Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:17 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,524 times

Advertisements

speaking as a white middle aged couple living in Franklin....we are not "white bread", aren't bigots and find people that are boring as dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:18 PM

12 posts, read 36,209 times
50% of Nashvillians moved here from California. Gays are quite welcome. Gays absolutely SAVED East Nashville. When gay couples moved here a decade back and started rehabbing the beautiful old houses, East Nashville was reinvented as an Arts community.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:39 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencard View Post
50% of Nashvillians moved here from California. Gays are quite welcome. Gays absolutely SAVED East Nashville. When gay couples moved here a decade back and started rehabbing the beautiful old houses, East Nashville was reinvented as an Arts community.
Gotta disagree. Some parts of Nashville are more gay-friendly than others, but I remember how unpleasant things got when Metro tried to pass a non-discrimination ordinance a couple of years ago.

They're about to introduce another one -- tomorrow, I think -- and though it will probably pass this time, a lot of people are going to fight it.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 PM

12 posts, read 36,209 times
Default City Of Franklin - Politically Corrupt

Last week the The City of Franklin, Mayor and Board of Alderman, decided our small neighborhood needed a sewer line.
They threatened to condemn our homes and take them from us if our septics failed. Each of the 10 property owners on our little street (many elderly) must now pay the city $15,000 whether we tap into the sewer line or not.
Should we chose to tap into the sewer line, we would have to tear up our paved driveway, lay 100 yards of pipe and pay to have our septic system removed.
If you were thinking of retiring in Franklin Tennessee, don't.

Last edited by greencard; 11-21-2009 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Left a word out.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 PM

7 posts, read 15,659 times
I agree Franklin/Brentwood are nice areas. I grew up in Franklin and still have family there. Now, I live in Virginia Beach. Presently, the problem with Franklin/Brentwood both are foo foo, yuppie, etc. Lots of stay at home soccer Moms driving around their one kid in large SUVs, going to the spa or having their foo foo coffee with 33 gms of sugar, etc. Then, they want to know why their waist and buttocks are resembling a spare tire. Have another Starbuck's coffee, your insulin levels are thanking you-- store fat, store fat-- looks like her butt and waist need more fat pockets. Franklin/Brentwood are all about status. Hope you have the income to keep up. Most are living up to their eyeballs in debt. Not all are healthcare professionals like myself, lawyers, athletes, country singers, etc. I still come back often to visit family. Would I ever return there permanently, not a chance. A little bit too slow for me. Unless you are into shopping, chain restaurants and being in redneck central, it may not be for you either. One good thing, most people are friendly with the exception of snobs who are transplants from the North or California. Another positive, crime is low, and its a great conservative family town. If you happen to be single, stay far away. Anyway, all of this comes from someone who grew up in Franklin. Again, I still make trips there to visit family. I will continue to visit, but I don't want to live there. Yes, it has changed quite a bit over the years. Hope this helps.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 9,983 times
I live in Franklin, tho I'm originally from NYC. While there's a definite middle-America family vibe here, there's a lot of people from all over the country and a pretty well-educated demographic, so it's not especially narrow or provincial.
Depends on what your friend is looking for; a quiet suburban feel or a more urban, high-energy kind of place. Also, Nashville has an active gay community. Franklin's is darn near invisible. I'd suggest your friends come down and take a look for themselves.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:42 PM

4 posts, read 12,239 times
Tennessee has been run state-wide by Democrats for the last 120 years, and now the Republicans have taken over the state legislature and are likely to take over the governorship next year, so watch out. They've already put in guns in the bars and state parks. That being said, Williamson County is overwhelmingly republican and Brentwood has multi-million dollars homes stacked on top of one another. The country music people who live there build monster-sized houses. That being said, Nashville is a tolerant town, for the most part, and I would consider a move to East Nashville. It is undergoing a revitalization and is a very hip place to live, or Belmont and 12th Avenue, or Green Hills, where alternative lifestyles are more easily accepted. East Nashville has beautiful old homes that have become run down, but the historic neighborhoods are bringing them back. Just get a good realtor and watch where you buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville