your post! My question to you is...how does one keep the tags up to date on all those vehicles...here in CA it costs hundreds of dollars a year for just one car! Do people do this because (I've noticed) there aren't many garages to be had for most homes? By the way, my husband and I are looking to move to TN next year!
It only costs 216.00 a year to tag 9 of them ( 24.00 each ). Thats just about as much as our land tax on 11 acres

Not only that, we have no inspections so alot of folks run true dual exaust from the engine back, no catalytic converters under them.

Heres a daily driver engine I put together, sounds sweet hittin' a big ole lick.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
It only costs 216.00 a year to tag 9 of them ( 24.00 each ). Thats just about as much as our land tax on 11 acres

Not only that, we have no inspections so alot of folks run true dual exaust from the engine back, no catalytic converters under them.

Heres a daily driver engine I put together, sounds sweet hittin' a big ole lick.

Hey RS...your engine looks pretty impressive to me...even though I don't know much about engines! My husband tells me all I know how to do is "put it in drive!" Do you all have to do smog checks at all? We have to do that every other year here in CA, so you can't really make any changes to your motor, so to speak. We paid $112 this year to registar our Ford...you got a good deal!

Old 08-31-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
It costs $24 in my county here in Tennessee to register a vehicle (not in or near Nashville) each year but the costs aren't much different county to county.
You all are pretty fortunate there...it sure costs us a lot more here in CA. Plus we have to get our vehicles smogged every other year...so that's an added expense on top of registration...and heaven help you if you don't pass smog...then you have to spend more money to get it up to par! Our registration this past year was $112 for just one car!

Old 08-31-2008, 03:36 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post

Nice looking engine. Looks like a 302?

I am a bit jealous, the 455 for my GTO has been sitting for months waiting for me to assemble and install it.

You said $24.00 each. Are there any additional costs associated with yearly registration? Smog,safety inspections, wheel tax (?), etc>

Old 08-31-2008, 04:30 PM

957 posts, read 3,698,765 times
Some counties have smog testing, but that's it. There is no safety inspection like some states have. They do a gas cap leak test, check that the cats have not been removed and for 1998 and newer vehicles that are OBDII compliant they just plug into the computer and make sure it has not set any codes. If the engine light is not on, it will pass. Older vehicles get the sniff test. I think anything older than 1975 is exempt.

In Davidson County, I pay $76/year for tags. Someone told me that they pay $114/year in Robertson County. It's the sales tax on vehicles that gets you. 7% is very steep on big ticket item like a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville