Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 03:43 PM

153 posts, read 197,121 times

Advertisements

Just curious to hear the thoughts of some of the posters on here,

What are your thoughts on how Nashville will change in the next 5-10 years? Everything here is ridiculously booming. Construction galore. People moving in constantly. Newer elements replacing Southern tendencies.

What do you think the city will look like in the very near future in your opinion?

Specifically areas like East Nashville, Madison, The Gulch, Broadway, West End, Green Hills, Charlotte Ave. and etc. What do you think will happen in the suburbs and outlying areas due to all the growth?

This post is all based on curiosity and the prospection on Nashville's renaissance it's currently undergoing.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 05:59 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
I was in Denver again this weekend. If people in Nashville want to see what this place would ideally look like in 10 years, go there.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:59 PM

382 posts, read 488,902 times
I agree with the above statement. Some people say we will be Charlotte in 10 years, however I think it will be much more than Charlotte in only 5 years, no matter how the population stats stack up. We are flirting with bigger players.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:35 PM

800 posts, read 950,919 times
Nashville has a very fragmented layout that makes traffic much worse than in various larger cities, and if it hits 2.5 million it's going to achieve a level of gridlock that will make it a hellish place to live.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:19 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
5 Years: We will be larger than Indianapolis and Cincinnati (MSA), but smaller than Pittsburgh. The traffic will be much more along the I-65 corridor catching up to I-24 and I-40 at rush hour, and gridlock will occur well past Spring Hill all the way to the Columbia exit (46). A large amount of retail, commercial, and some office space will have opened in the city and metro area. Downtown will need major infrastructure upgrades (widening interstates is not going to cut it) to improve access and increase business development. Light rail, interstate reconfiguration, new ramps, new spurs, and exits will be needed to fill the current void in infrastructure (i.e. I-440/I-24/I-40 junction approaching downtown, lack of limited access highway between Smyrna/South Nashville and Franklin, 4 lane completion of highway 109 from Wilson County to Kentucky Border)

10 years: We will be about the same size Charlotte is now, only with much worse traffic, higher job and population growth. Due to the lack of infrastructure and limited funding to improve the status quo, Nashville's "it" city status will have worn off by this time. Commute times will be 50% worse than what they are now, and hotel rates will fall. Nashville will continue with major infill projects, and may have a few new tallests come to fruition. The riverfront will be fully accessible, with ample park space and mixed use developments taking shape.

East Nashville will be a major area of mixed use and commercial development. The dilapidated government housing will be gone completely, being replaced with a mix of affordable housing and upscale crafstman style homes. Sprouts, Trader Joes, and Kroger will have brand new stores in the area with additional retail and local clothing stores. Gallatin and Dickerson Pikes will see new life with more apartments and chain stores.

Madison will be largely unchanged only with more housing, and a few new parks.

The Gulch will see several new office and hotel towers see completion.

Broadway will see more local startups, mix of bars, and smaller scale hotels.

West End will be largely unchanged with more infill and more office space.

Midtown will large scale residential and commercial growth.

Ditto for Charlotte Avenue

Green Hills will see the addition or sidewalks, pedestrian crossing, aligned intersections. Hill Center Green Hills will double in size with additional retail and restaurants. TMAGH will see the addition of two new anchors including Crate and Barrel and either Saks Fifth Avenue or Neiman Marcus. Currents lots will continue to be subdivided into more substantial housing. Woodmont boulevard will see the addition of turn lanes, sidewalks, curb and gutters. Starbucks will build a standalone store in the 100 Oaks Mall area.

Berry Hill/Fairgrounds will see major redevelopment and the addition of a large recreational/park space. More local art galleries, and small artisan retail will take shape.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:03 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Gallatin and Dickerson Pikes will see new life
This is already starting with new townhouses built and more on the way.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:12 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I was in Denver again this weekend. If people in Nashville want to see what this place would ideally look like in 10 years, go there.
Denver is larger now then Nashville will be in 10 years. I would hate to see what Nashville metro would look like with 3 million people. 20yrs maybe. 10 no. The infrastructure is so far behind and conservative Tennessee politics will probably slow things down before hitting 3 million.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:05 PM

800 posts, read 950,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
5 Years: We will be larger than Indianapolis and Cincinnati (MSA), but smaller than Pittsburgh
In 2020 Cincinnati and Dayton will likely be combined into a single MSA in 2020 of 2.9-3 million. The two downtowns are 54 miles apart but sprawl grew contiguous between the two after 2000. This is about the same distance between Nashville to Bowling Green, KY, but with stuff along the highway the entire distance.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:11 AM

58 posts, read 59,609 times
This is so interesting to me. I was born and raised in Nashville, then moved to Orlando at the beginning of 2012. It seems as soon as I moved away, Nashville started growing at an unreal rate. Here in Orlando, I feel like the clock has been set back and they are in the verrrrry beginning of the growth phase for the city.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:20 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,313,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETap0687 View Post
This is so interesting to me. I was born and raised in Nashville, then moved to Orlando at the beginning of 2012. It seems as soon as I moved away, Nashville started growing at an unreal rate. Here in Orlando, I feel like the clock has been set back and they are in the verrrrry beginning of the growth phase for the city.

You could trace a lot to May of 2013 when the new Music City Center convention building opened for business in the SouBro area. Combined with additions to the Country Music Hall of Fame a lot has been built & planned for the area. Combined with the Gulch the SouBro area extends to the I-40 loop.

My initial thought for the future of Nashville is it depends on the success of the Trump economy & the changes he makes to Obamacare. Time will tell what lower federal taxes, fewer regulations will mean. From the state depends how they raise gas & fuel tax to fund transportation with some local money for MTA & RTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville