U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:40 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,791,559 times

Advertisements

I just moved here in January and I think the people are very friendly and I like it but at least where I live in East Nashville it seems to be a common practice for people to just park their car, or sometimes a few cars, on their lawns. I've never lived anyplace where people did that and I think it tends to make the neighborhood look run down to a certain extent. I asked the guy who hooked up my cable tv about it and he laughed and said it was a redneck thing. I know this isn't any major issue but I get the feeling that alot of those cars don't even run and I wonder why anyone would hang on to some piece of junk that makes their yard look like a used car lot. Any thoughts? In any case I like the people I've met in Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 05:21 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,669,831 times
Talking You may be a redneck if

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I just moved here in January and I think the people are very friendly and I like it but at least where I live in East Nashville it seems to be a common practice for people to just park their car, or sometimes a few cars, on their lawns. I've never lived anyplace where people did that and I think it tends to make the neighborhood look run down to a certain extent. I asked the guy who hooked up my cable tv about it and he laughed and said it was a redneck thing. I know this isn't any major issue but I get the feeling that alot of those cars don't even run and I wonder why anyone would hang on to some piece of junk that makes their yard look like a used car lot. Any thoughts? In any case I like the people I've met in Nashville.
You hear "lawn ornaments" and think of automobiles.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:22 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,393,074 times
They probably just don't have enough driveway or area in the street to park all of their cars. It's pretty common. I counted seven cars today next door to the place we're buying.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:27 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,778,474 times
Just one more reason I like living in an HOA, its totally against the rules here. I think it looks trashy.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:19 AM

119 posts, read 777,526 times
Thumbs down parking cars on lawns

Even when I lived in a neighborhood in Hermitage a few years ago that had an HOA people still parked on their grass. I hated it. I've never seen it anywhere else either. It's so trashy.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:33 PM

3,907 posts, read 9,552,980 times
I've never seen that either. Not major? I'd think it was major if it happened on my street

Old 03-01-2008, 04:00 PM

16 posts, read 49,405 times
Default you may be a redneck if...

you see extra cars in the yard and think they're guest rooms!

Old 03-01-2008, 04:32 PM

290 posts, read 939,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I could be wrong, but a think there is a Nashville city ordinance against parking cars on lawns. One of the worst offenders I have seen in my neighborhood is a cop who live a couple blocks from me. And, all his neighbors have 5-8 cars parked all over their lawns. I think it tends to lower property values if someone's yard looks like used car lot.

The only problem on my block was my next door neighbor had a car on jacks beside his house. The guy was building his "dream" car. I noticed a couple of weeks ago, the car and jacks were gone. Don't know if the city got on to him or not.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:45 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,791,559 times
I actually think it looks really trashy myself but I didn't want to come across as a newcomer who moves to town and starts telling people how they should behave so I toned down my original statement a little bit. If people would make an effort to take care of their property no matter where they live it really would be appreciated by their neighbors. I know that I looked at houses that were very nice and had been taken care of when I was looking at real estate recently but there were several homes I looked at that had trashed out houses right next door and that ruled out buying those particular houses.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:50 PM

290 posts, read 939,673 times
I agree with you 100% MontanaGuy. I have a neighbor who only mows his lawn when his grass gets a foot deep. His house looks like it has been abandoned. And, this is a nice neighborhood where 98% of the people take pride in their homes and lawns. I think the city has to threaten him before he will mow his lawn. And, he has a riding mower and on a quarter acre lot, it only takes about 30 minutes for him to mow his yard. I have a regular lawn mower (I like the exercise and to listen to my IPOD while mowing) and it only takes me an hour and a half, and that includes weed wacking.

By the way, welcome to Nashville.

I have been here since 1982 as a permanent resident. My Grandparents used to live in Hendersonville on Drakes Creek. When Daddy was in the Air Force, we would come up during summer vacations for a week in the 50's and 60's. So, I have been through Nashville quite a few times before settling down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville